• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hurtin' Balls!

Harrow

Freelance Modder
Storm Modder
Code:
	Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageHull	= 1.0;
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageRig		= 0.1;
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageCrew	= 0.1;
That's in the CMv3 (Maybe CMv2 aswell..)

Here's the original one:
Code:
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageHull	= 8.0;
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageRig		= 0.5;
Goods[GOOD_BALLS].DamageCrew	= 0.2;

I went on to test that.. I mean.. do you guys know how much time it takes now to sink a ship? :eek: Even if I'm on a ship-of-the-line, with 40+ cannons more than the small brig I'm hunting down..
Where is the realism in that? I mean.. 100 guns, loaded with bombs, on max stats as a Cannooner, navigator.. ALL STATS maxed out (yes I cheated to test this).

Hell, you know what I did to test this? I went on and changed culverin's 20lbs damage to about 20. (FORT Cannons are 8.. imagine.)
Still, I wasn't able to sink a ship in one shot. Even if I had a ship of the line, and was against a small scouting slooper or lugger. :modding

Seriously.. I'm changing this for myself but shouldn't it be revamped for the CMv3? It's totally unrealistic.. I can't sink anything anymore! And I'm talking about cheats, imagine what it was without.
Is ANYONE playing with the CMv3 or just testing? :blink:

(I came to see that when I was putting the Livestock mod into a Vanilla compatible version)

Yes there has been changes to those value's and with more cannons added its not going to be as hard as it was. The changes have been made today about 3 hours ago because i forgot to change them earlier. I'm about to test the new value's out and will make changes as i test.

Oh damn i knew i forgot to update something, thanks for pointing this one out. :onya

I've made some changes and will test them out, new cannons have been added and after testing i noticed a few things so i will test again in the minute and update with the new changes. Those value's you have are for RTBL a mod that was in developement before CMV1 was started, it was released into CMV2 but had problems configuring it all. If i set the 20Ibs cannons to damage multiplier = 20.0 i would have noticed ship damage, i noticed a difference with just 12Ibs cannons with the same value's as the CMV2 mod and no changes to the damage multiplier code. :shrug

In real life it could take hours with both ships within a few yards of each broadside to broadside, firing into each others hulls and it could end up been a boarding party to decide the battle. Of course small ships like Sloops wouldn't stand a chance against a MOW or even a Frigate.

All right well, I can sleep on both ears now that I know this will be updated and fixed in CMv3.
I'm all for the realism of sea warfare, but some of these values are just plain ridiculous. ^_^

beat me to the punch ya did on that one. I was screwing with the settings as well, because ya, a broadside from a frigate should totally take a sloop. :boom

But if this been adjusted for cmv3 then im as happy as a clam! xD:

Well lets just say the area i'm working on at the moment will adjust a few things which will make Smaller ships less of a problem against the larger ships such as the Frigates, it will take more than one broadside to sink them but a few broadsides would certainly be enough. The reason for every ship been tested is to make sure it all works as planned. This will not be ready for CMV3 but if a patch is released you will see it in there. :onya

excellent! I suppose i was a bit over zealous in saying a frigate should take out a sloop...

A direct hit from a manowar mind you..... :boom

Well yes a MOW's broadside vs a Sloop = a badly damaged Sloop or a sinking feeling, again though it will depend on distance from the Sloop. If right by each other its bye bye Sloop. At distance the Sloop might take a few direct hits but not enough to seriously do anything and the Sloop will live for another day. The same for Frigates vs Sloops, or any ship with 40+ guns mounted. Or any ship really, if they are close they can deliver deverstating resaults and when i've finished doing what i want to do for a later patch you will see things like that. :will

