• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How old is your computer?

How old is your machine?

• Less than a year old

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 1 - 3 years old

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 4 - 5 years old

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 6+ years old

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Stallion

Sea Dog
Public Relations
Just wondering if this could be a big reason the Build is so popular - because older computers can run it fairly well. It's something I've always wondered about, but never thought to make a poll to find out.

Mine is going on 7+ years. Plan on building a new one later this year.

How is yours running, Meigger? I'm just wondering if between 7 and 8 years is the average life span for a computer nowadays. I remember using Win-95 machines well into my later High School grades, with the schools only getting rid of them to have newer technology.

My rig is from September 2004, so I voted for 4-5 years old. But, it has 2 years old power supply and a motherboard from mid-2008.

However, I would run AoP: CoAS on it (although not AoP: CT).

pirate_kk 

My own computer: the rig is 6+, all vital parts exchanged/upgraded summer 2009. My boss has provided me with a laptop which is new.

I built my current PC in 2008, you can find the specs in my sig. I am hoping to get a few more years out of it, but I am seriously thinking about getting a laptop, specifically THIS one! :woot

How is yours running, Meigger? I'm just wondering if between 7 and 8 years is the average life span for a computer nowadays.
IRS regulations (depreciation schedules) put computers at 7 year lifespans

however, 7 years is exceptionally long for modern computers - its rare to reach 5 years before the system fails - rarer still to reach 4 years without "needing" to upgrade the abilities of the computer.

I built my current PC in 2008, you can find the specs in my sig. I am hoping to get a few more years out of it, but I am seriously thinking about getting a laptop, specifically THIS one! :woot
That notey is billed as an "ultimate gaming computer"

but they don't even list the video card/chip in the hard-to-read specifications box.

Marketing declaring itself as "flim-flam"

(even if the vid is declared further into the web page, since it ain't on page 1, its self-declared-hype)

Try clicking on the "Tech Specs" tab rupert. This laptop blows away my desktop!

Video Controller

* ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 GDDR5 1024MB
* PCI-Expressâ„¢ 16X
* Microsoft® DirectX® 11 Compatible
* Dual-View capable Supports two different applications open at one time; one on the External Monitor, and one on the Laptop Screen. Multi-tasking has never been more convenient.

How is yours running, Meigger? I'm just wondering if between 7 and 8 years is the average life span for a computer nowadays. I remember using Win-95 machines well into my later High School grades, with the schools only getting rid of them to have newer technology.

Mine runs fine. I forgot to mention that I have upgraded the video card, power supply, added more memory. However, the CPU (Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz) is still the original. Probably with the upgrades, minus CPU, my current desktop is about 3+ years old. However, I do have a 1 year old laptop.

Try clicking on the "Tech Specs" tab rupert. This laptop blows away my desktop!
um

repeat

It not be on their first page and they declare it to be a gaming machine

they self declare flim-flam

All marketing by definition is hype, if your to lazy to look at the tech specs with an extra click, then it wouldn't matter what kind of video card it had. And by the way, it clearly says Radeon HD 5870 in the bottom right corner of the main picture. :rolleyes:

I bought mine last Dec. And it's almost 2 years old according to the manufacture date 06-2008

My dad has a 8 year old pc, with Pentium 3.. It still runs.

However the PC is so outdated, it lags while watching YouTube.

Mine is about 4 years old. I did replace the graphic card and in some ram 2 years ago.

Mine is 5 years old but been rebuilt/upgraded twice. It's currently dual core, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA 9800 GTX with PhysX card, upgraded 750 power supply, and extra fan running Vista Home Premium SP2.

It's been a great machine with no lag on anything I play including Empire Total War on highest graphics. However, it's time for a new one. Got my eye on an ASUS with Quad core, 10 GB RAM, NVIDIA 250, 800 power supply and Windows 7 Professional. What's insane is that this machine is only $1200 and my last one cost twice that. A few years back and a machine like that would've gone for like 5 or 6000 bucks. :no

Gotta love technology!!! :yes

one on now is dads,bout 5 years old,still stock on the tower side,has a 3 year old monitor and newish keyboard and mouse integrated Intel chipset so can't play potc or aop 1 or 2 well 1 plays but it's so laggy i don't bother to play it.has a Intel Pentium 4 processor 3.0 MHz 254 mbs of ram and 119 gbs hard drive.

Back