• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Lineship (Old Black Pearl) Cannon Upgrade (PotC)

The Nameless Pirate

Just a pirate
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Public Relations
I am going to add better looking cannons to the "Lineship1" and "Lineship47" models.

Before I really get started though, I need to open the model in the TOOL.
But as is the case with some models I can't open it with it.

And if I export it as an OBJ file I get this:
bp.png

So is there a way to open it in TOOL?
A "deck" locator had been added to the model once; so I suppose someone opened the model once.

Edit: Job's done, you can download it from here.

Last edited:
This thread talks about updates to .net framework causing the problem.

“Model could not be read” bug in “Tool”

I have an old XP machine and although I no longer use it connected to the outside world I didn't want to downgrade its .net with the uncertainty of upgrading again without connecting online. However I also have an old millenium laptop (hey I even have win 95 and 98 on plug in drives for it but they don't support usb) to which I took the current lineship1.gm and tool. I had to download .net framework 1.1 (there is a link in the help file - which gives an self-installer) for tool to work on Millenium but it then loaded the gm and I could read the locators.

So in summary confirmation that Tool will still read that model (and presumably the others that it refuses) on an old enough configuration. The thread also suggest a virtual machine with xp and net 1.1.

Thank you very much @pedrwyth! :cheers:bow

Seems there is hope after all, now to find Windows XP...

Edit: Windows XP installed on VirtualBox, hopefully I will get to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Got it - thanks! :cheers

I did a few quick test runs on both ships, partly to inspect the new guns for myself but mainly to make sure that the new versions of "Lineship1.gm" and "Lineship47.gm" did not cause any problems such as beeps, incorrect lighting, or anything untoward in "system.log". Both ships passed with flying colours and are going into the next update.

I learned from my mistake with the "Frigate_Sat" when you pointed it out.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work. When I tried putting your files into the game and loaded up my savegame with the Mefisto, the game beeped and "system.log" contained this:
Code:
SHIP: Up trace error, ship Frigate_sat
SHIP: Down trace error, ship Frigate_sat
I've seen this before, earlier in this thread when I was re-rigging "Schooner2":
Fix in Progress - Repairing Bad Ropes

In this case, the problem is likely to have been caused by adding new components to the base "Frigate_sat.gm" model using TOOL. Adding locators is fine, otherwise a lot of my re-rigging work wouldn't work; but adding or removing components with "Edit Scene" seems not to work, which is probably why those ships which have extra details added have them in a separate "deck.gm" file. "Frigate_sat" has one, containing the usual wheel, bell, capstan and anchors, and it's also where I added the swivel guns.

At first I thought that you'd need to add the cannons to "Frigate_sat_deck.gm", which would be a major pain because you can't use GM Viewer to see where they are relative to the rest of the ship. But then a really simple solution occurred to me. I used TOOL to edit your "Frigate_sat.gm", removed the hull and deck components to leave only the new guns, removed all the locators, and saved the result as "Frigate_sat_guns.gm". Then all I had to do was add a "geometry" locator to my "Frigate_sat.gm" to reference "guns". The result worked perfectly - nice guns, no beeps, no errors in "system.log".

So thank you. ;) :cheers

Back