• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help I seriously can´t make it in this game.. GOF MOD

El cartanator

Landlubber
Hey there :)

I really want to play this game. However i simply cant make it, i keep getting killed or stuck.

I played GOF 1.2 and finally made my way by trading, and bribing off pirates... Just as i got a lot of winds in my sails, making it to level 10, having multible ships and officers i get the "boarding bug".. meh!

So i switched to GOF 2.0 beta..

Wow, this is even harder now...
I start out with a damaged ship, minimum crew and 6000 coins... i spend around 1500 coins on getting repairs and now the crew prices has increased dramatically... i mean, using the remaining 4500 coins i can get like 27 people? -

Alright - I gotta start slow i can live with that! - Now i decided to start out trading again.. however! I cant talk to pirates no more (its also the part that bugs the boarding i heard) - Problem is now, that every time a pirate meets me on open sea, im screwed.. I have no crew (used on trading), no officers and no skill level whatso ever... they either shoot me into pieces or board me... - The end...

I turned the difficulty down to Bosun.. - Attempted a boarding mission, having used all gold on crew - the first pirate i meet, im alone vs 8 pirates (my mateys died :( ) - The end...

I attempt to do missions, but either my ship is too small or im raided by pirates and finished without a sweat...

I'm so surprised, that there hasn't been a million topics like this.. - Im seriously so confused about what to do. - I really loath the exploring of islands in this game, so i dont really want to spend 2 hours grinding undeads or thieves and what not - Is there no possible way, to get a going in this game "at sea"??? or is this just uber hard without cheating :) ? Perhaps i missed something dramatically ..

Hints, guides, tutorials or general ideas for aiding my success as a pirate, is much appreciated!

Hey there :)

I turned the difficulty down to Bosun.. - Attempted a boarding mission, having used all gold on crew - the first pirate i meet, im alone vs 8 pirates (my mateys died :( ) - The end...

I'm so surprised, that there hasn't been a million topics like this.. - Im seriously so confused about what to do. - I really loath the exploring of islands in this game, so i dont really want to spend 2 hours grinding undeads or thieves and what not - Is there no possible way, to get a going in this game "at sea"??? or is this just uber hard without cheating :) ? Perhaps i missed something dramatically ..

Hints, guides, tutorials or general ideas for aiding my success as a pirate, is much appreciated!

If the ship you attack ( or attacks you ) has lots more crew than you do - then you can find yourself alone when boarding ( or being boarded ) since each person represents a certain number of crew, but there is a maximum no. of these NPCs that the game engine can support in a boarding battle.

So the NPCs that spawn in boardings are in proportion to the size of each crew ( for example ---- if max no. of NPCs is 10 per ship -- enemy ship has 1,000 crew it will get its 10 NPCs -- if your crew is less than 100 then you will get 0 NPCs -- because each NPC = 100 crew).

Therefore only attack ships with crews smaller or about the same Number as your own.

The game is very hard to start with ( the same as the original "vanilla" game ). It was just made that way originally.:yes

Have you tried smuggling to earn some money to begin with. ? ( check which goods are contraband on the Trade screen and then find the smugglers agent in the Tavern of the colony you are smuggling into) ---- If you do then SAVE before you talk to the smugglers on the beach - thus if a patrol arrives you can just keep repeating the talk to the smugglers until you complete it without a patrol arriving. ---- Don't try and fight the patrol on your own there are too many of them -- also if you survive and go back to your ship you will be attacked by up to 3 coastguard ships that have arrived. You can try bribing the patrol commander - he may take up to half the money you earned.

Hope this is of help.

:drunk

Hadn't tried smuggling - This could be a way.. only i had 3 in luck with my character and i suppose thats why i have to reload like 20 times ? I feel i should have a lot in Insight (for cannons generally), Authority (for having enough officers) and Talent (for leveling up in skillpoints faster) - That leaves me with little option but to cut power and luck - Is this recommended buildup ?

I still wonder why one has to kind of "cheat" his way to make a decent start.. In 1.2 it was fairly simple to trade normal goods, since i could bribe pirates as i got caught - in 2.0 i make less pr. trip and i cant get out of a fight.

Any other thoughts? The money lender quests are quite easy but gives little gold..

Are these the ways you guys start out? Or should i ask, how do you start out?

I have not played this in a while, but I used patience. Lots of patiently building myself up over time until I was good enough to do the difficult tasks.

Back