• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to use a grenade?

Redrick

Landlubber
I've been trying to follow the controls, but I cannot figure out how to throw this thing. I'm also very new to the mod/game, and am finding it pretty unforgiving (good thing). Is it normal to go down in a sword fight in 1 or 2 hits, I appear to be taking damage, even when I block. Also, do officers come back if they are killed or are they done? Does the game have a set amount of officers to the point where I will run out? :(

I'm trying to get some revenge on some highway men, and even with my officer and I, we get handled. I have a grenade which I think will really help, but yeah, I can't figure out how to throw this thing. I tried googling the controls for it, but no luck, and the keyboard layout controls in game don't say anything about how to use them

Thanks!

:ahoy

Yes it is normal to die in 1-2 strokes early on. In fact you can still die in 1-2 strokes much later in the game even with armor. It's all about timing. Also, the better your sword is the less damage you take when blocking.

Dead officers are dead but there is a steady supply of them in the taverns. Losing their equipment is worse than losing them.

You only have 1 grenade? Figure on using 4 grenades per person. Often more. To use it first Equip it. To throw it draw your sword and then hit the Q button. Your target will turn red if you are close enough. You want to be just barely in range so you have time to throw lots more grenades or re equip with other weapons. Or just take off running around them.

The other special weapons will also come in handy.

Thank you for the help.

Q does not work for me. I have the grenade equipped, and even at face to face range the grenade cannot be thrown. Any other ideas?

EDIT: fixed the grenade issue, but now I've run into another where the game no longer decides if I die or live and wake up in a tavern. It just does the death screen film, and then goes back in game to have me look at my corpse. Any ideas?

Last edited:
There is a survival chance setting in the menu.

It is also fun to create a half buried box by talking to a tavern hired officer.
Talking to that box allow you to equip it with a grenade transforming it into a trip mine.
That is pretty dangerous but powerful too.

When you die just start over from your last save. Always save before entering combat.

Back