• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

...I've got a new idea...

NEVER! I must keep working.
Grappling Tier 2
When its time to get ready for boarding, tie a rope to your grappling hook. When you try to hook the ship try to aim for the portholes. If you hook a rail on deck, the enemy might be able to cut the rope.

Don’t be too quick to put the boarding plank across. If it goes across to early, it might fall between the two ships.

If you wear a peg leg, be sure to check if the deck of the ship is made of a knotted wood. You don’t want to be getting stuck in the deck of their ship.

When you get on board, the first thing you want to do is kill the helmsman. Doing this will keep them from trying to pull away from your ship.

If he hasn’t been one of the first officers killed, take care of the Bosun. He’s usually directing the defence of the ship, and running him through will seriously limited the sort of defence that can be mounted.

Your next target should be the Chief Gunner. With him out of the way, it will throw the cannoneer team into disarray, and will keep the damage done to your ship at a minimum.

By this time, your captain should dealing with the enemy captain. If your captain fails to kill the enemy captain, then you kill him. If the enemy captain lives, then you’re a dead man anyway.

Good luck and happy pillaging!

Gotta keep working.... if I stop now, I'll just start working on something else and get side tracked. Besides I want to finish the tier 2 two pages so I can start testing again.

If I finish my supper, I get desert :))

Defence tier 2
Dealing with serious wounds on board a vessel can be a daunting process. This manual will help you treat various wounds that you will encounter

A sabre flesh wound:
A simple flesh wound to the first layer of is easy treated with a silk mesh pad, and wrapped with a bandage.(A musket-ball graze wound can be treated in the same way.

A deep stab wound:As long as it isn’t in the torso, cauterizing is the recommended treatment. Give the injured plenty of rum to drink, this will help keep him from experiencing too much pain during treatment. Heat a metal rod to red hot, and brace the wounded person. You may want to tell the man to bite down on a piece of wood or bunched up cloth. Insert the heated rod into the wound for 10-15 seconds.

Musket-ball wound:
Again, as long as it isn’t in the torso treatment is very much the same as as a deep stab wound with the exception being after the patient is given plenty of rum, the musket-ball must be removed.

Amputation:
This procedure is a last option, and is only to be done if the wound that has been treated is not healing, or the limb in question has been mangled. The first step is cutting the supplying artery and vein, to prevent hemorrhage. The muscles are cut, and finally the bone is sawed through. Skin and muscle flaps are then pulled over the stump. You may wish to add a fixture to attach a false limb.

In all cases, pour rum over the wound before treatment to prevent infection.

Ew..this one turn my stomach a bit, especially being one who has had to cauterize a wound.... :eww

I haven't had much of a chance to look around yet, but I just ran across THIS! I know... I know, I should be writing something and not looking at pretty pictures! :wp

yer right....those are pretty pictures....I wish i had that kind of talent...

Especially when I created this...

2dvu45l.jpg

to anyone reading this
If you have artistic skills....please help me make this picture better. I have the artistic of a Moose thats just been hit by a transport truck!

I've the artistic skills of a braindamaged kitten. Actually, I can draw quite well, but my graphic design is at roughly a preschool level.

xD:
Alrighty...so finally the last book Tier 2 Trade is done
Skillfully persuading the authorities to let you go on your way when they have witnessed you committing a crime can be tricky business. Hopefully you will learn a few things with this book.

Bribery is one such way to accomplish this. Every man has his price, it is just a matter of figuring out what that price is. Have plenty of spare gold on hand.

Blackmail is another method, however it takes much more planning and skill. Get information on the Captain of the Guard, and all guards in the city. If you find one piece of damning information, tell him you know his secret, but don’t tell him what it is. That will be enough to get him paranoid. If tries to arrest you at any point, tell him straight out what you know, and tell him that a friend of yours knows, and if you don’t check in with your friend everyday, he’ll tell whoever (governor, judge, wife, etc)

Using these techniques, you may not see the inside of a prison cell as often.

Warning! If you do get sent to jail, the use of the blackmail technique may cause you to see the inside of a cell for even longer.

Now we just have to wait for the tier 1 books to be finished up and we can finish up the mod!!! So i have to go to bed now, but tommorrow I can spend the day testing. Have you been able to get the books to show up in store Darkhymn?

Just a note before I have my desert (aka testing...w00t) I have also made up the 'combo skill' books that ModernKnight has brought forward in an early post. <Post snapback-a-roni>

Since it mostly requires nothing more than copy and pasting, with a bit of font adjustment, I will not post them.

Its funny...I was just thinking the same thing I was testing...so I thought I'd come back and check. I think he knows how it can be done, but probably got side tracked with trying to get the darn books to show up in store...which is also proving to be troublesome.

That probably IS more important, yes.
No point in making a good mod that ends up not being seen. :facepalm

thats what I was thinkin...

