• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Improvement of the HMS Victory.

The black patches seem to be there because of how the hull texture is mapped to the model.
To get the desired areas re-textured, I had to find the exact spot by trial and error. :wacko:

About a unique version, it seems the steam frigates don't yet have a purpose in any quests whatsoever, yet they all have unique doubles...
And perhaps one day we'll find a use for the real HMS Victory in a storyline. :shrug
Either way, I won't be offended if we don't use the named one. I'll just keep it for a rainy day.

On a side note, it seems the current Victory has been unique for some time... whoops. :facepalm
I think that needs changing quite soon!

About a unique version, it seems the steam frigates don't yet have a purpose in any quests whatsoever, yet they all have unique doubles...
They're doubled through code, but don't have double model files. The reason is to have them at sea in the later periods, but also buyable from Vanderdecken.
A ship can't be buyable from Vanderdecken AND be encountered at sea with the current coding, so this was the easiest solution to that.

On a side note, it seems the current Victory has been unique for some time... whoops. :facepalm
I think that needs changing quite soon!
Indeed; that'd be good! Not named means random encounters can be enabled! :dance

They're doubled through code, but don't have double model files.
Oh, of course they are. I forgot that. :eek:ops2
Anyway, I'm uploading the new textures to my FTP folder, plus the hull model (HEX-edited). That's without the nameplate. :rolleyes:
Don't forget to make her encounter-able, too!

Have you done this yet, Pieter? I know I meant to remind you sooner (I'd make a rubbish alarm clock xD: ).
If so, please ensure you have the stern texture 'VictoryStern1' and not 'Victory_Stern'; I uploaded the wrong one a few nights ago. :facepalm
As for making her encounter-able, I've done that, plus a few other updates here and there in ships_init. I'll upload that later.

What was she HEX-edited for again? To keep one named version and one unnamed?

Wow; with the new texture, she behaves VERY oddly in the GM Viewer.
She goes all black when I zoom out! :shock

She was HEX-edited to keep two versions, one with and one without the nameplate.

And WHAT are you talking about?! She looks fine in my GM Viewer. :wacko:
I think I uploaded the new textures correctly, but it's entirely possible that it got messed up because of my cruddy internet. :modding

EDIT: In fact, I believe that's what did happen. Only part of the file uploaded correctly.
Re-uploaded correctly now. :onya

Definitly acts a lot more normal now! :onya

I think it'd be better if we just keep the nameless version... :?

Definitly acts a lot more normal now! :onya
Good to hear; now that you can see it clearly, what d'you think? Good improvement?
If so, that means my current work will be, too... ;)

I think it'd be better if we just keep the nameless version... :?
Of course, but I'd like to keep the named version for my own reference.
And potentially for future use; you never know. :shrug

Good to hear; now that you can see it clearly, what d'you think? Good improvement?
I didn't compare them quite properly enough for that.
Seems good to me and nameless means we can put her to more uses, so that's good. :onya
Those black squares really are quite bizarre though! :shock

Of course, but I'd like to keep the named version for my own reference.
And potentially for future use; you never know. :shrug
Sure thing. :yes

Is it worth using the other textures pgargon made for Victory, now that I can remove the nameplates for them?
I believe there is an American and French texture, which may come in handy for SotL's in the last two periods... :shrug
It's not much effort for me to edit them like I did with the British one, too.

Is it worth using the other textures pgargon made for Victory, now that I can remove the nameplates for them?
I believe there is an American and French texture, which may come in handy for SotL's in the last two periods... :shrug
It's not much effort for me to edit them like I did with the British one, too.
What the heck?! I definitely posted the above on the 5th November, not the 1st! That's just plain weird! :wacko:

Maybe somebody's messing around with time travel again. Hum... :whipa

Where are those Victory reskins? I didn't see those. Or do you mean the reskins we've got in the Build mod at the moment.
Those are Seb's based on the Endeavour and their skinning is probably not entirely compatible with the new Victory's.

Maybe somebody's messing around with time travel again. Hum... :whipa
It wasn't me, I swear... :shrug Bit of a paradox really, since I had the idea two days ago, and posted it... 5 days ago? :?

Where are those Victory reskins? I didn't see those.
They are pgargon's, provided with the full Victory1 download, but not actually used by the model.
I don't think they are officially in the build mod at the moment, but I'll upload some pictures to demonstrate.

I'll upload some pictures to demonstrate.
Here's what I'm on about, after having edited the textures slightly:
French re-texture
American re-texture

The changes include:
  • The black sections of the new Victory texture;
  • The stern nameplate and some decorations have been removed (to make them less like Victory);
  • I've given each one a re-textured figurehead, again to distinguish from Victory.
I reckon they look pretty good, and would be good replacements for the Manowars in the last 2 or 3 periods (but not the first few).
That is, if people agree... :shrug

They certainly are better! I'll upload the textures to the FTP, then. :yes
The US ones end in 1; the French ones end in 2.

Can you include the HEX-edited model files and ships_init.c as well? That'd make it easier to install.
Why don't you include this and everything else you'v got in the works in one Patch 4 compatible file soon?

At the moment, I'm caught up in the loading screens project and don't intend to do much else on the side until I'm done.
Then when I AM done, I'm probably going to clean up the ship models folder before doing anything else.

I'm wondering... would it be at all possible for you or someone else to get the ship screenshots working in the game?
If we can get that finished, as well as the loading screens and ship cleanup, I dare say we've got a pretty good base for making Build 14 Beta 2.
Of course we can add a few ships here and there, especially Pgargon's ones and retextures of those.

While we're at it, could you please append the nation to the ship model folders, eg. "FR_" or "US_", etc. for the ships you add?
It'd be easier to do that straight away rather than me doing it after the fact.
Of course I'll do it for the ships currently included when I do the cleanup. :yes

Can you include the HEX-edited model files and ships_init.c as well? That'd make it easier to install.
Why don't you include this and everything else you'v got in the works in one Patch 4 compatible file soon?
I think I'd rather wait until pgargon fixes the reverse lighting bug for all his ships; I can then include the PotC versions of them, as well as my WIP stuff, all at once.
At least, that sounds more convenient to me.

I'm wondering... would it be at all possible for you or someone else to get the ship screenshots working in the game?
If we can get that finished, as well as the loading screens and ship cleanup, I dare say we've got a pretty good base for making Build 14 Beta 2.
Of course we can add a few ships here and there, especially Pgargon's ones and retextures of those.
Um... I can start the screenshot coding, I guess. No idea how long it will take, though.
When you say it like that, it does seem that we're getting much closer to Beta 2! :dance

While we're at it, could you please append the nation to the ship model folders, eg. "FR_" or "US_", etc. for the ships you add?
It'd be easier to do that straight away rather than me doing it after the fact.
Of course I'll do it for the ships currently included when I do the cleanup. :yes
I was thinking that these should be given a name different to Victory (like SotL), but still with FR_/US_, of course.
Sort of like how the Constitution re-textures were named BattleFrigates. :shrug

Back