• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Kraken Tentacles and Plane of Sand

What would be you people's opinion on the (low) possibility of a random Kraken attack at sea as a DirectSail encounter?
We could limit this to just the earlier periods or add an attribute to the player that enables/disables the chance.
That way, it could be turned on/off in various storylines. Any thoughts?

That would make the game even better, I think. In my opinion, the Kraken attacks should have the enable/disable switch.

Lots of sailors in those years believed in all kinds of sea creatures. So making a slim chance that the player may actually be attacked by the Kraken sounds pretty cool.
yes.gif

Any storyline after Jack Sparrow is OFF...
And then a low possibility for all the ones before, including Jack Sparrow with an attribute that CAN turn it off :yes
Sounds about right to me. Should we make the attacks so ferocious that you're certain to be sunk?
We could do just some small attacks. Or random intensity. Or something.

We don't want to force instant-game-overs on the player though, do we?

Could you put a feature similar to the firedrill in, where you lose control of the ship because all hands are focused on fighting off the tentacles. I think it should be added to the advanced options menu, with 3 settings - never randomly encounter it, only in storylines before Jack Sparrow, and all periods. Another setting could control severity, from certain death, to more realistic (not supernatural), where it is quite easily repelled, and doesn't do too much damage. And everything in between.

How about, you lose your ship and you have to run away in a little dingy.

That would probably cause many players to stop playing: imagine that you have a 2nd rate with all available upgrades and hold full of gold. Then kraken attacks and sinks your ship...

I think we should add some sort of intensity modifier line like the theft/notheft one.

i like the idea. in my opion though, i should be a one-in-1000 chance, making it an easter egg of sorts. only the more experienced players might have encountered it. it would make direct sail more attractive too, as well as longer playing time.

Why not triggering it only if you fight the dutchman, and try to flee... kind of davy sending you a good by gift... with a certain death in that case... and that could have the "call the kraken" sound
As for other situations, i agree Morgan Terror.
And since we are imaginating... maybe a quest that gives you control of the kraken if you defeat davy, with a very long cooldown period...

that might be more of a thing limited to the main quest. however, i don't see anything wrong with going in the direction of Will Turner at the end of the movie trilogy, apart from the fact that some people might hate the unrealistic aspect. the kraken was dead by then though, so we'd have to bend the script a bit.

This is definitely some cool stuff! Fantastic work IRF and Pieter and everyone else involved! :cheers

In my opinion, outside of the Jack Sparrow story line it should be nothing more than a giant squid as far as damage is concerned. With a rare chance of encountering it during direct sale. And then only doing minor damage depending on the size of ship you are sailing. The smaller the ship, the more the damage, but I don't think it should be able to outright sink anything bigger than tartan. Maybe some hull damage and rigging, and occasionally loosing a crewman or 3. :shrug

At the moment, if your ship sinks in PotC Build mod, you DO survive in a lifeboat! :razz

Also at the moment, hitting one tentacle does 50 damage to the hull.
My intention is that eventually, especially with a small ship,
you might be able to manoeuvre so you don't hit all tentacles.
Still need to modify the code to allow for that.

If we make a Kraken attack always have such an intensity that if you hit ALL tentacles, a small ship would sink,
but a big one would surive, would that be alright?
That way a big ship which can't avoid them, won't be sunk anyway and it'll just be a bit of fun.
A small ship that could be sunk will be able to manoeuvre to avoid the tentacles.

I'm not sure how to temporarily block control of the ship.
Doesn't have much purpose either, I think.
You're not going to get too many Kraken attacks at times when you NEED to manoeuvre.
Most likely will be in the middle of the sea. :shrug

Very well then. But only one, because I want to go to bed. :razz
Keep in mind I have yet to update the code; I'm not yet happy with where the tentacles are being generated.
For now, they're all generating in front of the ship, while the code should distribute them around the ship.
Will experiment with that in the weekend, I hope.

24.gif

Nice screen shot Pieter, although, that dude looks pretty calm for having a kraken tentacle plowing through the deck! xD:

Back