• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

many new ship plans/suggestions

Captain Armstrong

Shipbuilding Coordinator
Storm Modder
Hello everyone , I am fairly new to the forum , and I hope this is the best place to post this sort of thing.
I used to play build 13 a few years ago and was amazed when I looked at the screens for the ships that have made it into the mod since (or unfortunately, almost made it in some cases.) but anyways I have a large amount ship plans mostly from the late 1700s to early 1800s. I have already uploaded a few to the FTP for the discussion in this thread http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17443-blueprints/ I scanned some more this morning, and thought I would suggest a few of them as potential new projects. I am no modeler myself, but hopefully someone can use these plans! :doff
So here is how my plans are organized. First go to the FTP, then find the Capt. Armstrong directory, there will be a few plans in this main section (the uss congress, united states, pensylvania(136 guns), and a ‘miscellaneous’ folder) see the other thread for details on these plans. there will also be a 'new plans’ directory, Open this. From here, there should be the following categories
or you can just use this link: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Capt%20Armstrong%20plans_/

WARNING: LONG POST

SHIPS OF THE LINE
Only one plan in here, sorry I don’t have many for these (there are 2 mor american ones in my main directory though). This ship Is the HMS Tonnant, of 80 guns. She was built by the French in 1789 and was captured by the British at the battle of the Nile in 1798. Her first British captain wasnone other than Sir Edward Pellew of Hornblower fame, and the Tonnant made several appearances later in the Hornblower TV series. She was also the British flagship off the American coast during the war of 1812, and was in general a favorite command because she was faster than most other ships of the line (80s were fairly rare and were longer than the more common 74s, and length usually=speed). So yea pretty awesome ship if you ask me called ‘that great ship of all ships’ by an officer that served on her, and was powerful, with 32-pounder guns on the lower deck, 32 x 18-pounder guns on the upper deck, 2 x 18-pounder guns + 14 x 32-pounder carronades on the quarterdeck, and 4 x 32-pounder carronades on the forecastle.

FRIGATES
* the rated guns of each ship is written in their titles, while the number of guns they actually carried is in parenthesis, frigates usually carried about 8 guns more than their rate once carronades had been invented.
40 gun frigates- so these are not all exactly 40 gun frigates, but they are in my opinion, the most amazingly cool looking of the frigates. They were also all historically very good sailers. Heres a little summary/profile of each:

HMS Sybille, 38 guns: built by the French in 1792, she was captured by the British in 1794. She was a big frigate for her time, and very well designed. She could make 13 knots, turned easily, was an easy ship in seas and in general an all-round excellent frigate. She served the Royal navy for many years, and was a favorite ship. good representation of a 38 gun frigate(the most common type in napoleonic times) Battery: 28xlong 18 pdrs,18-20 9pdr long guns or 32pdr carronnades

HMS Revolutionnaire, 40 guns: F5852-003.jpg * note: I have modelled this ship, working on getting her ingame A very large frigate for her time and extremely fast. Built by the French in 1794, she was captured by the British in the same year. She once averaged 13.5 knots over several hours, chasing and catching one of the fastest French privateers ever! (and breaking the speed record) Again a near perfect ship in sailing qualities, except she couldn’t store enough for the royal navy’s standards, because of her long and low hull. She also served in Sir Edward Pellew’s squadron at the same time as Hornblower would have been on the Indefatigable. She was another favorite and had a fairly long life, lasting until 1822. There are also some pictures of a really nice model of her in her ‘reference’ folder (right next to the plans on the FTP) from the national maritime museum in Greenwich . Battery: Upper deck: 28 x 18-pounder guns
Quarterdeck: 8 x 9-pounder guns + 6 x 32-pounder carronades
Forecastle: 2 x 9-pounder guns + 2 x 32-pounder carrondes

HMS Endymion, pretty_shure_Endymion_model.jpg40 guns: arguably the fastest and finest frigate in the royal navy (I know I said similar things about the 1st 2 frigates, but this one really was the best! She even caught the USS president, the fastest and finest American frigate, and sister ship to the constitution.) Built in 1797 to the lines of a French prize, she was nearly as perfect a ship as possible, and built to stronger English standards than the ship she was based on. She made 14 knots at times, and was still a benchmark for sailing performance to the 1840s. During the war of 1812, the British made some more frigates to her design to fight the American 44s like constitution. She wasn’t broken up until 1860(same year HMS Warrior was launched) when she was very obsolete.
Battery: 26 × long 24-pounders(or really long 18s when the 24pdrs weren’t needed)
Quarter deck:
16 × 32-pounder carronades
Forecastle:
2 × 9-pounder
4 × 32-pounder carronades

The other frigates should be organized into categories based on their gun rating.(ie 38,36,34,&32), and were originally built for the Spanish, American, British, and French navies.Most of the frigates in these plans were origanally built for navies other than the RN, In fact all the frigates are french- built, except the Mohensa( spanish); Essex& Philidelphia(american); and the british-built Endymion and Hyperion(32),which were both based off of french ships anyway, the Hyperion off of La Belle Poulle of 1765: http://modelisme.arsenal.free.fr/artdumodelisme/La%20Belle%20Poule/indexgb.html

Some other notable frigates In this folder are:

The USS Essex(32), which nearly destroyed British whaling and trade in the pacific ocean during the war of 1812. She was also the basis for the USS Norfolk in The Aubrey/Maturin book the far side of the world, which in turn was the basis for the Acheron in the master & commander movie (at least in role, I think the Acheron herself was modeled after the USS constitution)

HMS Nereide(36) had an Appearance in the Aubrey series too, the Mauritius command I think.

