• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved I'd like to see Ketch stats changed

Petros

Captain of "La Nao"
Storm Modder
I would like the stats for cargo, crew, HP, and gun type for the Ketch to be equal to the Sloop (on which it is based).

In B14 the Ketch has been downgraded.
Yes, the Ketch in the real world is more stable in high winds and as such can be used to move more cargo, are slightly slower than sloops, but can be handled with fewer crew.

My intent in adding the Ketch was to provide greater variety to the game via a rigging variation to the stock Sloop, simply put, a Sloop with an additional mast.

We, or should I just say I, never put in ships to be weaker than stock. They would be stronger or at least equal.

But B14 makes the Ketch a "Catch" for Pirates; a soft (lower HP), weak (fewer crew, smaller guns), and fat (more cargo)prey! Pirate cannon fodder was not what I had in mind.
Plus, it's too nice looking for that, don't you agree?
c4lb.jpg
This I believe is the final testure tweek, hull, gun ports, cabin window, and rudder.

Last edited:
But B14 makes the Ketch a "Catch" for Pirates; a soft (lower HP), weak (fewer crew, smaller guns), and fat (more cargo)prey! Pirate cannon fodder was not what I had in mind.
Plus, it's too nice looking for that, don't you agree?
You do have a point there! :rofl

Armada? Hylie Pistof? Anyone? I'm relying on you to tell me what stats would be reasonable for a ship like this one.

Hylie would have a better idea than me. :shrug

What is the ships intended purpose? The sloop is pirate ship and the ketch is a merchant ship. So it looks like a trade off was made, with the sloop getting bigger guns and crew and the ketch getting bigger cargo capacity.

Do you want a pirate ketch?

What is the ships intended purpose?
My intent in adding the Ketch was to provide greater variety to the game via a rigging variation to the stock Sloop, a Sloop with an additional mast.
The sloop is pirate ship and the ketch is a merchant ship.

Sloops are merchant ships as well, and the Ketch can just as likely be a pirate ship even though slightly slower.
Just because it can handle better in high winds, does not mean it "has to" be a merchant.
So it looks like a trade off was made, with the sloop getting bigger guns and crew and the ketch getting bigger cargo capacity.
If that were true, then the merchant ship configuration might be a valid one. However the Ketch in B14 was given a weaker hull. The distinction between Sloop and Ketch is one of rigging, not hull shape or strength.

It would appear that the Ketch was reconfigured to be easy pirate prey rather than a ship in equal standing with the Sloop.
Do you want a pirate ketch?
Yes, if by Pirate Ketch you mean a ketch that is neither soft (lower HP), nor weak (fewer crew, smaller guns), nor fat (more cargo).

Yes, if by Pirate Ketch you mean a ketch with sloop stats as I originally designed it.(other than max speed):)

Ok, I just wanted clarification. It can be modified in a few minutes.

EDIT: It only took a few minutes to change the ketch stats to be almost the same as the sloop. It is set to be slightly slower. For some reason I could not copy and paste just the ketch part, so here is my whole dam shipsinit.c. Let me know what still needs changing.

Attachments

• ketch 10-28-2013.7z
    35.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Ack! I just remembered that when I was messing around with the XebecAS I changed the stats on it to make it more realistic for daily use. At one point I was thinking of making a different version of it for use outside of the Assassin storyline.

Just so you don't mess up the original one.

Ack! I just remembered that when I was messing around with the XebecAS I changed the stats on it to make it more realistic for daily use. At one point I was thinking of making a different version of it for use outside of the Assassin storyline.
So those XebecAS changes should not be included in the next modpack update then, I take it?

Not unless you want to detune the XebecAS and turn it into a more normal ship. It is way over the top for me but someone wanted it unrealistically pumped up.

For that matter the Grand Schooner is also unrealistically overpowered.

The XebecAS is fair enough since that is a storyline-only quest ship that is used for quite a while.

The Grand Schooner, however, is not and should probably have more sensible stats if you say they're out of whack.

I compared the Grand Schooner to the Postillionen, which is physically a much larger ship and the Grand Schooner has a larger crew, more cannons, and a larger hold. It should have less of all of these things as the Postillionen is pretty close to reality.
The Grand Schooner should probably have stats closer to a Gaff Schooner.

Ok, I reduced the cannons, crew, and cargo to reflect the small size of this ship. It now fits between the standard xebec and the pirate xebec.

Attachments

• Grand Schooner init.7z
    35.2 KB · Views: 65
Back