• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

...I've got a new idea...

You might want to have a look through the PotC Build Mod titles and descriptions.
They're quite witty. :cheeky

Nice images too! They've actually got a relation to what they'll be for!
In PotC, we just used a random selection of book pictures,
not particularly related to the content. :onya
Thanks Mate. I really like messing around and making new items and such. I got a good chuckle out of the titles and descriptions. As i move forward with titles and descripitons, the higher level books I am keeping on a more serious note, but i am having fun with the titles and descriptions of the lower ranked books.

Nice work bud, they look really cool :onya .

Sounds like your having alot of fun with these books or at least there titles and descriptions. xD:

Well, it certainly is tougher than i thought it would be. Coming up with 42 seperate titles and discriptions is taxing my creativity.

Update #2
I have created a priliminary list of book titles and descriptions. Due to their wittiness, I couln't help but use a few descriptions from Build 14.

Please feel free to add your own suggestions for titles and descripitions....

I am going to sleep now...

Books Names/Descriptions (in order from least to best)

Leadership:
1. Being a Bosun for Dummies {A very simple guide to being a Bosun. Includes pictures.}
2 Prevent Mutiny 101 {A 'detailed' checklist of what a captain must do to prevent mutiny. Includes aids
to remind one when payments are due, and step by step instructions of how to get possible mutineers to
walk the plank}
3. British Command Manual {A detailed manual to aid Captains in ensuring that their word is respect aboard
a vessel.

Light Weapons:
1.A dagger is not for shaving. {An illustrated diagram showing how daggers are held, and what their uses
are}
2.Effective stances {This book instructs the reader on how to stand and move about to maximize their
agility with light weapons}
3.Light Weapons Book of Talhoffer {This is the Light Weapons version of the Book of Talhoffer. A martial
artists way of using light weapons}

Medium Weapons:
1.The Cutlass is your friend {A book detailing how easy it is to wield such a weapon. Nothing is stated
about being effective with it}
2. Rapiers : More than just a toothpick! (while a good cutlass is the standard, sometimes you just need a quick poke!)
3. Medium Weapons Book of Talhoffer {This is the Medium Weapons version of the Book of Talhoffer. A
martial artists way of using medium weapons}

Heavy Weapons:
1.The Sharp end is the Blade. {A heavy weapons diagram showing which end the handle is}
2.Heavy Weapons exercise book. {A training book showing different exercises to work the proper muscles one
would use in wielding a heavy weapon
3.Heavy Weapons Book of Talhoffer {This is the Heavy Weapons version of the Book of Talhoffer. A martial
artists way of using heavy weapons}

Pistols:
1. Empty Rum bottle Gallery {A how-to on setting up your own firing range. Don't empty the bottles
yourself}
2. 101 reload drills {A book describing where to keep your powder and spare rounds, to reduce reloading
time}
3. More Bang for your Buck {How to load your weapon with just the right amount of powder. No sense in
blowing your hand off}

Luck:
1. You put a horseshoe WHERE?! {Get the Maximum from your good luck charms. Don't sit down too quickly}
2. Zig and Zag at the same time {Written by Jack Sparrow, his wild movements are known to dodge incoming
bullets, and is able to achieve incredible acrobatics without a spot of rum}
3. Make your own luck {Discovering false bottoms in chests, and learning where to look on corpses will
greatly increase the jingle in your pockets}

Stealth:
1. Barrels, Bushes and other Hiding Spots {A list of various places to duck into when hiding from the
guards}
2. You're only who you act to be {Disguises can be useful, but changing your walk, adding a limp, changing
adding an accent can all mislead your persuers}
3. Hiding in plain sight {Changing your flag is not enough. Quickly changing your ships name can help.
Having spare uniforms from different nations can really throw the enemy off your tail}

Navigation:
1. North is that way {Basic navigational directions. Includes a rusted compass with no needle.}
2. Sextant is not part of the Kamasutra {Directions on how to use this navigational device}
3. Stars aren't just for lovers {Complete with a fold out astronomical chart, this manual teaches the
reader how to read the stars to get where they need to go}