SHIP SLOOPS & 6th RATES
There are a ton of these, I personally think they are all pretty nice looking ships, and with the stock ship sloop of war being a little…well it could be improved upon( at least with these ships :dance ), any modelers that feel up to it now have plenty to choose from! :doff The 6th rates ( in-between a frigate and a sloop, like HMS surprise) are the 20 gun ship of 1799, the USS (ex-HMS) Cyane, (captured by The USS constitution) and the HMS Comet, which was built to be a sort of ...cruise missile…of its day, to be used as a 6th rate until a fire ship was needed to burn a few important, expensive, enemy line ships at anchor, when she would have been unloaded of supplies & guns &crew etc, had her built in air ducts opened (to make the fire bigger :woot ) and sent towards the enemy ships aflame! Naturally she was fast and a good sailer, though as far as I know all of the sloops and sixth rates I put in this directory were. Also includes plans of the USS Wasp, Hornet and Peacock, which were great commerce raiders during the war of 1812 against the British. There are also 2 French-built privateer ships that were captured and taken into the Royal Navy in there as well.
BRIGS
This directory includes British and American brigs, mostly from the early 1800s, with the last from 1815 The british types were buit in the hundreds, so would be perfect for standard brigs. There is an interesting 20 gun ‘corsair’ brig built by the Americans as tribute to be given to the Barbary corsairs, before they toughened up and built ships like the USS Constitution class.

OLDER SHIPS
3 small continental (made in the american colonies for Great Britain) or British (navy?) ships from the early to mid 1700s a brig, a snow, and a ketch

MISC & SMALLER SHIPS
Like the title suggests, this has some smaller ships and ‘random’ ships so I’ll list them:
Bermuda sloop: from the early-to-mid- to-late to really anytime in the 1700s
Gunboat: an American gunboat, but really could be used for any country, pirates too. :sail
Lil’ Galley: a small American galley, once again, could be used for any country
Lil’ Schooner:* note: I have started modelling this ship a small British schooner, again pretty universal, but I’m not sure the underwater fore & aft lines turned out that well :facepalm edit: found a much better plan of the same ship, put it up, should be very clear lines now :doff
Fast merchant 1798: ship with room for 18 guns on the topmost deck and a hull form in-between a warship and a merchant ship.

US Privateer Prince de Neufchatel: * note: I have modelled this ship, working on getting her ingame possibly the fastest(with an advanced two-masted topsail schooner rig), most heavily armed (20 guns), and most successful American privateer of the war of 1812. A truly amazing ship with a truly amazing captain, John Ordanaux. An interesting story about her: She was attacked by the boats of the HMS Endymion (the same one as described above w/ plans, finest frigate in the navy etc etc) and forced them to retreat to their ship while there was only 33 men on the privateer, to the British ship's several hundred. according to one of Endymion’s officers "the extraordinary feature of this affair lies in the fact that a vessel fitted out at private expense actually frustrated the utmost endeavors of an English frigate, of vastly superior force in guns and men, to capture the privateer. We lost as many men in our efforts to seize the Prince de Neufchâtel as we would have done had my ship engaged a regular man-or-war of equal force. The people in the privateer conducted their defense in the most heroic and skilful manner." So yeah, that’s a pretty beastly ship if you ask me. She was finally captured by 3 British frigates in 1814 while under a different captain, and the British made this plan.
*Note; these small ships might be a good starting point for new modelers who are just starting out, to get the basics down. they would also be useful as common coastal pirate ships to swarm anyone that got too close! :sail These gunboats usually mounted 1 or 2 long 18 or 24 pdrs, so a bunch of them could do serious damage.

Just to clarify, this is intended to be a key/guidline for modders and potential modders who want to use my plans on the FTP, with some details on my own favorites. I know it takes tons of work to model a single ship, so I apologize if I seem at all demanding, I dont mean to be

Well, if you read all that, congratulations! xD: If anyone is thinking of actually making one of these, just let me know and I can probably give you some more information about that particular ship, and I may be able to find a painting, drawing, or even sailplan to get a better Idea of appearrance

This is great; thanks!

