• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Make *.col files in NH

The TOOL was made by a community member here and was never fully finished.
The Loc Lighter in the game was made by the original developers.
When the TOOL was written here, I don't think anyone knew that Loc Lighter was there and working.

Yes locator files don't normally need COL files. But I have seen some cases where they have attached some 3D parts to it.

A couple of days did not come here, and you already have a lot.
Let me clarify the situation.
I have a Code in the script that the old files of light for POTC to COAS.
I do not really like lighting in COAS, I like light in POTC.
There was a desire to bring this tavern in order and make it light in POTC style
But in the "New Horizons", I could not normally switch between the weather.
So I decided to make the light in the usual style COAS.
The third door came in handy, but when my friend added candles, he noticed that locators 1 and 2 doors are better to swap places.
I really want to see what the location from COAS looks like with the light from POTC.

Yes locator files don't normally need COL files. But I have seen some cases where they have attached some 3D parts to it.

If you record a video about how you create light files in the tool, I will be very grateful.

Sorry I don't know how to make a video but I could edit/redo my post #10 here in this thread with some pictures.
I'm sure that would be enough.

Okay I try with pictures the sequence in the TOOL to make COL-files:

1 open the model which needs COL files in the TOOL
2 Scene/Edit scene
1 - 2.jpg

3 Light/Make.COL file/with fixed color
3.jpg

4 replace the * in the name in the bottom window with DAY1/save
4.jpg

5 define (something) colors >>
5.jpg

6 change only light or lighting (left bottom window) to 83 for ex.
6.jpg

7 add to (something) colors (bottom button)
7.jpg

8 a small square to the left with your color appears/press it/ok
8.jpg

repeat step 3 - 8 for the other 3 needed COL files.

And again here are the values I use:
For COAS/AOP :
DAY1 40
EVENING3 42
MORNING1 23
NIGHT1 17

For original POTC:
DAY1 83
EVENING3 42
MORNING1 42
NIGHT1 17

I don't know whether it's "tavern_1" in particular or the LocLighter tool in general which is weird. But lighting in "tavern_1" certainly does weird things. After a lot of trial and error - that is, a lot of trial and a lot of error - I reached the following conclusion:

Night: 22:00 - 05:59: controlled by "tavern_1_NIGHT1.COL"
Morning: 06:00 - 09:59: controlled by "tavern_1_EVENING3.COL"
Day: 10:00 - 17:59: controlled by "tavern_1_DAY1.COL"
Early evening: 18:00 - 19:59: controlled by "tavern_1_DAY1.COL" but with evening background outside the windows
Late evening: 20:00 - 21:59: controlled by "tavern_1_MORNING1.COL"

That's not a mistake, or at least, not on my part. Morning is controlled by the "EVENING3" file. I found this when I tried to set morning lighting and LocLighter saved it as "tavern_1_EVENING3.COL". If I renamed it to "tavern_1_MORNING1.COL" and then put back the original "tavern_1_EVENING3.COL", morning lighting was back to the old scheme. If I left the file as "tavern_1_EVENING3.COL", the new morning lighting scheme was applied. And it took me some time to figure out that evening was divided into two halves. Also, LocLighter messed up the background files, leaving the outside looking completely black. Deleting the new files and putting back the whole original "BACK" folder restored the views outside the windows.

The results:
Late evening, old vs. new:
tavern1_late_evening_old.jpg tavern1_late_evening_new.jpg

Night, old vs. new:
tavern_1_night_old.jpg tavern_1_night_new1.jpg tavern_1_night_new2.jpg

Morning, old vs. new:
tavern_1_morning_old.jpg tavern_1_morning_new.jpg

That does look a whole lot better! :onya

That's not a mistake, or at least, not on my part. Morning is controlled by the "EVENING3" file.
It is indeed like that; for all locations, believe it or not. I can't remember why, but there is some sort of reason for it.
If I recall, at some point in the past, somebody (@shazbot85, formerly known as "Maturin"?) rewrote the weather system.
At that point, also the use of the lighting files changed so that less files (only 4) were used than in the unmodded game.

Back