Accuracy:
1. Iron sights for idiots {Aim between the iron sights. Line up with the end sight. What else do you need
to know?}
2. If you can can see it...{...you can shoot it. Aiding musketeers hit their target with accuracy}
3.Degrees to distance {How to calculate the degrees needed to fire at over a set distance. Contains a
handy fold out chart}

Cannons:
1. Your balls are important. {A detailed checklist of what is needed to load cannons}
2. Knipples, Nails and Knives {In a pinch, almost anything will work as ammo. This book contains all types
of ammo, and their stopping power}
3. Cannoneer Training Manual {Includes various drills, teaches about pre-loading cannons safely, and
which end to aim outside the ship}

Grappling:
1. Boarding Bring list {Its embarrassing to forget you sword when boarding. This book will help you
remember to pack your bags properly}
2. Black Bart's Bumper Book of Boarding revised {Chapters on: Always tie a rope to your grappling hook -
Don't Board ships with Knotted Pine decks if you have a peg leg and Always let your men go first.}
3. Strike Fast, Strike First {The first to board the others vessel is usually the one to win the battle.
This book offers great hints, including having boarding weapons stratigicaly placed, boarding hooks prepared
for use, and having boarders head to the enemy's gun deck}

Defence:
1. Darth's Defence Diagrams {A picture book showing where to set traps to keep enemy boarders at bay}
2. Bandages and Cauterizing {A first-aid manual showing how to stick wounds and pull rounds from wounded
soldiers}
3. Tricky Defence Tactics {A very detailed manual on setting traps aboard your vessel. Includes the use of
oil slicks, caltrops, a bed of nails, and a swinging can of pitch}

Repair:
1. Ship Repair Without Nails {Yes - using horse hoof glue - save thousands in repair bills
and much quieter - no hammering noises}
2. Morgan's Missing Mizzen {Detailed description of how Morgan repaired his mizzen mast at sea using only
his headscarf and his first mate's peg leg - illustrated - a must for those sea skirmishes and storms.}
3. Can we use this for parts? {Blue prints of various vessels and marks what parts of the ship can be
substituted for parts, including port hatches, floor boards, and the captains cabin door)

Trade:
1. Bargaining for beginners {Lists key phrases like; Can't you do better? How about if I pay you later? and
How Much!?}
2. Bribery for beginners {A how to on cramming coin into the pockets of your pursuers}
3. United Provinces Trade Manual {Originally in Dutch, and now translated in all languages used in the
Caribbean, this manual points out the names of ports and traders willing to overlook taxes, and provide
great deals}

That's a whole lot of books. :yes
I figured that a 'world' such as the caribbean would have more than just a few books. I am thinking of adding even more books. 42 to different books seems to be a small number in a world as big as the caribbean.

This is yet another fantastic idea FireBat! It is much more realistic, I have always thought the "oogy boogy" bits were a bit overdone. It makes much more sense to actually learn something. :onya

I noticed you didn't have a title for the second book in the medium weapons category, how about something like this :

2. Rapiers : More than just a toothpick! (while a good cutlass is the standard, sometimes you just need a quick poke!)

:shock more books, you better get back to work then and no sleeping for you. :whipa :razz

On a more serious note, well done bud, you have done an increddible job there and i can't wait to see them ingame. :onya

This is yet another fantastic idea FireBat! It is much more realistic, I have always thought the "oogy boogy" bits were a bit overdone. It makes much more sense to actually learn something. :onya

I noticed you didn't have a title for the second book in the medium weapons category, how about something like this :

I like it! I will add it to the list. If you folks find some of the titles and descriptions too corny, don't be afraid to offer your input. I ran out of steam creatively and as time went along my titles got worse.

I like it! I will add it to the list.

Careful FireBat ...encouraging me can be dangerous! xD:

How about including a few regular books as well, just to mix it up a bit. Books that don't actually increase any skills but sound like they might. Keep em guessing a bit!

I like it! I will add it to the list.

Careful FireBat ...encouraging me can be dangerous! xD:

How about including a few regular books as well, just to mix it up a bit. Books that don't actually increase any skills but sound like they might. Keep em guessing a bit!

