• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Idea: A Real Crew

2ltben

Landlubber
In coming naval sims like Silent Hunter III, PT Boats: Knights of the Sea, and perhaps Pirates 2, you'll actually hire crew, not just officers. I'm not saying hire individual crew members, but they should at least have names and skills that can get built up. So, if you drill with reloading in the middle of the ocean in shooting they'll get more accurate and reloading time will decrease, and other skills you drill at or use often will get better. however, if you fire your crew it'll go right back to the start.

That sort of thing.

Aye, that be a good point mate, yer crew should be able tew gain experience along wid' yer officers,'at would be a great feature fer de game,but de interface would be clutterd if ye 'ad a large crew fer a MOW :p:

Yes, Silent Hunter III looks promissing! They are finally listening to what us, the players would like to see! :p::

Well you don't have to have individuals on the main page, just a stats page and then go to maybe a Roster subpage where it shows their name, rank, and best skill(which could be color coded from red to green to show experience, so you could sack those that don't learn very well)

Aye ,tis a good idea but MOW'ave 400+ crew an lot of dem get killed in battle,would be alot o' werk tew maintain 'at size of crew :gday

Aye ,tis a good idea but MOW'ave 400+ crew an lot of dem get killed in battle,would be alot o' werk tew maintain 'at size of crew  

but for all yews who love realism to the core...this would be perfect...cuz now you that being a captain IS harder than it seems eh? but then again you had ur subofficers help you too in real life...sooo, umm, maybe you could put a certain number of ur crew under command of your officers, so then the skills of ur crew would just get averaged out (all the crew under the other officers command)...so then you just pic a certain number that you want to command directly and you would personally level them up however you want. you should also have a choice to even level up ALL the crew, even the ones under yer officers command. there should be an interface in ur menu where you level up urself, have inventory, cargo hold and all, there should be ONE MORE bar, which should go under "Cargo HOld" that would say "crew stats"...after you click that it would have two choices in a new interface that would either be "auto levelup" or manuel...then if you click manuel, you personally level up the ALL crew under YOUR command only...but after your done, itll come up a new interface that would give you the choice for each officer that commands crew...you could either "auto levelup" the all crew under each officer, or manuel it again...that would certainly make it more organized eh? :dio :gday

Right now your crew experience is tied to your officer experience - and your own. If your levels are up - AND your skills are up - your crew will be able to perform more tasks - like loading the cannons faster, repairing the ship faster, &tc... Special abilities too - it's just not specific to the crew or any names or anything like that.

After all, those skills you get don't mean you are PERSONALLY loading those cannons faster, or making that musket fire when you board and take your next new ship! 8) :cheers

Maybe heres an Idea,
Instead of Having all crews listed, maybe just have certain jobs listed (Cannon Crews etc), and each has a certain % of Crew per ship. Then you can level up each area individually instead of having 900+ crew to do individually. Also, lets say once every 2 months, a random crew member with high skills is availible to promote to officer. That would add some realism to the game,
Also each nation's Island should have a "barraks" where you can hire (weak, but promising) officers in their countries uniforms for cheap (maybe 500 and officer, 800 a first mate, and 1000 for a captain type guy).
Is It possible,
and even more important,
is it a good Idea?
-Capo :dio

it would be great tew 'ave more interaction wid yer crew,give ye a better feel of command'n yer own ship 8) :cheers

aye...too bad ye ol p'rat modders in 'ere say that wandering yer WHOLE ship like ye wander a town is impossible. imagin how cool dat would be! talk to some of ur crew and see whats wrong or whats right what ur doin wrong, what they want...imagin that! that would be so cool...but alas, when i brought up this idea, de modders say it impossible, but ol CaptJack say its improbable, but dey still think it impossible...arghh, i give up...Verdammen Sie ich wünsche, daß ich magisch es möglich machen könnte... 8)

I don't think it's impossible, CJS... But I don't know "everything" about modding, so that probably doesn't mean much.

Making new locators (for doors, for instance) IS, however, difficult in a hugely `work-intensive` way - because it means that you have to redesign the entire area you wish to put a new locator. They are not, as I understand it, easily "dropped in" wherever you want them (darnit).

This is why I had to move my Fred Bob quest from the office next to the Townhall on Isla Muelle to the church - no locators (for people) in that office, but plenty of them in the church! 8) :cheers

sidenote: Herr CaptJackSparrow wo aus Deutschland kommen sie? order sind sie auch nur ein Deutsch sprecher, es tut mir leid aber es war ein sehr lange ziet siet ich deutsch sprechen hab'

Dear devildog,

Mich, ich ist von Deutschland nicht. ich bin von Illinois, Vereinigten Staaten. der Grund, warum ich kenne, deshalb daß viel Deutsch ist weil ich umfangreiche Klassen genommen habe, mir zu helfen, weil meine Vorfahren beide von Deutschland und Norwegen sind, und im Fall, ich will irgendwie norweigan auch lernen. aber Sie belegen mit einer Geldstrafe, Deutsch zu sprechen, und ich habe jedes Wort verstanden. als für mich, ich bin ein Bit auch rostig. ich binErholen sich jetzt, daß ich bin notwendig mit meiner zweiten Sprache. und wegen der Tatsache, die ich Ihre Frage falsch beantwortet haben kann, es kann sein weil ich lese es falsch. ich nicht perfekt in dieser Sprache bin, entweder! :eek:ops

ouuiii, what a lot to write huh...man my hands hurt haha! :woot

ps devildog...i am gonna say this in english for what im gonna say now! too much to write up there, that was enough harhar! just a few questions...are you a marine? ur in the marines? and second, i see ur from DC...how is it to be right in the capital??? :rolleyes::

CJS, I suggest (politely, of course) that you keep LONG conversations to English unless you are in the Screaming Squid or when you are talking to Humsi (who we don't want to be lost) in his topic in the Tech section. Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase? :rolleyes: :woot

harhar! Sicher! errr, sure! sorry, its fun to talk in german, and now that i found people who know it really well, it makes it even more fun! ill stop now...or slow down! but if humsi needs help, then its anexception right? :rolleyes: :woot

im from wisconsin but im stationed in dc, when i was in high school i went to germany twice - good luck with the norweigen - its pretty cool meeting someone who can speak german as well, its been a while

<!--`QuoteBegin-devildog`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devildog)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->im from wisconsin but im stationed in dc, when i was in high school i went to germany twice - good luck with the norweigen - its pretty cool meeting someone who can speak german as well, its been a while[/quote]

norwegian??... who is learning norwegian??.. very close to my own language :rolleyes:

Back