• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Language Modding

Falcors

Landlubber
Hello everyone,

I'm here because i'd like to learn more about mods and I haven't find specific tutorials or guide for Sea Dogs : To each his own. I have knowledge in french and spanish and would like to work to try to implement those in the game.

Thanks for your help
Falcors

Hi Falcors! Welcome to our port. :pirates :pirateraft

You're in luck, translating the game(s) to other languages is actually rather simple. All text files that contain most lines for the game in a particular language (also called "strings"), are to be found in 'RESOURCE/INI/texts/', and are pretty self-explanatory if you have a look in there.

Create a copy of an existing language folder there and you can get started translating it to your desired new language.

Create a backup copy of an existing folder for safety (so you can revert to it if things happen to go wrong), and you can freely modify the strings in that existing language folder to your liking.

Last edited:
You're quite welcome. Have a look around, and let me know if you have any questions.

The files are set up so that usually each string has a variable assigned to it at the beginning -- this is how the code references and uses that text line. Don't change the text in the variable, only in the text string itself -- usually wrapped either in double quotes or curly brackets.

So for an advanced example:
Code:
SelectDeliveryTradeDialog0    {I've got a cargo of @<sGood> that I need urgently delivered to @<sTargetColony>. I'll pay you @<sMoney> for this. Deal?}
I'll change this into:
Code:
SelectDeliveryTradeDialog0    {I have a lot of @<sGood> that I need swiftly delivered to @<sTargetColony>. I'll pay you handsomely, @<sMoney> for the trip. Do we have an agreement?}

Or for a simple example:
Code:
string = Poor,"Poor"
I'll translate this into Hungarian:
Code:
string = Poor,"Szegény"

Last edited:
When you're done with your translation, or you want to test what you've done so far in-game, open the 'language.ini' file:
Code:
;
; ini file for language information
;
[COMMON]
defaultLanguage   = English
;defaultLanguage   = Russian
;defaultLanguage   = French
;defaultLanguage   = German
;defaultLanguage   = Spanish
;defaultLanguage   = Italian
strings       = common.ini
GlobalFile   = globals.txt

[DIRECTORY]
English       = english
Spanish       = spanish
German       = german
French       = french
Russian       = russian
Italian       = italian

[FONTS]
English       = fonts.ini
Spanish       = fonts.ini
German       = fonts.ini
French       = fonts.ini
Italian       = fonts.ini
Russian       = fonts_rus.ini

And change it to:
Code:
;
; ini file for language information
;
[COMMON]
;defaultLanguage   = English
;defaultLanguage   = Russian
;defaultLanguage   = French
;defaultLanguage   = German
;defaultLanguage   = Spanish
;defaultLanguage   = Italian
defaultLanguage  = MyLanguage
strings       = common.ini
GlobalFile   = globals.txt

[DIRECTORY]
English       = english
Spanish       = spanish
German       = german
French       = french
Russian       = russian
Italian       = italian
MyLanguage       = mylanguage

[FONTS]
English       = fonts.ini
Spanish       = fonts.ini
German       = fonts.ini
French       = fonts.ini
Italian       = fonts.ini
Russian       = fonts_rus.ini
MyLanguage       = fonts.ini

(Where "mylanguage"/"MyLanguage" is the name of your folder and the new language you've added to the game.)

Last edited:
You're in luck, translating the game(s) to other languages is actually rather simple. All text files that contain most lines for the game in a particular language (also called "strings"), are to be found in 'RESOURCE/INI/texts/', and are pretty self-explanatory if you have a look in there.
Unfortunately, TEHO has text in dialog code files also, instead of being separate files as in PotC, CoAS and CT I presume.
Same goes for the quest book.

Example:
Code:
        case "FDM_bug":
            dialog.text = "Well, you have one of the best cabins i have ever seen and in perfect condition. I do not see any thing wrong with it.";
            link.l1 = "Thanks then, no need to worry!";
            if (CheckAttribute(npchar, "quest.FDM_sails")) npchar.quest.FDM_full = "done";
            else DeleteAttribute(npchar, "quest.FDM_full");

break;

So you will also need to look in: PROGRAM\QuestBook and PROGRAM\dialogs\russian (including all sub folders and files.)

Unfortunately, TEHO has text in dialog code files also, instead of being separate files as in PotC, CoAS and CT I presume.

Great point! I forgot about the character dialogues folder ('Program/dialogs', the same in CT). Same principle, but here the strings are embedded in a script. Basically only double quoted sentences in ".text" and "link." lines need to be translated.

Yeah I will definetly look for the quest too, thanks.
I have an issue, I just wanted to test with a copy of the original language file and rename it and the menu appears with white boxes. When I select new game everything is fine but the menu is strange. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 332
So copy the RESOURCE\Textures\MainMenu\Russian folder and rename it to match your language.

Spot-on. Apparently another section I missed.

I wouldn't recommend using the Russian folders as templates, as Russian has a different alphabet: Cyrillic, not Latin. It's better to use the English or French folders for languages with a Latin alphabet.

Last edited:
Do you know if there is a file where I can add caracters ? Due to the difference in the languages, accents are not showing up for French. For Spanish there are reverse question marks or exclamations points too that need to be implemented.

It also seems that the ESC menu is not appearing in game anymore? It pauses the game and the cursor appears ? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Do you know if there is a file where I can add caracters ? Due to the difference in the languages, accents are not showing up for French. For Spanish there are reverse question marks or exclamations points too that need to be implemented.

The default textures/graphics for the Latin alphabet in-game already contain accented characters -- at least they do in Caribbean Tales, and they should in TEHO, too. As long as you type your text with accents into the text files, the game should be able to find the right character textures for those letters.

I think your problem may be that you are using the Russian folder as template -- which very likely does not have those accented characters. This is why I mentioned to use another folder, based on the Latin alphabet.

It also seems that the ESC menu is not appearing in game anymore? It pauses the game and the cursor appears ? Any ideas?

Most likely the pause (ESC) menu, too, has language folders somewhere for it in the code. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Okay, it turns out things a little more complicated. Do a search for "English" in the game directory, and you'll see that language folders are present in many locations in the game files. For most of these, all you have to do is to make a duplicate of the English folder there (and its contents) and rename it to your language.

See if the pause menu returns after you do this.

(Also make sure that you've copied the English folder into your chosen language in 'RESOURCE/Textures/MainMenu/', not the Russian one. There are also structural/design UI differences between the Russian and Latin-based language menus.)

Last edited:
Back