This would be a much better idea if we could make them readable. ie Morrowind.
Actually... Perhaps we could, in much the same way that maps are viewable. *Runs off to look into it*

Edit: I just took a very perfunctory look at the way maps are implemented... Seems like would could easily enough just add books to initItems.c that act just like maps (using essentially the exact same code) pointing at whatever images we chose to use. Opinions? I'm probably missing something huge, or else I'd probably already be testing it :will

That sounds like an excellent idea. However I do see a couple of coding problems that perhaps some like your self could help me with. As i repeatidly mention I am retarded when it comes to code, so I will do my best to explain.

Being a big fan of the Elder Scrolls Series myself I know that skills cannot be gainned from reading the same book twice. The same goes for having a duplicate of the same item in COAS will not increase the skill it affects. After a book is sold in Morrowind/Oblivion, the player keeps the skill points he/she has learned from reading the book. How do we make this work for COAS? At this point items that influence skill points at the very least have to be in ones inventory.

This is definetly the route that I wanted to go down when the idea of creating books came to me (of course at the time i didnt realise that books had been created for PotC as well)
I havent had much time to do the coding end of things as of yet, as I have been concentrating my efforts on the creative side of things, until I build up the courage to tackle the code end)

(FB EDIT: If the code can be worked like the books of Oblivion/Morrowind, there is another little problem. If the books code was made similar to the maps where the books could be 'read' how would one turn the pages? If all of these issues are worked out, i do see a lot of writing in my future. xD: )

We did it the simple way in PotC and just have the books as regular skill-enhancing items.
Give the book to another character and you lose the bonus and he/she gets it.
Completely realistic? Nope. But it's easiest to code. :cheeky

That sounds like an excellent idea. However I do see a couple of coding problems that perhaps some like your self could help me with. As i repeatidly mention I am retarded when it comes to code, so I will do my best to explain.

Being a big fan of the Elder Scrolls Series myself I know that skills cannot be gainned from reading the same book twice. The same goes for having a duplicate of the same item in COAS will not increase the skill it affects. After a book is sold in Morrowind/Oblivion, the player keeps the skill points he/she has learned from reading the book. How do we make this work for COAS? At this point items that influence skill points at the very least have to be in ones inventory.

This is definetly the route that I wanted to go down when the idea of creating books came to me (of course at the time i didnt realise that books had been created for PotC as well)
I havent had much time to do the coding end of things as of yet, as I have been concentrating my efforts on the creative side of things, until I build up the courage to tackle the code end)

(FB EDIT: If the code can be worked like the books of Oblivion/Morrowind, there is another little problem. If the books code was made similar to the maps where the books could be 'read' how would one turn the pages? If all of these issues are worked out, i do see a lot of writing in my future. xD: )

I'm not sure about permanent skill increases. I don't know enough about the structure of CoAS yet to be sure whether/how it can be done within the bounds of the existing libraries.

As for the 'pages' issue, following the 'maps' line of thought, I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't be able to have pages. They would be static, two 'page' images, like this:
istockphoto_5352421-blank-open-book.jpg

Except obviously in the correct size, and with a short, humorous (or perhaps even historically significant?) blurb 'printed' on them. I have no doubt that there is probably a better way to implement it (or some serious flaws that I haven't thought of in this one), but this is what I came up with in a few minutes of wild brainstorming as I was catching up on this thread this morning.

We did it the simple way in PotC and just have the books as regular skill-enhancing items.

I'm gonna climb on this bandwagon. It would be relatively easy to do this, using the current "Voodoo" items as the template. Though I'm not sure what would have to be done (or if it is even possible) to make them both give the bonuses and behave like maps for readability. I'm not sure how the bonuses are handled. I'll check after my latest reinstall is finished, if I'm still conscious... I'm still running on yesterday's oil... So I'm not quite at full steam.

BUT I WANT REALISM *TANTRUM* xD:

Acutally, this could work to our advantage as well, these books could be used to boost the skills of your officers as well. However, i would also be able to read the book and then sell it or whatever. Maybe as we get a crack at this source code, these things will be able to be implemented, but in the meantime, I may just have to code the books as regular skill enhancing items.

