• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

Oh wait, look in the 'else' section of that code I quoted.
Apparently the crew variable I always '-1' (because you can't tell from outside), but your should be able to find the '-1' that corresponds to the crew from that 'else' statement and put that in the 'if' section.
If that makes any sense...?

Yeah, that's what I tried:

Code:
SendMessage(&objISpyGlass,"lsslllflll",MSG_ISG_UPDATE, "", shipType, shipHull, shipSail, shipCrew, -1.0, -1, -1, shipNation);

But I think this is not the place to look, unless I want to change what's shown when "ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED" is set to "1". It's probably a lot easier to set it to "0" and try to tweak the regular spyglass function to my liking.

Even in "Realistic" mode and "ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED" set to 0, you'll need a superior or masterwork spyglass to show crew numbers.

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Where would I have to look to find the code to tweak this?

I will defer to other people's opinions. Has anyone else any view on automatically adding log entries for every sail sighting even if it doesn't lead to an encounter, and for every land sighting even if you don't visit the land?

Perhaps control it with a variable in "InternalSettings.h", so that the extra log entries are only added if that variable is set to 1?

I for one think it's pretty unintrusive in the log. As long as it's kept to the DirectSail "Land ho" and "Sail ho" loading screens. Those are also pretty important events since they change the layout of your current "instance". To add to that, I think it was pretty standard procedure to note events like that in the log...

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Where would I have to look to find the code to tweak this?
The easiest method isn't to tweak anything. If you can't find a superior spyglass for sale, or can't be bothered looking for one, edit "PROGRAM\console.c" and add this:
Code:
GiveItem2Character(PChar, "spyglass3");
Put it just below the line 'int limit;'.
Basically, if you want the effects of a superior spyglass, give yourself a superior spyglass. :keith

(Another way to get a superior spyglass is to do the "Vigila Mendes" sidequest, then do the follow-up "Zaid Murro" sidequest. You get a superior spyglass as a reward for the latter.)

Here is a random idea, When captains offer to surrender in the cabin. would it possible for them to surrender their weapons? Adding a dialogue tree about that or simple enabling you to take their weapons?
I've been giving this a bit of thought. Currently I'm considering this:
  • A naval officer flying his own nation's flag will no longer get the option to take gold.
  • A naval officer flying his own nation's flag, a privateer flying a flag of any nation for which he has a LoM, and any character of high enough reputation, will all get a new option to demand the captain's weapons, promising that the captain will be treated well.
  • If you take the captain's weapons in exchange for a promise of good treatment, and then try to execute him, you'll get a choice to reconsider. If you go ahead, you go straight to the execution, you don't get an option to duel, and you take a massive reputation hit - worse than the current usual penalty for killing a prisoner.
The idea is that the new dialog option is a formal, honourable surrender. It's available to honourable characters - naval officers, privateers who are playing by the rules, and characters with an honourable reputation. If you break your promise then you're extremely dishonourable. Do it often enough and you may end up losing your LoM. (Naval officers were supposed to treat prisoners properly, and so were privateers, who for legal purposes were regarded as auxiliary naval officers. Mistreating prisoners would probably mean losing your claim to prize money and possibly lead to loss of LoM or being kicked out of the navy.)

Sounds like a fun idea, @Grey Roger! I'm completely in support of reworking those "surrender" and "prisoner" dialogs,
because they're old, often confusing and even a small improvement to them would make quite a substantial addition to the game. :onya

Ahoy Grey Roger and Pieter,

This looks really excellent. One question , I presume the ransom option remain or will that change too? Good Luck!

This looks really excellent. One question , I presume the ransom option remain or will that change too? Good Luck!
That's up to #Grey Roger to decide, I imagine.
But personally I like that feature and would like to keep it in the game.
I could understand if perhaps it isn't an option for Naval Officers though.

If you mean ransoming the prisoner when you talk to him in the hold, yes, that will stay. The only change I intend to make to the dialog in the hold is what happens if you execute the prisoner after he's surrendered his sword and you promised good treatment. But ransoming prisoners is perfectly reasonable.

If you mean ransoming the prisoner when you talk to him in the hold, yes, that will stay. The only change I intend to make to the dialog in the hold is what happens if you execute the prisoner after he's surrendered his sword and you promised good treatment. But ransoming prisoners is perfectly reasonable.
But what if the sharks are really hungry that day? :wp

That's what pirates are for. You won't get much prize money from their little ships, so you give them a couple of broadsides and the sharks get a packaged meal. :p (I really miss the winking Napoleon smiley.)

I've been making a start on this:
new_surrender.jpg

And found a few interesting things. For testing, I've kept a savegame from the end of a battle against two heavy brigs, one of which I'd already boarded and captured. The second was grapeshotted until its crew morale was "Treacherous", then I waited for it to surrender, and saved game. So I can keep replaying the boarding and the conversation with the captain. The name and model are consistent, so they were presumably set earlier, but he has different weapons every time, so those must be set at the time of boarding.

