• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Language Modding

God, what a mess. The TEHO development team messed up the original structure -- that's why you've having difficulties.

Does the "russian" folder contain English strings, or Russian (usually shows as garbled text)?

(It's supposed to contain Russian, not English.)

Not all the files, some are all in english and others like Hero describe.txt is in russian :
upload_2019-9-10_20-55-55.png

I suspect these are files that the game does not use, so they didn't bother replacing/translating them.

I think what they did is use the Russian folder, and translated it into English.

In that case, where there is an English folder, use that. Where there is only a Russian folder, use that. That would be my best guess in how to proceed, since they've created this mess.

It didn't work unfortunatly for the ESC menu. For the alphabet I might need to implement the latin alphabet by myself. Any tips?

It didn't work unfortunatly for the ESC menu. For the alphabet I might need to implement the latin alphabet by myself. Any tips?

Can you post three things for me here -- because I don't have a copy of TEHO:

1. The contents of the original 'language.ini' file.
2. The contents of 'RESOURCE/INI/fonts.ini', if it exists.
3. An upload of the font/texture files that 'fonts.ini' references (in other words the 'fonts' folder).

The last one will be key to figuring out how to implement accented characters.

Last edited:
There you go. In the link there is the entire FONT folder from the texture folder. From what I see there are all the signs in the fonts.ini, it might be from the texture folder?

MEGA

Attachments

• fonts.ini
    41.3 KB · Views: 208
  • language.ini
    650 bytes · Views: 198
  • fonts.ini
    41.3 KB · Views: 184
Thanks. Looks promising. Out of curiosity, what did the 'language.ini' file contain before you pasted my code into it?

Okay, so, once again, things are not as they are meant to be.

Fonts-1.jpg Fonts-2.jpg Fonts-3.jpg

Have a look at the first screenshot. Those are the current font textures you are working with (in TEHO). Compare that with the second screenshot (these are the same ones from CT).

The third screenshot is textures that are the same in both games (for the menu) -- note how the Russian one differs from the texture used for the other languages.

What you actually have is the Russian font textures, without the Latin accented characters. This is why your game is failing to display these characters. Furthermore, your 'fonts.ini' file contains only references to the Russian textures, ignoring the existence of the Latin ones.

What we can do is try and port the CT textures back into TEHO, and modify the 'fonts.ini' accordingly. I'll see to this, and upload the new files for you here.

Last edited:
Here you go. Try this setup. (Back up your original files and replace them.)

The colour of the text will change slightly from that golden tint you're used to, but this change shouldn't be too jarring -- and it's a worthy sacrifice for having text you can actually read.

Attachments

• accentsport.zip
    128.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
God, what a mess. The TEHO development team messed up the original structure -- that's why you've having difficulties.

Does the "russian" folder contain English strings, or Russian (usually shows as garbled text)?

(It's supposed to contain Russian, not English.)

For some reason they decided to use the Russian folder for English, instead of having separate folders.
It always has been like this with TEHO, I don't know why they chose to do so but they did. :shrug

As if things are not complicated enough as it is. These things make me mad. :boom:

Why is it so hard for some to stick to sensible logic and established rules?

Here you go. Try this setup. (Back up your original files and replace them.)

The colour of the text will change slightly from that golden tint you're used to, but this change shouldn't be too jarring -- and it's a worthy sacrifice for having text you can actually read.

Well I don't know if it works, special caracters don't show up. I used to have strange caracters before now I just have a blank space. For the color it's either the same or the difference is almost invisible. As for the ESC menu I still don't have it appearing so it's definetly connected to the languange changement.

Well I don't know if it works, special caracters don't show up. I used to have strange caracters before now I just have a blank space.
Ah, I know what the problem is. The earlier, TEHO version of the code doesn't recognise the special characters by their ASCII number -- so now it doesn't know what graphic to display in their place. I'll upload a new version of the 'fonts.ini' file for you shortly, and this time it should work as expected.

As for the ESC menu I still don't have it appearing so it's definetly connected to the languange changement.
We'll need to tackle this separately. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chip in. At this point I'm unsure why the pause menu is not showing -- this is something TEHO- specific, likely.

(Falcors, I'll be frank, FYI: no thank-yous and no interest/response in the interim equals no work from me to help you. My time and resources are limited, and I'm not your slave. If you only care about what I produce for you, you won't get it.)

We'll need to tackle this separately. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chip in. At this point I'm unsure why the pause menu is not showing -- this is something TEHO- specific, likely.
Since no-one seems to have any suggestions, I recommend you grep/search for the ESC keybinding in the code, see what function it links to, and use the function's name for your next search, etc., until you find the language segment that's missing a translation and causing the menu to disappear.

It would have been helpful if you had saved (backed up) the contents of the 'language.ini' file before overwriting them, or answered my question. As it is, you've left me with absolutely no potential clue as to why the pause menu has disappeared, so I can't help you with this problem.

Last edited:
Back