• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Keep dying when boarding

Killerjoy96

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Provisional
Hello all,

I have this problem when I play around in freeplay. I'm going for sinking a ship shipping of ... The ship struck her colors and I went aboard or they board me. I bought a dragonbreath sword i believe it was called. It was the best I could get at the shop so I start boarding or they board me but I die within 4 hits. Is there someway to change this or any tips on how to survive longer.

What level are you at and what are your skill levels? At the beginning of the game you have no skills or abilities and are easily killed. You need to learn how to survive and build yourself up before you can do that exciting stuff.

Also, the town guards have the best swords but they are professionals and are not easily killed. Equip yourself and your officers with those swords and you will do a little better. Have you visited the opium den on Jamaica yet?

I haven't been on the opium den and like I said I just started the Nathaniel hawk storyline. Sailed to Curacao bought a sword, asked for the sink a ship quest and started doing that. However if you can't do that immediately doesn't that kill the freeplay experience?

Not at all! It just kills the fantasy that you are Superman. As far as POTC is concerned you are some kid that that somehow got himself a ship but still doesn't know which end of a sword to hold.
Did you do the tutorial with Malcolm? After doing that your melee skill should be at least 3, but I prefer level 4. Remember that a skill level of 5 is just average.

I think the '' sink a ship quest'' from the Island Governors is supposed to match the size and power of the target ship so that it is close to the players. If however you are just starting out then attacking a ship of the same size as your own may not be a good,:no since as Hylie says at the beginning of the game you have a low level of skills and few if any abilities.

Instead of asking for the '' sink a ship quest'' - it might be better to sail around some islands and look for ( Pirate) ships that are smaller than yours and attack those first.

That way you can build up your skills at sailing, cannons, melee and the others, if you have at least one officer then you can capture the ship and sell it which helps to build up your gold.

As your skills increase you can get yourself a larger ship ( capture or buy ) and thus attack larger ships.

:cheers

I have done the tutorial but I'm still getting used to so much things that are different to the original game. Haven't played the mod so much actually when I think about it.

Back