Look at this picture of the captain on deck. Look closely because there'll be a test later...
surrenderer.jpg

And now he's a prisoner in the hold:
prisoner.jpg

Notice anything odd? No? Then you didn't look hard enough. Look again at the first picture, and in particular, his sword - a Bosun's Choice. Now look at the second picture, where he now has a Swept Hilt Rapier. The guy in the hold isn't really the guy on deck, he's a clone; the original captain is replaced by the clone and then killed, which is necessary so that any quest which is triggered by defeat of an enemy ship will activate whether you sink the ship, kill the captain in a duel, or capture him. The clone has the original's name and model, but evidently not his weapons. The process probably gives him a sword so that, if you choose to execute him and then grant his request to die fighting, he has a weapon with which to fight.

Meanwhile, the new dialog is not finished, plus I've still to deal with the effects of an honourable surrender on other files, starting with the dialog in the hold. But for now, watch this...

By The Power Of Rum - Arrr!

OK. Now go and force someone to surrender. Before talking to him, look closely at all the swords in your inventory - or, for preference, look at the surrendered captain, see what he's carrying, then see how many of that type of sword you're carrying. Talk to him and choose the option "I have time to decide your fate. However, for now, I'd like to take X gold from your trunk" followed by "Enough! ... Men! Lock 'em in the brig! I'll see to his fate later...". Now look at your inventory again and notice that you've gained a sword, specifically, you have a new sword of the type the captain was carrying.

Alright, I admit it. I didn't just hack into everyone's PoTC installation and arrange for you to take the prisoner's sword. It already happened. I found this when I tried my new dialog, checked my inventory to see if I really had taken his sword, and found I'd taken two of them. When I commented out my dialog line to take his sword, or even if I reverted to the original dialog file, I still got his sword. I'm still going ahead with the dialog addition because the idea of an honourable surrender, and severe consequences if you then break your word, still appeals to me.

Like I said, that whole business is confusing! Good thing you're having a look at it now. :onya

Ahoy Grey Roger!

I wonder if, as you delve into the complexity of this, it might be possible to use the surrender dialogue as you have above and still take their gold. In other words the surrender dialogue, first then the original tree, as opposed to just adding the surrender option to the original set of choices.

Also I have also wondered if we could add a "shot across the bow to encourage ships to surrender before boarding. I realize that will be very complex, just asking.

I wonder if, as you delve into the complexity of this, it might be possible to use the surrender dialogue as you have above and still take their gold. In other words the surrender dialogue, first then the original tree, as opposed to just adding the surrender option to the original set of choices.
The whole idea here is that you're behaving honourably towards a prisoner of war. Demanding his money isn't. :guns: If you want both his sword and his money, just demand the money. You get the sword anyway when you take him prisoner. What I do need to do is think of a suitable reward if you intentionally don't take the gold - a reputation boost, perhaps.

Naval officers aren't getting the option to demand the gold any more. They're supposed to treat prisoners properly. This, in fact, was one reason pirates hoisted a Jolly Roger. It told the victim that the attacker was not a navy ship or licensed privateer, therefore not bound by rules of war, which meant the only way the victim's crew were going to survive was if they didn't make trouble and annoy the pirate.

Also I have also wondered if we could add a "shot across the bow to encourage ships to surrender before boarding. I realize that will be very complex, just asking.
It would be next to impossible. The AI would need to recognise a shot that misses but lands close to the ship and in front, and also recognise the difference between a warning shot and a shot which simply missed because your gunner wasn't very good.

I wonder if adding the option during/before battle (as a pirate only) of hoisting the 'red pennant' or somehow selecting that the crew will 'give no quarter' regardless of what you choose with the captain so that the morale modifier is a bit different for ships striking. That way a ship that fights back pretty much just lets you take their stuff when you finish boarding and skips the captain section since they would be dead.

I wonder if adding the option during/before battle (as a pirate only) of hoisting the 'red pennant' or somehow selecting that the crew will 'give no quarter' regardless of what you choose with the captain so that the morale modifier is a bit different for ships striking. That way a ship that fights back pretty much just lets you take their stuff when you finish boarding and skips the captain section since they would be dead.
Could be done if ever my Reputation/Fame ideas make their way into the game.
But I don't expect that to happen soon... if ever... :oops:

The easy result of hoisting a red flag would be to give all enemy ships the "nosurrender" attribute, and possibly drop their morale a few notches to reduce their fighting ability. How to incorporate that into the game code, let alone add a command to hoist a red flag, is not so easy. It's also going to confuse any players who notice that a lot of the pirate flags are red anyway.

Possibly carry an object on the character that causes it? Maybe just have that object in their inventory to check for.

The whole idea here is that you're behaving honourably towards a prisoner of war. Demanding his money isn't. :guns: If you want both his sword and his money, just demand the money. You get the sword anyway when you take him prisoner. What I do need to do is think of a suitable reward if you intentionally don't take the gold - a reputation boost, perhaps.

It would be next to impossible. The AI would need to recognise a shot that misses but lands close to the ship and in front, and also recognise the difference between a warning shot and a shot which simply missed because your gunner wasn't very good.

Get it on shot across the bow. You are right about the money, but do you mean to that when you demand the money in the current game you get the sword? If so I never noticed that.

Back