• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Inappropriate "In Danger of Becoming a Pirate" Warning

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Two things:
1) I went on a treasure quest and was met by a pirate ketch. So far so good. After trading some shots I got a message that since I was flying a false flag I was in danger of becoming a pirate.
Wot?! I was flying my personal flag although my nation of record is French. Anyway I just sailed away and nothing happened, but it is nuts.

2) Something has happened to Artois Voysey. He has gone non violent. He will not equip a sword and so he will not fight. I take his sword away and then give it back and then he equips it and will fight until the next map. Rinse and repeat.
I don't see anything in the logs about him.

1. That sounds like the warning I put in place.
Do you have a save of that scenario for me to test with?
Probably that code needs some more tweaking for accuracy.

Awaaaa..... Why do people remove their saves right after making a report???
That seems to have been happening a lot lately and means that when we need more details to actually fix it, we can't GET those details.
Which in turn means that we can't fix it. Except perhaps with a lot of extra time and effort. :facepalm

Since you never CAN commit a major act of piracy AGAINST the pirates, the following change in PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c should certainly be made:
Code:
      // PB: Warning Note -->
       if (iRelation == RELATION_ENEMY && GetFlagRMRelation(sti(rOurCharacter.nation)) != RELATION_ENEMY)
       {
         if (sti(rOurCharacter.nation) != PIRATE && !CheckAttribute(rBallCharacter, "false_flag_note"))
         {
           LogIt("Captain, we are under a false flag therefore in danger of being labelled a pirate for our actions here!");
           rBallCharacter.false_flag_note = true;
         }
       }
       // PB: Warning Note <--
This includes a check to not do that for pirate targets.

Still, that should not have been the reason unless you were attacking a pirate while under a flag friendly to the pirates.
That seems a bit of an unlikely scenario, so @Hylie Pistof: What flag were you flying at the time?
And do you remember anything about your nation relations at that point as well?

I was flying my personal flag and my nation of record is France. I am at -58 with the Pirates and can trade with them just fine. I actually did not want to sink or capture that ship so just sailed away at the first opportunity.

Treasure quests are troubling for this reason.

I was flying my personal flag and my nation of record is France. I am at -58 with the Pirates and can trade with them just fine.
Ah, that does explain it. You attacked the hostile pirate ship despite you not actually being hostile to the pirates yourself.
The above change should fix it then. :yes

Note that this text is ONLY a warning and doesn't necessarily mean much of anything. In this case it simply should not have displayed.
With this change, it now shouldn't. It may still occur for non-pirate ships, but in those cases, the warning will probably be valid.

Probably you committed an "unrespectable act" at some point, which would make your relation to the pirates increase from -60 and turn Wary/Neutral.
This will be different as per the next update because there you'll start at -89 with the pirates, so they won't turn friendly so easily anymore. ;)

Of course the pirates will trade with you regardless of their nation relations as long as you don't have a LoM.

Treasure quests are troubling for this reason.
Ah, yes; those ships and some others too are set up to ALWAYS be hostile regardless of nation relations.
Makes sense that a deliberate treasure quest enemy should be hostile, no? :wp

Yeah, I just like the novelty of being friendly with the Pirates and will be sad to not be friendly with them anymore.

Yeah, I just like the novelty of being friendly with the Pirates and will be sad to not be friendly with them anymore.
You still can be even with the coming update. It just won't be quite that easy anymore.
It was admittedly a bit unbalanced as it was.... :wp

Oh.... and you can also officially join the pirates and THEN buy amnesty from the nations you don't want to be hostile to.

Back