• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Let's Play Age Of Pirates 2: Gentlemen of Fortune

J2JonJeremy

Landlubber
Hi all!

I've been a long time lurker but recently registered on the forums because I wanted to share something. I make LPs on Youtube and I've been following the Gentlemen of Fortune mod on and off for some time. Recently, I've decided that I'm ready to take on the challenge of recording a full series of this game and have just launched its introduction.

I've given credit to the PiratesAhoy community for a fantastic mod and I would love it if any members here would assist me in my endeavors by following along and giving me advice/tips along the way. I'm not great at the game, hell, I'd barely call myself adequate. :)

You can find the first video introducing the series here:

And you can find my channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/J2JonJeremy

Thanks all!

And we've gotten our adventure underway! The first episode is primarily an introduction to the game, an overview of character sheet and the beginning of Peter Blood's prologue. You can catch the video over on the channel. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/j2jonjeremy

I subscribed to you yesterday when I found this thread, Even watched a little of your old Crusader Kings II series when doing some other work. I'll be sure to be following you on this and watching a few more of your things!

Thanks very much, Luke! I'm always looking for advice on how best to maximize fun for this series so if anyone has any tips feel free to share. :)

Thanks very much, Luke! I'm always looking for advice on how best to maximize fun for this series so if anyone has any tips feel free to share. :)

It would be a dramatic improvement if you modify the aspect ratio for proper viewing.
You can easily bring this game up to modern HD resolution standards, and not make the view window so stretched.
It does not look like your are using 1920X1080, more like a default 4:3 resolution, most likely 1280X1024 from the default game options.

The simple way to due this is to override the resolution settings in the engine.ini, set full_screen = 0, and modify screen_y to a higher vertical value above whatever the current setting.

My recommendation for you for recording is the following for the first four basic settings:
full_screen = 0
NOTE: You cannot ALT+TAB to stop recording, or you will crash your game, so finish playing first.
PostProcess = 0
screen_x = 1920
screen_y = 1080

AND one more:

max_fps = 60

You actually can change the vertical setting to a resolution higher than your screen resolution, and it straightens out the vert- quite well, say screen_y = 1280 or higher if it looks best.

Try it out!
You can always reduce the video size for uploading if required.

Its a hidden trick based on the Storm Engine 2.8, and you can do a lot of things to override the original developers settings without causing game problems.

The GUI interface still has resolution limitations however without a complete overhaul as everything is scaled from 800X600 resolution on the font.ini and other files.
Not recommended to mess with these settings unless you understand the game engine and its use of texture files, because it can make the game completely unplayable.

Narration was entertaining, keep it up with the different voices.

Last edited:
Recurring game quotes from YOUTUBE Episode 3 - "The Indiana Jones Maneuver"

1) "You sonnah a...."
2) "God dammit!"
3) "The end is near...I can feel it"
4) "I won't last...much longer..."

LMFAO
"(This game)..is draining the last of my strength".

I am not a sadist, but I can't help but laugh because I remember the first time I ever played the Akella series of games over 10 years ago, and had the same reaction (WTF?) when it dropped back to the main game screen after dying.

Funny stuff.

I cannot wait to see him try the end of the Peter Blood Prologue, and start keyboard banging.
This is going to be really good.

Last edited:
Yes I watched the episodes so far and like them, hope some more episodes will be uploaded sometime this week or next. Hope your swordplay improves now after you read my reply on your video.;)

Best quote from Epsisode IV - "Glitches Don't Stop Pirates"

"A good whore brings a lot of joy, let me tell you."

Let the lack of "hand holding" in quests and gameplay logic frustration begin!
Drum roll please....

Boy, I still love watching other people play this game for the surprises and laughs.

I CANNOT believe that the Newtonian (Galileo) spyglass was still set to appear as loot on corpses.
According to the GOF 2.0 item files the rarity is ridiculously low, itm.Solder_o.rare = 0.0001 (0.01%)
This item must have been placed in the encounter file for the "Arms of Freedom" quest, which I don't remember having been coded that way.

Last edited:
Best quote from Episode 5 - ContentID Don't Stop Pirates

"I love the smell of death in the evening".

Yep, the head banging has finally started.

Death comes quickly to the unprepared, because people used to playing games expecting to cut down soldiers like bundles of wheat are quite surprised by this game.
J2JonJeremey got his butt handed to him today.
Still funny however, as his cries of "help me" are heard across the gaming world...

Last edited:
Is it "Game Over" already? Well, that's a bit quick! :shock

(Maybe there's time now for a PotC: New Horizons one? Eh? How about it? :razz )

Is it "Game Over" already? Well, that's a bit quick! :shock

(Maybe there's time now for a PotC: New Horizons one? Eh? How about it? :razz )

Nah, he is just doing theatrics for extended gameplay, all sorts of people are screaming "you should have done this", which is cringing to watch someone struggle.
He does not want to look up the answers which is good, to keep the surprises intact.

I am sure he will do a few more videos after the Peter Blood Prologue.

I actually would like to see someone get to the Royale Brig Queen and Danielle Sheppard quest (Enchanted City).
There are just too many quests that have never been properly documented on video because they take SO long to finish.
MK did some snips for Blue Bird, Teno, and part of the Sheppard quest but everything is a bit scattergunned.
To my knowledge no one ever actually did the CoAS quest fully on video.
I only know of one set of videos that ever finished POTC New Horizons storyline for Jack Sparrow, which was better to watch than even play.

Now if we can ever get POTEHO in English, I might even do a Let's Play video series on that game myself.
I just don't feel like translating Russian simultaneously to an English speaking audience while I play because that is HARD.

I only know of one set of videos that ever finished POTC New Horizons storyline for Jack Sparrow, which was better to watch than even play.
Indeed, I saw that one too. Added it to our YouTube channel too, of course.
Quite funny, especially the time the poor guy decided to try out DirectSail and immediately hit a mine. :facepalm
I'd quite like to see a Let's Play for Build 14 Beta 3 though. Things have VASTLY improved since that time.

Posturing thoughts from Episode 6 - First Boarding

Brave Sir Jon ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Jon turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,

Bravest of the brave, Sir Jon!

A significant visible reduction in overall game difficulty this episode....
He could have revenged someone using the "Indiana Jones Maneuver".

Back