• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

IDEA: Actual Meeting of PiratesAhoy! Members

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
I've seen several people mentioning that they'd like to visit HMS Victory in Portsmouth lately, myself very much included.
So how about us all going to visit there at the same time? I'll definitely be coming!
We might be able to make a bit of an "event" out of it. And have a good time together away from the forums for a change.

That's definitely something that I don't think we have ever done before, but hey, is it not time to move forward?
I understand that due to our international community, it would be harder for some people to show up than for others.
But hey, if it turns out OK, we could see about setting up a meeting in the United States at a later stage!
I've always wanted to give the San Diego Maritime Museum a proper visit, for example!

:cheers

London is just an one hour flight from here, so why not? :)

Last edited:
Given enough notice I could easily do it. However I would also recommend the Greenwich Maritime Museum as it boasts one of the largest and most impressive collections of maritime models, artifacts, and paintings on earth.

If I were to recommend a US location it would be either Annapolis or the Mel Fisher Museum in Key West Florida http://www.melfisher.org/

MK

Too late. I was just in Greenwich AND Portsmouth last week for pleasure. It would be a little ridiculous to go twice in a short amount of time for the same reason. San Diego, on the other hand, would be pretty easy for me personally. It would be even better during the Festival of Sail in late August when all the ships will be there, and I'll be on one of them.

The silly tour guide on Victory called the overhead the ceiling. I'll never forgive him for that.

Personally, I visited Greenwich about a year ago. I've been intending to see HMS Victory soon anyway.
Thought it might be fun if some other people would like to join in though.

Something even crazier: I've also been wanting to sail on the clipper Stad Amsterdam for many years and am thinking of actually doing it for real for a change.
Anyone else interested?

I also went to Portsmouth and Greenwich just over a year ago, but my mother and Aunt go over pretty regularly to look after my Grandmother in Surrey. I reckon I could tag along sometime this summer when I'm not at university, hopping over to Portsmouth or Greenwich from Guildford via rail wouldn't be much trouble at all, done it many a time before. I have friends in both my hometown and where I go to school who want to travel and backpack through Europe this summer, so there's some chance I'd be in that part of the world for that as well. I like the idea of meeting up at a sail festival! Always wanted to see one of those. Actually sailing on a vessel would also be great! often thought of the possibility of doing a voyage on the Niagara (which might be one of the more feasible vessels for american members) Though I'm sure the Stad Amsterdam would be great as well, a beautiful vessel.

London is only a 1 hour and 15 minutes flight away from Zurich but I don't think I'll come to "the Island" soon...

Does someone want to visit Zurich? :p

Something even crazier: I've also been wanting to sail on the clipper Stad Amsterdam for many years and am thinking of actually doing it for real for a change.
Anyone else interested?

After looking into it, sounds like you don't actually get to do any actual sailing. You just sit back while the vessel sails. That's definitely not for me if the trip lasts longer than an hour. Too frustrating.

I really like the idea of meeting some of you guys I've been working with for almost 10 years.
Good idea Pieter! :pirates
I have a little problem with flying though...:wp

After looking into it, sounds like you don't actually get to do any actual sailing. You just sit back while the vessel sails. That's definitely not for me if the trip lasts longer than an hour. Too frustrating.
Are you sure you read the same text as I did???
Are guests required to work on board?
The guideline is: you can do whatever you like, there are no obligations. The most important thing is to enjoy your sailing trip on our historic clipper.
For those who’d like to get involved, our professional and enthusiastic crew is more than ready to instruct you in hoisting and setting sail, bracing and folding.

What's the difference between a luxurious cruise and an adventurous one?
The adventure cruise
Adventure cruises cater to the sailing enthusiast. In spring, we offer adventurous Mediterranean journeys, in the summer we sail through the Gulf of Biscay and North Sea, to reach our home port in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. You can board at different times and locations, and sail non-stop from point of origin to our destination. Regardless of previous experience, you might want to join the crew on guard duty or lend a hand with the sailing. Our crew is highly experienced and happy to let you join in. Participating in in the watch is particularly recommended, and a great way to experience sailing on a historic vessel. However, all activity is optional.
Would you like to just lie back, relax and enjoy a sailing trip on a unique, historic clipper? No problem!
Meals are taken together with the crew in the clipper’s long room. Mealtimes are adjusted to the watch schedule.
If you’ve always dreamt of actively taking to the the seas on a unique, square-rigged three-master, or if you’d simply like to kick back and enjoy an unforgettable experience, the adventure cruise would be the perfect choice.
Long story short: You are allowed to do pretty much anything and everything, but you do not have any obligation to participate.

