• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help List of event explanations?

ExtincE

Sailor Apprentice
Hi guys,

Another question from me, again something I can't seem to find documentation of :(

There's a lot of events in the game like: hurricane struck X, pirates attacked Y, natives attacked Z, expedition returns to bla, gold has been found on .. malaria struck Zimbabwe and so on, but what do they mean?

Coast guard patrols have been increased/decreased and new settlers arrived in Jamaica are pretty self explanatory.. but the rest? Can I read up on this anywhere? Wiki has zero mention of it :(

Cheers
ExtincE

See PROGRAM\Towns\Events.c .
This is definitely a feature that could be expanded upon. If anyone would feel so inclined. :cheeky

So they positively or negatively affect the economy of the struck island/town.. but what do these things mean? Whats the effect of an improved / degraded economy?

No idea. Possibly they affect the amount of gold the town has, which means how much gold you'll get if you raid the town. But that's just a guess based on no experience or code checking. It may be that they're just to put something into the news and have no effect at all. :shrug

It may be that they're just to put something into the news and have no effect at all. :shrug
Well, they do have an actual effect of some kind.
But I can't really think how it would actually impact the game very much.
Which is a shame, because such features are a lot cooler when they do something for the gameplay too.

They may be intended to replicate similar events in Sid Meier's "Pirates!". If I remember correctly (which is not guaranteed!) they did indeed affect the amount of gold in a town, and therefore the amount you'd get if you raided the town. If ever there's a time when I have nothing better to do, I might try to arrange that the news also mentions when pirates attack a town and you're the pirate that did it, so that at least you get your name in the newspaper. :aar

The coastguard event is probably the only significant one, and then only if you're a career smuggler.

Huh! I'm surprised that no one knows how the economy works.

When bad things happen like a hurricane, pirate attack, slave revolt, etc. the colony is wiped out and has little trade goods or gold. There was a time when if too many bad things happened to a colony it would fail and have few trade goods and negative money. Pieter fixed that a few years ago so that if a colony sank too low for too long it will reset.

Likewise when an expedition returns or gold is found the economy gets pumped up and the colony is rich for a while. That means you will be wanting to get over there soonest.

How are such events created? Because there's a big one which ought to happen in 1692:
1692 Jamaica earthquake - Wikipedia
PROGRAM\Towns\Towntable.c:
Code:
  // Random Town Events
    random = rand(RANDOM_TOWN_EVENT_PROBABILITY);
    if(random == RANDOM_TOWN_EVENT_PROBABILITY) LaunchRandomTownEvent(ctown);
They're completely random at the moment, but in theory there must be a way to have scheduled ones too.
Would be cool! :cheers

Back