If you want, you can put this link in your post for direct access to the file: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Capt%20Armstrong%20plans_/

If I could pick one of the above ships to put in the game, I'd choose the Endymion; certainly one of the finest Royal Navy frigates of her time!
This is the class name I gave to the British version of the Constitution model in-game, simply because the real ship was a formidable match for the US frigates.
I know we've already got more than enough RN ships in the game, but I've always had a sweet spot for British frigates... :luv

Interesting fact about the Tonnant before she fell to the British at the Nile: her captain showed unprecedented bravery, and continued to command his crew right until the end...
... even after losing BOTH his arms AND a leg from bullets and cannon fire! :shock
His last order was supposedly to nail the Tricolour to the mainmast, so it couldn't be pulled down in surrender. You've got to respect this guy's determination!

Armada: The Endymion certainly would be nice to see in game! :dance Is there a frigate model ingame inbetween the constitution and surprise in size right now? (other than the stock frigate or modified stock frigate) This inbetween range ( which the plans in the frigate folder cover) was by far the most common and widely used size of frigate. Oh and that story of the Tonnant's french captain is amazing! :shock that man had some serious guts!

I just added these frigates:

HMS Indefatigable, 44 guns. the one from hornblower that was captained by Sir Edward Pellew. unfortunately, it is only the profile plan, and the ship's lines (fore & aft view and half-breadth view) are not on there. there is a outline of her as a 64 on there though, and maybe a copy of an existing 64 gun ship model could be cut down to make a good representation?

HMS Sirius, 36 guns- a british built frigate of the 1790s. I think she appeared in the aubrey/maturin books.

HMS Hydra, 38 guns- another british built frigate of the 1790s but slightly larger than the sirius. I don't really know much about this ship's history, but I think she looks really nice :onya

The Sirius :woot

I have a model of that ship, truly a beautiful ship that was the lead ship of the first fleet to Australia

Captain Maggee, I think that unfortunately this is a different hms sirius. :facepalm you are talking about this one right? http://www.anmm.gov.au/webdata/shop/images/image_676_1.jpg according to wikipedia that hms sirus was a converted merchantman in the 1780s, and the hms sirius these plans are for was built as a frigate in 1797 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/HMS_Sirius.jpg the frigate did serve in that side of the world though, and the two ships do look fairly similar considering one was a converted merchantman and the other a frigate! :doff

so I was looking through the plans and it turns out that I have a plan for the Amelia(38) fitted as both a french ship and as the english refit her. (only the french version is up right now) the english replaced quarter galleries, headrails, moved fittings around a raised the bulwarks. I have profile and stern views, as well as deck plans for all the decks down to the store-rooms in the hold; in both english and french configurations, which is probably far to much detaiI to include ingame, but if someone was looking to create a fully detailed french and english frigate it could be done with the single hull of the Amelia and then the different fittings could be added for each one. It sounds like a lot of work I know, but less than making two completely different ships. different modellers could even work on it once the base hull is made. just thought I would let people know that, maybe save someone alot of time. :doff
* Edit*
the Amelia was also a sister ship to the Hebe a french frigate that the british captured and copied with the huge Leda class this class included the HMS shannon which captured the USS Cheasapeake in a famous frigate duel in 1813. two ships of the leda class survive to this day, the HMS Unicorn(1824), in Dundee, Scotland http://www.frigateunicorn.org/ and the HMS Trincomalee (1817) in Hartelpool, england http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/. I have personally visited the Trincomalee, which was really neat :cheeky

*Update*
I added some more frigates;
1) The HMS Amphion, 32 guns the standard british 32 gun frigate for the napoleonic/ french revolutionary wars
2) The french frigate Fidele, 38 (later HMS Laurel, 38)
3) The ex-french frigate HMS Princess Charlotte, 38 guns
4) The french frigate Virginie, 38 guns,
5) Hms Bacchante, 38 (represents the standard british Lively class frigates)

I also added some other diagrams in the misc references directory
1) a diagram of stern and head decoration of 2 ships of the hms lively class, could be very useful because many of these frigate plans do not show the end of the stern with the windows etc.
2) a timbering diagram for HMS Endymion
3) in the "masting" directory there are tables dimensions for the yards and masts of the hms endymoin and revolutionnare,( prizes masting), as well as masting tables for standard sized british 32,36, and 38 gun frigates. There is also a sailplan for a later ship of the endymion class, the spars are a little short for endymion herself, but one could use the Endymion masting table for the sizes and the sailplan for placement.

I am considering making the basic hulls of a ship of each size in delftship; amphion(32), sirius(36), sybille(38), and endymion(40) and loading them on the FTP for people to take up as projects if they want. would anyone consideri useing these for there next project? if so what formats are best? right now I can do Delftship, Gmax, Blender, wavefront file(*.obj), and DXF 3D mesh fairly easily. Oh and I already made the hull for the Endymion yesterday ;) polycount: 492 in Gmax
some pics;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/5916946298/sizes/l/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/5916946252/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/5916386399/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/5916386555/sizes/l/in/photostream/

comparison between a real-life model and mine, check out the bow, I think it is pretty spot on http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/5916397215/sizes/l/in/photostream/

any thoughts on whether I should do this for all 4? Because It would be a fair bit of work but I dont mind making them if people might use them

Back