I'm going to mess the values and see if i can get them to show up....

if i can then i'll try dropping this in for the PIRATES attributes as you specified

Code:
if(CheckCharacterItem(char, "bookpower_1") // If the character has the book that increases power/strength
{
char.SPECIAL.old.Strength = char.SPECIAL.Strength; // Remember the character's value for that
char.SPECIAL.Strength = char.SPECIAL.Strength + 1; // Increase the character's value by 1
}
else // If the character does not have the book (anymore)
{
if(CheckAttribute(char,"SPECIAL.old.Strength")) // Check if the character used to have a different value
{
char.SPECIAL.Strength = char.SPECIAL.old.Strength; // Restore that value
}
}
EDIT:
Well...i've made the books as common as bullets (which can be bought in any store) and still no show... so there has to be a file that we are missing..the hunt begins

I have had pirates books working ingame. Problem is, that increasing the pirates stats via item the way we are with the skills makes the pirate books worthless. Your stat goes up by one or two, but your skills do not increase to reflect it, so I'm not sure the stat increases effect anything at all. To be honest, with as many points as we have at the beginning of the game, anyway, I can't see much point. Even if the pirates books worked I don't think they would actually add anything to the gameplay.

Okay, lets move on There is no sense on dwelling on something that will, if anything, only bring no to limited upgrades. Lets focus our attention on trying to get these damn books to show up in the stores

EDIT: I've 'cheated my character to lvl 40, and still not one books shows up in store...very odd :shrug

Well. After looking for a few hours and running tests on how to get these books to show in store...I still have nothing. I did fix a small issue with a price of one of the other books
booklight_1 was only 110 gold..I've got it back up to 2000 like the rest of them.

I can't tell why the damn things aren't showing up in the store...
Code:
makeref(itm,Items[n]);
itm.id = "booklight_1";
itm.groupID = MAPS_ITEM_TYPE
itm.name = "itmname_booklight_1";
itm.describe = "itmdescr_booklight_1";
itm.model = "OpenBook";
itm.picIndex = 10;
itm.picTexture = "BOOKS_1";
//itm.shown = false;
// boal 19.01.2004 -->
itm.price = 2000;
itm.Weight = 3;
itm.imageTga = "books\booklight_1";

itm.Warrior.rare = 0.01;
itm.Warrior.min = 1;
itm.Warrior.max = 1;

itm.Solder.rare = 0.03;
itm.Solder.min = 1;
itm.Solder.max = 1;
// boal 19.01.2004 <--
itm.minlevel = 1;
itm.rare = 0.03;
I even coded itm.rare = 1

so confuzled.

What if you copy the code of an item that you KNOW shows up in the stores and change only the name?

What if you copy the code of an item that you KNOW shows up in the stores and change only the name?

I think i may have figure it out, tho I havent gotten the books to show up yet, we hadn't added the books refrdm.itm list at the bottom of initimes

so I would have to add all the books like so
Code:
makeref(rnditem,RandItems[45]);
rnditem.id = "bookleader_1";
rnditem.maxQuanity = 1;

What clue me in is that if I made 2 items called bullets, then both the bullets would show, but once I changed the name of bullets to bookleader_1 the thing wouldnt show...
Im hoping this works

EDIT:
Looks like I am wrong on this account. I removed
Code:
	makeref(rnditem,RandItems[36]);
rnditem.id = "bullet"; // boal "Mineral1";
rnditem.maxQuantity = 20;
From that list, and when I loaded up a new game, the bullets were still in the shop list.......

Ohhh. Well crap. That would do it. If that works, the mod will be ready for release as soon as the page textures are complete. Sorry I sort of dropped off the map as far as working on this, I've had some things come up, and the headaches won't go away... and things are just hectic. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into this stuff soon. Glad to see you've fixed my ovrsight, anyway, and I hope to see an official release topic for this very soon :)

no no no , i don't think it works....I removed the bullets from the list and it failed to get bullets off the store list...so its back to the drawing board...sorry bud

Don't worry about you're so called dropping off the map, with out I'd still be bashing my head off the screen

Have you tried adding the books to "items.H"

Also found this in "seadogs.C"

Code:
#include "ITEMS\items.h"
#include "ITEMS\itemLogic.c"
#include "ITEMS\items_utilite.c"

Code:
//homo òóò ýòî äîëæíî òî÷íî ðàáîòàòü
RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, BLADE_ITEM_TYPE);
RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, GUN_ITEM_TYPE);
RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, SPYGLASS_ITEM_TYPE);
RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, PATENT_ITEM_TYPE);
RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, CIRASS_ITEM_TYPE);
RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, MAPS_ITEM_TYPE);
DeleteAttribute(pchar, "items");
InterfaceStates.startGameWeather = FindWeather("20 Hour");
LoadMainCharacterInFirstLocationGroup("Estate", "reload", "reload1");
}

Maybe adding the books here will aid you, not sure though.

Also the iteam's are listed in "utils.C" loacted in "Program\scripts" i think this is a must file for adding new iteam's, because from what i can see every iteam is listed there.

Back