Testing is underway for the more detailed realistic battles and the ship i started my test on was the Bermuda Sloop, to make the testing quicker i have decided i will use a companion as the test subject sailing the ships i want to blow to pieces. In the four tests i sank the Bermuda Sloop every time with a single broadside from a Battle MOW 100, 42Ibs cannons. The final test i did after once again increasing the hp of the Bermuda Sloop was the Bermuda Sloop had just over 400 HP left which is what i wanted. Yes in real life a Bermuda Sloop would be sunk by a MOW, but for ballance and to not make the game so hard i thourght it would be best if i get as close as i can to the ships and broadside them, see how much damage has been done using the same ship Battle MOW with 100 42Ibs cannons. If the damage isn't enough reduce the hp value's if its too much (depending on ship type) increase its hp value's. So far with one ship down i'm and every ship to be tested this will take at least a week or two depending on time available. Just thourght i would inform you all of this so you can be ready for it. There will be two versions for this, OP will decide which makes it into CMV3 patch 1 or 2 (depending on how long it takes). The one i'm trying to sort out now will be the more ballanced one where you don't sit for hours blasting each other and not getting any where, i want you to be able to see the resaults of broadsides (this will depened on ship, calibure mounted, distance from each other etc) But in truth you should see at least a slight decrease in enemy hp no matter what distance you are from each other, obviously the closer you are to one another the more deverstasting the broadside(s) will be. Next up is the Lugger. Will update you all on how its all going later. :onya

Question Luke: What is the abilities of you and companion and crews for the test and what graduated modifiers are in place for these variables. Only reason I'm asking is that we may want to look at other numbers in conjunction with this. To assume a MOW will always kill a sloop is the going in perception. I would counter that if I have the beginner skill sets that I have (remember all the complaints we get from beginners using the Arabella)when I start and my crew is all a bunch of Spanish sheepherders (landlubber status) then I may not sink the sloop simply because my gunnery is so bad that I miss. If the test is meant to validate fully trained crew and captain against same then I agree with the entry argument and premise that the MOW sinks sloop. Maybe you already looked at other numbers. Been out of the loop a lot. You're doing great work brother.

MK

Thanks MK, its been a while since we last spoke hows things?

The tests are will maxed out characters and maxed out gunnery for crew and all perks. When i fire a broadside at the ships the icon for swapping goods over between ships is on so thats how close to the other ships i am. If i was say 400 yards away then i wouldn't sink the Bermuda Sloop although i would servely damage it as with any small ship like the Bermuda Sloop. The Sloop its self is a little harder but two broadsides and its bye bye Sloop and the same for most other class 6 ships. Thye trade ships like Carval, Fluet etc have more hull hp so it will take about 2 more broadsides at close range. Corvette's are not as stronge as Frigates so they will take about 4 to 5 broadsides while Frigates will take around 7 to 8. Don't forget this is all at close range, chances are you will try to aviod getting close to any ship like the MOW in less your in a ship capable of withstanding its awesome broadsides.

I've now tested all of class 6 ships and the first thing i noticed after i had double checked them over again was how quick the crew was been killed on all ship types i had tested, so i need to retest the new value's for that area. The good news is once all this side is done to make the RTBL version it will only require a change to one line of code so then we could try to get the option to set normal or RTBL version through the options rather than having to swicth files over. :will

I have set round shot damage multiplier to 5 its default value was 8, setting it to 8 will sink Corvette's with about 2 Broadsides which is completely unrealistic. This version i'm working on now is for those who like quick battles, the next version will be RTBL for those who like a more realistic naval battle. :onya

Nicely done Luke!
This sounds like a difficult under taking...So i will do my best to make it harder :modding

I wonder if instead of changing all the hit point values of the ships, if you were to just change the damage done by the different cannons and ammunition. Im not sure which would be more difficult to do.

I think either way would bring about same result.

(FB EDIT: I just thought of this, but if the damage done by cannons was changed it would affect the destruction of a fort...so um, :modding )

(EDIT EDIT: This post was being written after modern knights post...)

In RTBL V1 we went down the route of changing the cannons damage multiplier and that didn't work what did work was ships hull hp. You will be happy to know i have decided cannons took too long to reload so i have reduced each calibure to allow for slightly quicker reload times. This in turn means forts reload quicker too. Changing cannon damage multiplier changes the following, how much damage each calibure can deliver with each calibure been a little better than the previous one. By the time you reach the fort guns you will have a big increase in there damage multiplier which means your sunk quicker. I had already reduced cannon damage multiplier because i was able to take half a War Galleons HP with a single broadside from 44 or 46, 22Ibs cannons. They had to be changed because a few extra calibures was added for CMV3 which bumped every calibures damage multiplier up. Tomorrow i will start testing the class 4 and 5 ships, i want to now take a Sloop out and see how it goes in a battle against what ever wants to attack me. xD:

Ok finished the testing the ships with maxed out stats, and i can reveal some interesting resaults.

