• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed levelling messed up

Playing the 18th January version with 24th January zip update, I've finally advanced the "Ardent" storyline to where you get a (very small) ship and put to sea. Direct-sailing from Havana to Santiago takes several days and in previous versions would have earned me a good bit of experience, specifically in "Navigation". In this version I got a grand total of 0. Also, failing to open chests used to earn me a bit of "Luck", now it doesn't.

This is at "Sea Dog" level.

This is odd. I restarted at Cartagena docks and this time set the difficulty to swashbuckler. Went to the shipyard and while there was nothing worth buying I did repair my ships.

Wham!! It happened again! No crash this time so I'm keeping the ranks. Sniff But I lost that ship.
POTC4 2016-01-28 00-56-25-17.jpg POTC4 2016-01-28 00-57-00-30.jpg POTC4 2016-01-28 00-57-10-02.jpg POTC4 2016-01-28 00-57-13-52.jpg POTC4 2016-01-28 00-57-16-85.jpg

@Grey Roger If it is happening to you too then maybe it is a global problem.

Guys please provide savegame or better error logs with the debug toggles enabled .... else I really have no use for this information unless you give me a specific repeatable set of action I can do....

Found a problem where XP on sea was indeed not calculated.
This should at least fix that problem.
Place this file in:
..\PROGRAM\Characters

Please keep me informed, I'm now also playing with a character and probably going to keep doing so today to test if I see anything more interesting pop up.
I started on a free play jean lafitte with level sea dog to test this.

Attachments

• Leveling.c
    57.4 KB · Views: 145
Here is a save. Since it happened to me two times in a row it should happen to others as well.

Attachments

• -=Player=- New Granada. Cartagena port. October 17th, 1691.7z
    668.1 KB · Views: 103
Here is a save. Since it happened to me two times in a row it should happen to others as well.
So what do I need to do?
And what does happen for you?
And what do you expect to happen instead?

Has anyone tried the new Levis Fixes yet?
Does Leveling behave itself more reasonable now again?

maybe not exactly related, and this was before any of the fixes were reasled for Beta 4, but (and i have mentioned this in other threads so sorry for repeating it!) at game start i left Speightstown as either level 2 or 3 (due to trading/fixing ship and a fight or two) and by the time i arrived at Jamaica i was level 8, so that was 5 levels just from sailing that one trip (in direct sail mode).

This was just the default Beta 4, no patches/fixes added at that time, but as it relates to XP i thought it worth mentioning. In general, aside from the isues with Officers not getting shared XP etc, i would say the amount of XP given is currently too high, but then i ALWAYS say this about near every build since build 12....But i'm not wrong either! ;)

So once we have fixed it in Beta 4 (cause it (XP, shared XP etc) seems to be working fine in my Beta 3.4 version!) we may need to look at some balance to the pace of XP gain?

This was just the default Beta 4, no patches/fixes added at that time, but as it relates to XP i thought it worth mentioning. In general, aside from the isues with Officers not getting shared XP etc, i would say the amount of XP given is currently too high, but then i ALWAYS say this about near every build since build 12....But i'm not wrong either! ;)

So once we have fixed it in Beta 4 (cause it (XP, shared XP etc) seems to be working fine in my Beta 3.4 version!) we may need to look at some balance to the pace of XP gain?
I know @Levis has been trying to balance it already, but that is a tough nut to crack. Player feedback like yours is definitely a great help on that. :onya

1.5 weeks ago or so, he decreased the numbers so skills should progress slower.
But then @Hylie Pistof playing on Swashbuckler mode was getting hardly any experience anymore at all.
Which is a bit of the other extreme. :facepalm

I know @Levis has been trying to balance it already, but that is a tough nut to crack. Player feedback like yours is definitely a great help on that. :onya

1.5 weeks ago or so, he decreased the numbers so skills should progress slower.
But then @Hylie Pistof playing on Swashbuckler mode was getting hardly any experience anymore at all.
Which is a bit of the other extreme. :facepalm
The numbers are still lowered in my latest fixes. He wasn't gaining xp due to a bug.
With the new leveling system it's easy to balance it, but now we need to find the right balance.

As of 6th February update:

Skills are now going up with use. I've still to keep a game going long enough to see if they're going up at a reasonable rate. Probably not - starting "Ardent", progressing through several storyline fights, plus some random thugs and highwaymen, plus a raid on Port Royal dungeon, I still haven't earned a level in Melee. Ardent starts at Melee 2 and by this point I'm most of the way to Melee 3.

Officers still don't earn Melee skill, the exception being one who is a Fighter ("RANDCHAR") type. I'm fairly sure they aren't even earning Melee XP for their own kills - it's easy for them to kill an enemy when they're all carrying muskets capable of killing an enemy with one shot. The only time the other two officers get any Melee XP is when, having disabled the level 10 requirement for "Shared Experience", I acquire the perk, then they get shared XP from my kills.

Skills are now going up with use. I've still to keep a game going long enough to see if they're going up at a reasonable rate. Probably not - starting "Ardent", progressing through several storyline fights, plus some random thugs and highwaymen, plus a raid on Port Royal dungeon, I still haven't earned a level in Melee. Ardent starts at Melee 2 and by this point I'm most of the way to Melee 3.
What difficulty level are you on? Can you try switching to the lowest difficulty and see if you observe the same?

Officers still don't earn Melee skill, the exception being one who is a Fighter ("RANDCHAR") type. I'm fairly sure they aren't even earning Melee XP for their own kills - it's easy for them to kill an enemy when they're all carrying muskets capable of killing an enemy with one shot. The only time the other two officers get any Melee XP is when, having disabled the level 10 requirement for "Shared Experience", I acquire the perk, then they get shared XP from my kills.
That does sound dodgy; they should at least be getting their OWN Fencing experience even without Shared XP!
Where is @Levis when you need him....? :rolleyes:

Back