• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Lost cannons

Skyworm

Privateer
Storm Modder
Hello,

something strange happened to me: I lost cannons.

I am aware that one can loose a cannon during battle, and this is precisely what happened. I sail a 6th rate frigate with 20 cannons, 10 on each broadside. And I have a savegame where she has 20 cannons.

Now, I did a lot of see battles close to an enemy island. I lost cannons in battle, but did repairs only with planks and sail and with that quick repair skill. I didn't care about the lost cannons, because it seemed logical that they were not replaced by this.

But now the problem is ... I am now at the shipwright, and he, too can not restore my lost cannons. In the meantime, my 6th rate frigate is down to 16 cannons, 8 on each side, which is a bit undergunned for a frigate.

Is this a known bug, or is there some trick how to fix that?

Thanks!

Replying myself ... it seems to be a bug of some sort.

Ok, the situation was ... during battles, my cannons were down from 10/10 to 10/8.

Then I went to the shipwright. And after repairing the ship (completely), ist was down to 8/8. The full 10 cannons broadside was sort of downgraded to the smaller and damages 8 cannons broadside for some reason.
I tried to replace cannons manually, but I was not able to restore the missing 2 cannons on starboard.
Instead I was able to sell 2 cannons on port, and after doing that, it was not possible to get them back. This action, too reduced my broadside from 10 to 8.

Strange, isn't it?

Exactly which 6th rate frigate are you sailing, and which 6th rate frigate was it when you acquired it? Did you repaint it?
Both the Neptunus and the Postillionen are 6th rate frigates, but one has 16 guns and the other has 20.

Erm ... how do I tell which I got? They are all called 6th rate frigates ... but yes, I repainted it. So, most likely this is what happened.

I just looked into the game, and into an old savegame.
It is exactly what happened.
The 6th rate I captured was not the Neptunus.
And I repainted it to look like the Neptunus.

Arrghs, and you're right. I just repainted them and counted guns. The Neptunus design indeed only has 8 each braodside, while the other has 10. It seems I' ll have to make decision between a more beautiful ship on one hand and more firepower on the other hand.

Great thanks!

There are also other differences like crew size and cargo size to think about. It might be best to sell that one and buy/ capture another one.

You're quite right that 16 guns is too few for a frigate. For the next update, the Neptunus class is renamed to "Sloop-of-War", and repainting them to Postillionen frigates is disabled, which should prevent the stats issue from happening again. :onya

Cheers gentlemen,

thanks for your thoughts.

@Hylie:
I didn't even recognize the differences in guns, and I admit that I have an even lesser eye on crew numbers.
The tricky part with the guns is, that they are not disabled or skipped with repainting, they are still there and they fire, too. But when you then repair the ship, they are gone. This is why I didn't even recognize it earlier.

@Armada:
Yeah, 16 guns is way few for a frigate. On the other hand, I understand that these are very old frigates, and it seems logical to me that the number (and caliber) of cannons advanced over time. So maybe those early frigates in 17th century were lesser armed than the later generations. And even in one epoche armament can greatly differ ... as the comparison between typical nelsonic frigates and their newly built US counterparts show.
In short ... I can live with a 16 guns ship called frigate. At least the caliber is bigger than that of comparable schooners or sloops.

I think the name change is necessary to help differentiate between the Neptunus and Postillionen classes, if nothing else.
I had changed it a few days before this thread anyway, along with several other stats and name adjustments.

Yep. That's all included in my game version now, so it'll make it into the next Build update. So: Problem solved.

Interesting that the cannons didn't change upon repainting, but only when repairing later.
Makes sense in a way though; repainting was never coded to swap between ship types altogether.
Although, if we'd make it use the GiveShip2Character function instead, it might work better for that.
Though that might cause unintentional side effects of its own, such as free instant repairs.
Repainting just works better when the ships are exactly the same, I think. :shrug

That's how I understood "repainting", to be honest. To paint the ship in another color, not to make major changes like changing the riggimg, or the number of cannons. But oh well, now I know. It was just confusing ... I really puzzled where I did loose my cannons. ;-)

The point is that each paint scheme is its own ship. So "repainting" in reality is "ship model swapping".
That's the only way that it could be coded in this game engine.

Back