I really like the idea of meeting some of you guys I've been working with for almost 10 years.
Good idea Pieter! :pirates
I have a little problem with flying though...:wp
You live in Scandinavia, right? I think there are ferries going to the UK. Would that be an option?

That is 7-8 time zones away. A trip of that distance would cost lots of money that I don't have.

The stipulation of doing a sailing excursion would be that everyone would have to dress and talk period correct.
:ship

Of course finding something that everyone will be able to join in on would be a bit too much to ask for.
But if the first time ends up being a success, we can see about setting up meetings a few times a year in different areas of the world.
That way people could join in on at least one of them or so.

Anyway. perhaps we should make this a bit more structured. How about everyone fills in the below "form"?

Name: Pieter Boelen
Country of Residence: The Netherlands
Interested in a Community Meeting: YES!
Dates Available: Any time between now till 10 May 2014 (unless anything changes, which might very well happen)
Biggest Drawback: None. I've got two months to "spare" and could easily afford it.
Most Interested In: HMS Victory, Portsmouth and a cruise on the clipper Stad Amsterdam (currently in the Caribbean)
Most Interesting Maritime sight close(r) to home: Bataviawerf, Lelystad (with replica of VOC ship Batavia) and Amsterdam Maritime Museum (with replica of VOC ship Amsterdam)

The stipulation of doing a sailing excursion would be that everyone would have to dress and talk period correct.
LOL! Just actually doing a sailing excursion would be enough for me. Always wanted to, but never actually did do it.
Also, I don't have much historical knowledge, except for knowing how to do old-style navigation.

If nothing changes, I'll be having two months at home until the 10th of May. Before that time, I want to do BOTH of the these things one way or another.
If there are people interested in joining, that would be great! If not, I'll have to be going by myself. One way or another, I need to do some actual fun stuff this leave.

Are you sure you read the same text as I did???

Long story short: You are allowed to do pretty much anything and everything, but you do not have any obligation to participate.

I did, plus more, and it sounds like it's more of a "haul some lines while you're watched by professional crew then stand watch for three hours" type situation.

Name: Alex
Country of Residence: USA, Southern California/New Jersey, depending on the time of year.
Interested in a Community Meeting: Sure, if we can get enough people.
Dates Available: Depends.
Biggest Drawback: The only thing predictable about my schedule is that I'll probably be there for the festival in San Diego in August.
Most Interested In: Depends...
Most Interesting Maritime sight close(r) to home: CA: San Diego Maritime Museum, especially during the festival when there will be many more tall ships there. In early September, there will also be a 40th anniversary tall ships festival with many more vessels than usual. There's plenty of going out and shooting at each other, and a large parade of sail.
In NJ: Not much I'll have plenty of time for. Mystic Seaport, maybe. There's also sailing on Niagara or Pride of Baltimore II depending on the season.

I vote Napoleonic. Why? Because I'm prepared. Very Prepared.
clothing.jpg
It's a pity I'd have to leave my pattern 1804 boarding cutlass at home.

Last edited:
It would be entertaining if I sailed across the ocean again, I still do a lot of travelling anyway.
I would have to dust off and don my old sea captain outfit from the 18th Century with full weapons on the baldric, of course just for kicks.
I used to use sing sea shanties in bars in Portland, Oregon with a theatrical pirate group for free beers...
(by the way, it worked everytime!)

Last edited:
a great ahoy from france :pirates (please take much photos and post on forum when if this happens :) )

really interesting, but shame i am not sure that i can :nerbz

also congratuation for the HoO advance ! im hardly following it, but im a bit busy with university + anno 1404 modding + rome 2 modding + playing POTC and so :oops:

cya :read

I've seen positive feedback so far from Bava and Jack Rackham. So is anyone else up for this one?
Please fill in my form-y thing, even if you don't feel like joining in right now. It is always good to have an idea. :doff

And those of us who can't make one meeting might find it easier to make some other meeting. I found @Captain Armstrong 's idea of sailing on Niagara particularly interesting, although an actual training sail is at minimum a 3-week commitment. That's enough of an event for people like @Luke McReady to fly in for if they were willing, but it's a big commitment. I don't know about my summer schedule yet, but that sounds pretty fun. The price isn't too unreasonable.

Back