• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Improvement of the HMS Victory.

Well, you don't HAVE to do EVERYTHING, you know. But anything you do do, is much appreciated. :yes

For the conversion, you can start out with just putting the CoAS model files into the PotC folders and adding a ships_init.c entry.
That would work well enough, but some of the ropes won't show and she won't be able to display pennants just yet.

Since all is locator-work, you need Ines Diaz' TOOL.
For the ropes, change all "fal" locators to "rope" type and they should work.
(Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong; I never did this...)

For the pennants, you need to copy all locators from the "flag" group and change their type to "penn".
Now in ships_init.c, you can define on which mast you want an ensign and on which you want a pennant.
If you find that your choice of flags is oddly proportioned, you need to move the relevant locators around a bit.

I know this information isn't exactly comprehensive,
but just post here if you run into any confusion and I or somebody else will try to clarify. :doff

Well, you don't HAVE to do EVERYTHING, you know. But anything you do do, is much appreciated. :yes
I'm not FORCING myself to do this, or anything else for the game...
I'm VOLUNTEERING, because from what I can tell, I should be capable of doing it, AND I don't see any reason why not to try!
AND I know that anything I do will be appreciated... AND it's for a game which I value very highly (now ;) ).
AND... because I've always wanted to see this ship in the game!! :keith
Believe me, I thought just finding the Build Mod was lucky enough, but now to be actually making my mark on it... is unbelievable!

So, anyway, I'll give it a start based on your advice, but no doubt I'll post back with some queries.

If you've got any pressing questions, I recommend sending them by e-mail.
I might not be able to visit the forum as regularly as before the coming months, but will be able to regularly check my e-mail.
You can find my address in my profile. :doff

OK here's what I've done so far:
I extracted all the GM files into RESOURCE\ MODELS\ Ships\ HMS_Victory,
and all the TGA.TX files into RESOURCE\ Textures\ Ships.

I have created a ships_init entry for her, based on the 102-Gun Manowar:
Code:
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
// HMS Victory by pgargon
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
// EC -->	
makeref(refShip,ShipsTypes[n]);
n++;
refShip.Name			= "HMS_Victory";
refShip.id				= refShip.Name;
refShip.SName				= "Victory";
refShip.Class			= 1;
refShip.all					= "HMS_Endeavour";
refShip.Cannon			= CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS32;
refShip.MaxCaliber		= 32;
refShip.Weight			= Tonnes2CWT(3500);
refShip.Capacity		= 4000; 
refShip.CannonsQuantity = 104; 
refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonf.qty = 2;
refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonb.qty = 2;
refShip.MaxCrew		 = 1040;
refShip.MinCrew		 = 208;
refShip.Price		   = 624000; 
refShip.HP			  = 18000; 
refShip.SP			  = 200;

refShip.BI.Tex = 14;
refShip.BI.Pic = 11;
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck3";
refShip.CannonsDeck = 3;
refShip.CargoHold = 2;
refShip.Cabin = "Cabin1";
refShip.Flags.Mast1.Flag1 = FLAG_ENSIGN;
refShip.Flags.Mast2.Flag1 = FLAG_PENNANT;
refShip.Flags.Mast3.Flag1 = FLAG_PENNANT;
refShip.Flags.Mast4.Flag1 = FLAG_ENSIGN;

//Period
refShip.period.0 = 0.0; //
refShip.period.1 = 0.1; //
refShip.period.2 = 0.3; //
refShip.period.3 = 0.5; //
refShip.period.4 = 0.3; //
refShip.period.5 = 0.1; //
//Nation
refShip.england = 0.05; //
refShip.france = 0.02; //
refShip.holland = 0.02; //
refShip.portugal = 0.02; //
refShip.pirate = 0.0; //
refShip.spain = 0.02; //
refShip.america = 0.0; //

refShip.CanEncounter = false;
refShip.CanBuy		 = false; 
refShip.Type.Trade = false;
refShip.Type.War = true;

refShip.WaterLine = 0.0;
refShip.SpeedDependWeight = 0.3;
refShip.SubSeaDependWeight = 0.9;

refShip.GeraldSails.rey_b2	= 1;
refShip.GeraldSails.rey_b3	= 1;

refShip.RigType = "Bat";

if (!bArcadeMode){
refShip.SpeedRate		= 9.0;
refShip.TurnRate		= 50;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX	= 4;	refShip.InertiaBrakingX		= 0.5;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY	= 1.73;	refShip.InertiaBrakingY		= 0.5;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ	= 2.5;	refShip.InertiaBrakingZ		= 2.0;
}else{
refShip.SpeedRate		= 9.0;
refShip.TurnRate		= 25;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX	= 0.2;	refShip.InertiaBrakingX		= 2.0;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY	= 7;	refShip.InertiaBrakingY		= 6;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ	= 4.0;	refShip.InertiaBrakingZ		= 1.0;

}
// EC <--

Also, I've changed all 'flag' locator groups to 'penn' as suggested by Pieter, but I can't see any 'fal' locators to change to 'rope'.
I tried the ship in-game after doing all this, but she WON'T appear... :modding it just crashes with a runtime error, so I'm guessing I've missed something?
Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Make sure the GM files have the same name as the folder name.
So it would be "HMS_Victory\HMS_Victory.gm" but not "HMS_Victory\Victory.gm".

