• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

L' Hermione Fully Armed, Seeking Funding For Stern Lantern!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
The last canon has arrived at Rochefort, where L' Hermione was built, and is now on deck and in position with it's other battery mates! She is now only a few weeks away from starting her sea trials in late July! They also recently hoisted the replica longboats on board. The longboats are called "chaloupe" in French, and they are one of many different kinds of boats that would be carried on board sailing vessels.

You can see some great pics of the boats and her canon in place that over on Pinterest HERE! They have some great pictures of her over on Pinterest from the Fesival of Sails a few weeks ago also, you can view those greta pictures HERE!

Here are a couple of videos uploaded to Youtube showing some of the final legs of the last canons journey to L' Hermione.

One thing however is still missing, the lantern on the taffrail! Association Hermione has started a fund raising campaign of the French crowd funding site kisskissbankbank.com. I haven't checked in to it much, but I am assuming it is similar to Kickstarter. The goal of the campaign is to raise €40,000 ($54,394), the campaign will run for 80 days. If the goal is met, the Association will commission 32 year old blacksmith Aurélien Velot to forge the ironwork. Aurélien Velot has been working on L' Hermione for many years, having already forged her railings and gates, and a lot of the other iron work on board.

The lantern will be approximately 1.60 meters(5ft ,3 inches) tall and made from iron and curved lenticular glass lenses.. The lantern requires a complex creation because it is asymmetrical and particularly impressive. This will be the last of the historic recreations of the frigate. So far, the project has 51 backers and has raised over 2,925 € ($3,977). You can see the design of the lantern on the campaign page and there are some great rewards listed on the donation page. To take advantage of the higher tier packages though, you really need to live in France.

I was also able to find out a few more details about her which I hadn't found before. The total cost of construction so far has been at least €25 million Euros, or about $34 million US. Though that figure has likely gone up a bit. She was built from 2,000 oak trees selected from forests throughout France. There are over 400,000 individual wood and steel parts that make up gorgeous ship.

Her captain is Yann Cariou, a 57 year old retired French Naval officer with 30 years experience, including seven years serving on tall ships, with three in command of the 3 masted training vessel Belem. He will be in command of the frigate for the voyage to America in April 2015. There will also be a crew of 150 volenteers on board that were chosen by the association from hundreds of applicants across France.

And just because I can't seem to get enough of this ship. Here is a video from back in 2011 of her lions figurehead being carved. In the video, it also shows the other two figurehead that were being considered before the final choice.

I also ran across this video which goes in to a bit more detail on many things about the construction of the ship, but unfortunately it is only in French. It is still well worth watching!

Attachments

• L_Hermione_2015.png
    L_Hermione_2015.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 32
I have found out some more information about the guns which I hadn't seen before, it's a bit disappointing but doesn't really surprise me either. The guns can not actually fire, they will be rigged with a system that will allow them to produce smoke and noise, but I haven't been able to find out just how they will be rigged. Apparently they have been testing the system and made some people in Rochefort nervous.. I was really hoping they would at least make it look real, something like this :

Also, some video of the last cannon being hoisted on board, audio is of course in French.

I have talked to the people at the Pirate Festival and the cannons they use are bored in such a way that balls can not be put in them. But powder can and it doesn't take much.

There is an old fort in the desert in Nevada that still has a working cannon. When they demonstrate it the powder charge used is wrapped in tin foil and easily fits in the palm of your hand, but still makes an ear splitting BOOM. That cannon is 2 meters or so long.

Thanks mate, I tried looking some information up but all I could find was camera stuff and gave up after a few pages. I despise what Google has become. I remember when you could actually use it to look stuff up! :rolleyes:

Back