• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Increased random encounter chance

I have plenty of encounters in the open sea mod as it takes 1-3 days from the time you get the "land ho" call to dropping anchor. I do believe that new encounters erase old encounters.

technicly speaking shouldn't the encounter rate go down as further as you are from any island?
Close to the island many ships will be sailing but further away there will be less ships on a more open space. So I think it actually should depend on how close you are to an island. But I don't know how the system is made, we coulde make a function to determing a chance and time depending on some variables which also include the distance to island(s). but would it work with a value which keep changing?

DirectSail encounters are just random. If you'd want to make it distance-dependent, the file to look at is PROGRAM\CCCdirectsail.c .
But I don't think that is necessary. It works as it is already. :shrug

technicly speaking shouldn't the encounter rate go down as further as you are from any island?
Close to the island many ships will be sailing but further away there will be less ships on a more open space. So I think it actually should depend on how close you are to an island. But I don't know how the system is made, we coulde make a function to determing a chance and time depending on some variables which also include the distance to island(s). but would it work with a value which keep changing?

When you're close to an island there's usually a few coastal ships sailing about anyways. My main concern was that i'd never find anyone on the open sea but that's been taken care of nicely.
Having a distance related spawn would be quite realistic but might be more trouble than its worth. But hey, if you can make it work... :D

Setting everything immediately to 100% ....Will it crash if it is at 200% ? LOL :p

"Encounterbreak 6" is more or less than Encounterbreak 3 ?

Also are these for meeting single ship icons on the map or nation vs nation in a battle ?

In battle, how do you set to be 10 vs 10 ships all ? Because now it is 3 vs 1 usually, or 3 vs 5.

Playing with open seas and iron man.

And yes, a new encounter overrides an old one, this happened several times to me. But there already is a solution for this, which is pressing 0 then. This switches of the encounters, so I have all the time to deal with one encounter before another emerges. I use this since this happened to me some times.

And encounters seem to be randomly. I have saild long distances without encountereing anything bigger than an indians raft, and I had short ones and ran into big fleets. But that's random, and I like it.
You never know what will be beyond that horizon :keith

Setting everything immediately to 100% ....Will it crash if it is at 200% ? LOL :p

The lower the number the more often you'll get encounters, the number stands for how often an encounter can happen, so 3 would be every 3 hours, and these settings only apply to direct sailing encounters i believe.
Also i don't think 10 vs 10 is possible, it would be 4 vs 1-10 at best since you can only command 4 ships maximum.

And yes, a new encounter overrides an old one, this happened several times to me. But there already is a solution for this, which is pressing 0 then. This switches of the encounters, so I have all the time to deal with one encounter before another emerges. I use this since this happened to me some times.

It's good that you said so, Would be a shame to lose one encounter to another. Thanks ;)

Will probably work as if it were 100%. :shrug

"6" is encounter every six hours, "3" is every three hours. So more often.

Also are these for meeting single ship icons on the map or nation vs nation in a battle ?
This relates ONLY to DirectSail encounters, NOT worldmap ones.
It also only influences how frequently you get an encounter at all, but is unrelated to what kind of encounter you get.
The encounter types are all set up in Encounters_init.c and that is what both the Worldmap and DirectSail look at to decide the amount of size of ships to generate.

In battle, how do you set to be 10 vs 10 ships all ? Because now it is 3 vs 1 usually, or 3 vs 5.
Battle fleets just consist of two encounters from Encounters_init.c to be generated together.
If you want all of them to be 10-vs-10, you'd have to change ALL encounters to contain 10 ships.
That'll throw the realism of the encounter system right out of whack! :shock

Yup, that's what the "0" button is there for. :yes

This ship: ENGINE 2013-10-29 11-12-23-04.jpg which has more paint schemes than a lavish woman has clothes in her wardrobe, is "Spanish war galleon" in a certain time period. But it is also a "Light Manilla Galleon"/which I suppose has the same ammount of paint schemes each loaded as a different ship/. And I think it can be met just as a "Galleon" too. And - it is met both in the early and in the late periods, up to a certain year.

Now let's think. You can meet single fleets/one ship icon/ on the map each consisting of -most often 1-5 ships. And also 1 vs 1 fleet battle, consisting also mostly of 1-5 ships each. I don't know does each ship have equal encounter chance with another, but even if they do, this ship, because of all above will have more encounter chance - it's all time, for both pirates and civil, with many paints, and one model for many variations.

Then going to the number of ships in an encounter - THE SMALLER THIS NUMBER IS - THE MORE OFTEN YOU WILL MEET THIS SHIP, even you will meet it exclusively if there is 1 ship fleet or 3. If there is to be variety, you can meet other ships /at the current situation with many paint schemes/ - with increasing the number of ships of which a fleet consists.

That is the "Galeon50", used only in Early Explorers, The Spanish Main and Golden Age of Piracy.
There are indeed a fair few galleon-based skins, but that is mainly because she was a popular ship to reskin back in the early days.
We've got to make do with what we've got. And what we've got are quite a few of these. :shrug

For variety's sake, some of them have different stats and therefore different type names.
I think some have different rigging too. So they're not all the same. But galleons just were very common in the early days.

When you fight with them you don't feel their stats, only if you have it as own ship. Same for the rigging. They only displace more valuable ships.

Their stats make a difference when the enemies are using them too. It may not be as obvious, but applies just the same. o_O

It may be but variety is lost. You see just the fcking galleons everywhere. Without the english ones.

Well, what other ship types should be appearing then? It is easy enough to change.

As I said many times before, you want variety, just set PERIOD_ACCURACY_LEVEL to 0 at the top of ships_init.c and you'll get 100% variety.
Historical realism goes right out of the window then, but you don't about that anyway.
There's no point in complaining about it over and over again. We're not changing it in the main modpack files, because it isn't realistic.
But doing it yourself is easy-peasy.

There has to be done a modification for it. Pre and post 1800. Because I don't want the caravels side by side with flash deck frigates and steam ships.

Rather than "there has to be done", it's more a case of "you have to do", I'm afraid.
That's the whole point of modding, anyway: to make the game what you want it to be.

I can only reiterate what Pieter said, that the mod is already set up to be historically accurate and provide suitable variety where possible.
If you disagree with the way its set up, unlike the majority of players, then its up to you to change your own game version.
If we gave in to every request to change various details to an individual's tastes, then the mod would be a mess. o_O

You have already done this with your Skies, Water and Waves mod, for instance, so it's not like you're incapable of making the necessary changes. :shrug

And it is REALLY easy to do it. Find the ships you want to have available and change their period chance values.

Back