1. It will cost alot more to upgrade the hull strength on any ship at Bermuda. That was a given anyway since ship hp was increased for all ships.

2. You can sink almost all class 6 ships like the Sloop and similar in one to two broadsides from a MOW with maxed out character and perks.

3. A MOW with the same maxed out character and perks was sunk with 7 broadsides.

So everyone understand how i'm conducting these tests, i have maxed out a charater using the cheats, he has every perk available which in a normal game without cheating is not possible. I'm using a Battle MOW with 100, 42Ibs cannons mounted, you can upgrade to 48Ibs which will obviously increase the destructive power of the MOW's broadsides. I'm using an officer to control the ship(s) i'm testing on and then parking right next to them, under a normal game you would not sink a MOW with 7 broadsides but instead it would take around 10 to 13 close broadsides, i'm yet to test it out under normal game conditions without any perks though. When attacking at distance you will not do as much damage, that is obvious since not all shots with hit there target and those that do will not be as effective.

Testing with a Sloop with no cheats been used i found myself a Cutter to attack but the weather was far from ideal with heavy waves most shots missed even when close enough to deal heavy blows, its like the waves wait for your guns to load and then block you from hitting the AI ships. :slap

However i did decide to rig my sails and sit and wait for the weather to pick up, once the sea was calmer i began firing broadsides at the Cutter but with low skills i was lucky to hit the sails let alone the ships hull. So to counter this i started moving in very close and firing broadsides at the ships hull. I noticed the Cutter had lost 5 of its 12, 12Ibs cannons. I'm not sure how quickly they was destroyed but i did see one explode which is why i checked it out with the spy glass. The Cutter only had 69 crew onboard while me in the Sloop with 123 crew ment i was not at risk of been boarded and was the reason i started going in so close, had the Cutter and myself had similar crew amounts i would have kept my distance because the last thing i wanted was to be boarded since that is not what i'm testing.

I gather about 8 to 9 of my combined shots hit there target (thats from every broadside) the Cutter had lost around 13% of its hp, i boarded in the end and took a better look. It was not as bad as it looked however it was still enough, this means it will make the pirate nation a little harder to play as at the start. And if your like me then it will increasingly get harder as your skills increase and the AI ships you encounter get better with more ships in the fleet.

So far i'm impressed with how well its going but i'm no where near finished. I want this to be 100% finished before its released and if that means it takes me weeks then so be it, but unlike the RTBL there will not be a single version released till its finished. I will post back when i have something worth posting. :onya

wow...good stuff...sounds like you are fixing a bunch of issues at once here. I thought the upgrade was way too cheap anyway...

Good work man

[ ... ] You will be happy to know i have decided cannons took too long to reload so i have reduced each calibure to allow for slightly quicker reload times. This in turn means forts reload quicker too. [ ... ]

:shoot: FINALLY!! :shoot:

Reloading kept bothering me all the time and I had to change it on cannons myself.. Heh, thanks for this Luke!
Also, it's unrealistic that it takes you 1203921039120seconds to reload a MOW, with a fully experienced crew of 750+ men.

I mean: it's not because there is a lot of guns that the time of reload is more. That's pure bullsh*t.
Let's say it takes 4 men about 30-40 seconds to load a 20lbs cannon( very experienced men, that don't slack back since they are under heavy fire, during battle )..
It will take 8 men about 30-40 seconds to load two 20lbs cannons.. I don't get why that had to change.

Anyways.. just my 2 cents.

Inm CMV3 we have already recalculated the amount the gunner crew's and cannoner crew's for every ship. All ships have 1 gunner crew and 2 cannoner's to each mounted gun, if we increase the value's some ships will end up with a bigger crew. I will test it out to see if adding more cannoner's to each ship say 4 per gun will make any differenece. I only had 1 gunner per gun because they only light the fuse the cannoner's load the guns which could be a small 2 man thing or a larger 5 to 6 man job. I'm thinking of once again reducing the time it takes to reload the cannon's it still seem's to be too long for a fully experienced crew with a fully experienced captain and/or cannoneer officer.

Aye. In some cases i dont think it would take that long to load the cannons with only the captain on board...lol

Luke, This is great work brother!!! You are the man once again. I can't wait to try your codechanges. Very busy on my end. Attending some advanced schooling, Moving and transitioning to new job last month and into next month. Wish I could help more, but will soon be able to.

MK

Back