• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm Looting fails

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
You beat them in a fair fight, and when you go to loot the corpse you can see what they have but you can't take it. Pretty rare and hasn't happened for a while but.....

Attachments

• -=Player=- La Grenade.rar
    620.8 KB · Views: 107
  • compile.log
    179 KB · Views: 118
  • error.log
    498 bytes · Views: 114
What exactly are the items you cannot take?
Or could it be any and all of them?

What exactly are the items you cannot take?
Or could it be any and all of them?

I cannot take any items from a corpse, or a chest or move items from my inventory. This is odd and I have not been able to get it unstuck. I am on Le Greande . Hopefully it is location specific. I would hate to have to start a new game.

You got this with every corpse?

Everything worked fine until i killed these guys and now now individual transfers seem to be working.
But is it only with these guys or do you have the problem with other corpses too you kill afterwards?

How much stuff do you already have? There's an upper limit on how many different items you can carry. It's quite generous but if you have lots of things, e.g. a collection of weapons of every quality level ("worn", "average", "good" etc.) plus all the maps and all the books for skills and perk unlocks, you may run into it. In that case you'll be able to pick up more of what you already have (e.g. if you already have some "average" cutlasses and the corpse has one, you'll be able to take it) but you won't be able to take anything new (if you don't already have a "good" cutlass and he has one, you won't be able to take it). You also can't take money from a corpse if you have too many different items, even though you're already carrying some. (You auto-loot money from anyone you kill yourself, but if one of your crew killed him for you, you won't be able to take his money.)

One way to check if this is the problem is, in the transfer screen, give the corpse your entire stock of one item, e.g. all your "average" cutlasses if you have them. Then see if you can pick up something else - if so, you are indeed carrying too much stuff, so dump the least valuable item onto the corpse, grab something more valuable, and sell some of your junk or dump it in your ship's locker at the next opportunity!

Thanks @Grey Roger; that might explain it.

It should be noted though that this is not because of any deliberate limitations imposed,
but probably a game engine limitation where it simply cannot handle "too much".

Well this is really interesting. And, in this save, I not only could not exchange things in the inventory, I couldn't even open the inventory on my F2 screen. It turned out I couldn't open any tab on the F2 screen. Also no error message. Now, I went to a street vendor that worked fine I sold some stuff and full function was restored to the F2 screen.

Attachments

• -=Player=- La Grenade.rar
    624.3 KB · Views: 97
  • compile.log
    6.1 KB · Views: 102
So sounds to me like you just hit a limitation....

Well I was wrong. I went back and did it again and the F2 function was not restored. So still broken. And again why the limitation now when I have far fewer items than I usually carry? And why would such limitation block all F2 function? I am pretty sure it is more than an inventory limitation.

Well I was wrong. I went back and did it again and the F2 function was not restored. So still broken. And again why the limitation now when I have far fewer items than I usually carry? And why would such limitation block all F2 function? I am pretty sure it is more than an inventory limitation.
Is compile.log all you get? With behaviour THAT crazy, I'd expect some notes in system.log and probably some error.log stuff too.

This is definitely something different, then. If you've hit the limit of maximum item types, it shouldn't affect F2. In fact, F2 can lead to the inventory, where you'll realise you have too much stuff because it takes ages to get to the end of the list, not because the game has slowed down but because you have so much stuff to scroll through.

Try deleting the file "options". That sometimes gets corrupted, causing all sorts of weird effects. You'll need to put back any preferences you changed, of course, as they're stored in "options". But that might cure this sort of weirdness.

@Pieter system log is attached

@Grey Roger Options file was empty deleted it so we'll see

Attachments

• system.log
    1.4 KB · Views: 105
Ok,

Deleting the options file did not fix it. I went back to an earlier save on Martinique and the F2 screen worked fine. So, something occurred on Le Genade to screw this up. I think it is pretty far fetched but could this be location specific? The only thing I did out of the ordinary was complete the gunsmith quest.

Back