For the "flag" and "penn" locators, make sure you KEEP the original locators, but make a copy of them and rename them as "penn".
It's required to have both sets.

I'm really not quite sure about the "fal" locators,
but what I do know is that in AoP/CoAS there's a locator type for hanging ropes that PotC doesn't support.
It's not crucial to do this renaming; you'll notice soon enough ingame when some ropes are not showing up.
Note that these locators might be in the "_mast" or "_rey" GM files as well.

Make sure the GM files have the same name as the folder name.
Oops... I should have noticed that, sorry. :facepalm
So the only change I've made to the ships_init entry is:
Code:
refShip.Name			= "Victory1";

For the "flag" and "penn" locators, make sure you KEEP the original locators, but make a copy of them and rename them as "penn".
It's required to have both sets.
OK that's been done too, so hopefully no pennant issues.

I'm really not quite sure about the "fal" locators,
but what I do know is that in AoP/CoAS there's a locator type for hanging ropes that PotC doesn't support.
It's not crucial to do this renaming; you'll notice soon enough ingame when some ropes are not showing up.
Note that these locators might be in the "_mast" or "_rey" GM files as well.
I'll probably find those sooner or later, but right now it's impossible to test, as even with these changes the ship won't appear. :?
Is there something wrong with and/or missing from the ships_init entry, bearing in mind it was based on the 102-Gun Manowar?

When porting ships over from POTC you must add 1 at the end of the file name so for example victory1 would be victory11, if the name victory didn't have a number at the end already then it would be victory1. The model folder needs to have the same done, so add 1 at the end of the ships folder name, so ie victory becomes victory1, the same must be done to the texture folder. Each and every GM file must have 1 at the end of its name. See picture bellow for example of how to do this. If you have already done this then ignore this post.

Update:
Your trying to port her into POTC, i have no idea how to do that because i have never done it for POTC. I would expect you have to remove the number 1 from the end of the ships name. :shrug

Your trying to port her into POTC, i have no idea how to do that because i have never done it for POTC.
Yeah that's the problem, it's usually the other way round. :modding
But I'd imagine that removing the 1 from the name would make no difference... I could try it anyway. :shrug

refShip.name is the name of the folder and the files inside.
If you have refShip.name = "Victory1", the folder should be called that as well as the files inside.
If you have refShip.name = "HMS_Victory", the folder and files should be called "HMS_Victory".
You can use any name at all, as long as it doesn't contain spaces (well, maybe that DOES work, but it's probably better not to)
and isn't already used. It should work, as long as refShip.name, the folder name and all GM file names all are the same.

Uh? Why would you need to add/remove a "1" from the model file names at all?
I'm not sure about CoAS, but for PotC you can just use whatever name you want. :wacko:

refShip.name is the name of the folder and the files inside.
If you have refShip.name = "Victory1", the folder should be called that as well as the files inside.
If you have refShip.name = "HMS_Victory", the folder and files should be called "HMS_Victory".
You can use any name at all, as long as it doesn't contain spaces (well, maybe that DOES work, but it's probably better not to)
and isn't already used. It should work, as long as refShip.name, the folder name and all GM file names all are the same.
But I HAVE changed everything to 'Victory1', in ships_init and the model folder.
Yet it STILL doesn't work yet! We've established that the extra '1' is not needed, so what else am I missing, or failing to do correctly?
Is there anyone out there who HAS ported a ship from CoAS to PotC?? :huh

If i was in your position i would look through the POTC FTP for a ship that is for POTC then compare the files from Victory and the ship you downloaded. By doing this you will or should see every file you need to edit.

Without knowing what you have done i can't say as to what you may have missed.

Please refer to post #44. I've done that, with some changes:
- The model folder and the refShip.Name both now say 'Victory1'
- I have now made copies of the 'flag' locators and renamed them to 'penn'

However, I don't know whether I've changed everything that's necessary in the ships_init entry- there may be some things still related to the 102-Gun Manowar which need to be changed/ deleted. :shrug

I would try to access the FTP as per your suggestion, but it seems the link to download FTP Commander no longer works. :modding

I'd recommend enabling error logging. If the game crashes or shows a black screen once loading the ship,
usually system.log will contain a clue of what's wrong.

There's been several ships ported from AoP to PotC; the process should be exactly the same as for CoAS.

Oh...my...WORD! I've done it! She's in PotC!! :woot
It felt a little embarrassing, but when it crashed before, the system.log was shouting at me saying "You forgot one of the model files!"... so, that fixed, it worked!

I think the flags look right; after some trial and error, I assigned (hopefully) the right pennants and ensigns.
The only problem is, she appears to be missing a texture. This involves the ladders on each side of the hull, and a few railings, with a few bits of masts.
Oh, and by the way, the ropes look good- no changes required! :no

Phew, someone calm me down, this is too exciting! :will

Nice that the Victory can now also fight in PotC. The lack of texture is woodGrainU2.tga. :onya

Nice that the Victory can now also fight in PotC. The lack of texture is woodGrainU2.tga. :onya
Thanks pgargon! It seems that texture was not included in the download, so I don't have it. :facepalm
Could you upload it here please?

While I'm at it, do you have a crew walk file for her?

Thanks! I found it in the PotC FTP. :onya
Now all I need to do is give her the correct stats in ships_init.

Back