• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low fps in crowded areas

El--5

Landlubber
Hey all,

first of all, this is a fantastic mod, I'm really enjoying it!

I'm running this on a 2,4 Ghz dual core imac (bootcamp win xp), 4g of ram and a Ati radeon HD2400 128mb

The game runs well, but in the larger cities or places with a lot of people it slows down to the point of becoming unplayable. The graphic card is probably the bottleneck, so I was wondering if there's a stripped down build, or anything I can tweak to make it playable.. I also noticed that reducing the texture quality in the option menu doesn't make a difference, changing the resolution also doesn't seem to affect fps..

cheers!

Which modpack version are you using?

I know the game tends to "stutter" when you pass over corpses, but otherwise I never heard of any performance issues with lots of characters.

I'm using the New Horizons Build 14 beta 2.5...

My guess is that it's related to the small amount of memory my graphics cards has.. so reducing texture size would probably help, or viewing distance if that's an option..?

I've just tried build 13, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, on sea fps is even lower then with build 14..

edit:

back to build 14, did some testing with the port area of Port Royale (jamaica). By day the fps is low, by night it's smooth, so then the fps-hit is due to the amount of characters in plain view..

Yes, the number of NPCs does make a very large difference to FPS. I have two good video cards and still see frame rate drops in the ports, especially after a fight. You simply need better hardware.
Also, I have heard that Bootcamp and Wine cause an overall performance loss.

Back