• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Installing problems

JadenTrent

Powder Monkey
First and foremost: I have downloaded both the installer and b14_beta3_full (which i had to rename, putting a .7z in the end so the installer would interact with it).
I put both files in a folder, stored on my desktop.
I did NOT put the installer INTO the b14 folder.

I have a vanilla version of potc and it's working.

problem:
when trying to mod by running the installer, all works fine and the processing bar fills up to 89%, then it stops and a window, saying
"Build info.txt not found Make sure you install the build14 beta 3 main files first!" pops up.

am i missing something here?

I have the vanilla version of potc, only TRYING to install the beta3 main file with the size of 7.07GB. little wonder the main files are not installed, unless the darn installer completes its job, isn't it?

That message is a confirmation that the install is not all there, and something is missing.

You should not have had to rename the B3 Full. It is 7.07GB unpacked and 2.445,572KB when 7Zipped. The Installer only works with the zipped file.
Trust me on this. I tried it both ways because it is my job to test things here. :boom:

You need to have the B14_Beta3_installer.exe and the B14_Beta3_Full.7z in the same folder. Unzipping it and then attaching a 7z to it does not work.

Download the B14_Beta3_Full.7z again and put it in the same folder as the B14_Beta3_installer.exe. Do not unzip it! The exe will do that automatically.

Check you main game folder to see if there IS a "Build Info.txt" file. That should have been included in the b14_beta3_full.7z file, of course.
Perhaps your main archive got corrupted? Check that it has to correct filesize. If not, try to redownload.

OOW!
it has to be a rar archive, that was the problem all the time.
i EXTRACTED the archive into the folder instead of dragging the original file into it.

guys, please accept this as constructive criticism, it would be really cool if the instructions of how to get this mod installed was a little clearer.
your work is all sorts of awesome
the installing process is so different from the previous build mods that it had me confused a couple of times^^

but thanks a lot for you help guys :thumbs1

Last edited:
Yes this installation process is different from previous versions of the mod. :cool But it is the same as other much more popular mods like Black Mesa Source and the people there are not having all of these problems. This is confusing to me.:shrug

guess peole who are already firm with new horizons expect it to be a little more complex :D
soo, i got it to work now, but the dialogue windows are all blurry (and so is the main menue and the loading screens, if that is any important)
i already changed the resolution via editor, which took no effect on that
do you have any clue what exactly i should change in the editor to fix this/what else could solve that problem?
arrhoy.png

Ahh, that looks like something that is easy to fix in the engine.ini. Somehow you have turned on the low quality textures.

Look for the line "texture_degradation" and set it to zero.

You can also set your screen resolution there.

What has RAR got to do with it?

The installation should be as simple as putting both files in the same folder and following the wizard.
If anyone has got ANY clue how to make it simpler, please tell me because I really have not the foggiest.
(Other than making it ONE file, of course. Unfortunately the size prevents me from doing that anymore. :( )

Engine.ini is already included in the modpack download now, so I do not understand how it could end up being set wrongly. :shock

aye, mate
indeed hardly a chance to make it any simpler, but no one asked for that ;D
what i meant is that it's so easy now it easily gets people confused since there were a lot more steps required before

so what about the text windows:shrug

What about the text windows?

Then the next thing would be to look at screen_bpp. This sets it to 32 bit or 16 bit graphics. Here is a screenie of my engine.ini. All I have changed is the screen resolution to suit my system and it runs fine.
engine.ini settings.jpg

oooh darn :D
so look, i tried that out too and it didnt affect the graphics at all. switching to 16 bit only caused additional malfunktions such as the intro being only blackscreen+sound but
simply executing the game as an admin solved the problem...
thanks for all of your help anyway.

edit:
so I encountered another bug, preventing me from visiting islands.
i can neither quick sail to ports or shores, nor moor and go ashore when sailing there manually.
this pic shows me in front of LaGrenade, the quick travel menue opened up, where you can only see the ships floating around the island :/

i've encountered the same bug a lot of time ago, somewhat in b13, so i hope there is a fix to it which you guys already know
buggythepirate.png

Last edited:
Switch to Arcade Game Mode in the game's Options menu. Sounds to me like the "Discover Sail-To" feature is confusing you. :wp

If anyone has got ANY clue how to make it simpler, please tell me because I really have not the foggiest.
(Other than making it ONE file, of course. Unfortunately the size prevents me from doing that anymore. :( )

Engine.ini is already included in the modpack download now, so I do not understand how it could end up being set wrongly. :shock
Perhaps screenshots would really help.... A LOT. :yes:onya

3-4 pics I think is enough. With the 2 files in the same folder and location, what to click and where to direct. Well, that would really lessen confusion. :shrug

Also, that only helps for people who actually care to read the instructions.
Many people just completely skip over that part, even if they are RIGHT THERE IN THE "(FAKE) LICENCE AGREEMENT"!
That is why for Beta 3 I tried to make the installer SO fool-proof that we wouldn't NEED instructions,
because it would refuse to be installed incorrectly. Of course that failed miserably as well. Can't win. :facepalm

Back