I'm not sure about permanent skill increases. I don't know enough about the structure of CoAS yet to be sure whether/how it can be done within the bounds of the existing libraries.
As for the 'pages' issue, following the 'maps' line of thought, I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't be able to have pages. They would be static, two 'page' images, like this:
istockphoto_5352421-blank-open-book.jpg

Except obviously in the correct size, and with a short, humorous (or perhaps even historically significant?) blurb 'printed' on them. I have no doubt that there is probably a better way to implement it (or some serious flaws that I haven't thought of in this one), but this is what I came up with in a few minutes of wild brainstorming as I was catching up on this thread this morning.

This idea will work for now. As I said above, im sure once the source code is cracked...all of these thoughts can be implemented

I don't think you need the source code for that book reading stuff.
Pretty sure it can be done by just changing stuff in the PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folders.
I can understand if you don't know how to do it though;
truth be told, with my lack of proper coding skills, I don't know either.
I just know enough to know that it can be done. :yes

In PotC we also have dialogs through which you get a skill increase that stays without requiring an item. It's basically something like:
Code:
pchar.skill.fencing = pchar.skill.fencing + 1;
You'd just need to trigger a line like that when the book is being equipped (=read).
Then add another line:
Code:
TakeItemFromCharacter(pchar, "book_fencing");
The main issue is figuring out where to put this code to make it work.
Not being familiar with CoAS, I don't really know. :shrug

Additionally you'll need to add a check so that you can't do it again with the same book.
This could be done like this:
Code:
// -- IN A FUNCTION THAT IS RUN WHEN THE BOOK IS EQUIPPED -- //
if(!CheckAttribute(pchar, "book_fencing") // If the player has NOT read the fencing book yet
{
pchar.skill.fencing = pchar.skill.fencing + 1; // Increase the player's fencing skill
TakeItemFromCharacter(pchar, "book_fencing"); // Remove the book from the player's inventory
pchar.book_fencing = true; // Mark the player as having read the book
}

Could this learning from books be implemented over a period of game time...not just buy the book & skill up instantly.Maybe a couple of game weeks to learn then pass the book onto an appropriate crew member.....that's more realistic.

Im not sure if that would work with COAS. I have yet to come across an item that increases the players stats that does not leave once the item is sold or no longer in the player's inventory.
below is the code for the jaguar image that increases the players heavy weapons skill by 10
Code:
    	// itmname_indian12	{Èäîë Ìîðõàõòóëàêà} (+1 ôåõòîâàíèå).
skillN = skillN + SetCharacterSkillByItem(_refCharacter, skillName, SKILL_F_HEAVY, "indian12", 1)

Of course, once the jag is sold, the bonus is lost.

Additionally you'll need to add a check so that you can't do it again with the same book.
This could be done like this:
Code:
// -- IN A FUNCTION THAT IS RUN WHEN THE BOOK IS EQUIPPED -- //
if(!CheckAttribute(pchar, "book_fencing") // If the player has NOT read the fencing book yet
{
pchar.skill.fencing = pchar.skill.fencing + 1; // Increase the player's fencing skill
TakeItemFromCharacter(pchar, "book_fencing"); // Remove the book from the player's inventory
pchar.book_fencing = true; // Mark the player as having read the book
}

This of course would be ideal. I am just concerned that the code doesnt translate that easily from one game to the next. I will give it a shot once i get to coding.

(This brings up an interesting point...that 1=10 2=20 3=30. Therefor, the books would increase skill levels by 10 20 or 30. If the player had all the books for a skill, that would mean that the player would have a total of 70 points in that skill. That seems a bit high...I wonder if i could use non whole numbers...something to test later once i get to the coding portion)

Could this learning from books be implemented over a period of game time...not just buy the book & skill up instantly.Maybe a couple of game weeks to learn then pass the book onto an appropriate crew member.....that's more realistic.

This too is an excellent point. I think this would definetly require editing the source code. This may be a bit too much realism for the rest of the players.

In the meantime, I am going for a nap...2 hours from now and i start my nightshift

Pirate KK might be able to point you in the right direction to code it in :shrug

Back