• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Matthews Bug Finding

mcd-2003

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Hi Guys,

Well I decided to Play through and do some bug finding in Beta 2.1

Great Game and very playable. Iv actually found it quite hard finding bugs! I will keep adding to this thread as I go on. I am playing the Tales of a Sea Hawk (Nathanial Hawk)

• In Speightstown there are two guards on top of each other (one with muskets and one without)
  • There is some sort of locator issue at Sao Jorge. I was stood in the port look out to sea and a ship came sailing towards me and straight throught the centre of the island.
  • When you come to break into Raoul Rheims smuglers house the side door is locked and I cant get it open. Iv tried several different ways of activating the quest. Eventually I had to kill the guards on the front doors and go in that way.
  • Now im no ship expert at all but I found an 83 gun Pinnace-of-war with a maximum of 12lb guns? is that right?
  • the guy on the pirate dock in nevis when you ask about the history of the island says the pirates are the only ones on the island. But there not any more!
Thats it so far. I will add as I go along!

Some of your reported issues are not neccesarily considered issues, but i'll explain the best i can:

1 - this happens quite frequently when there's not enough locators to place all of the newly spawned NPC's. Thing is, It's sometimes possible to spawn so many NPC's in one place that it's not considered worth the effort to make locators for them all. It might even cause some rather bad lag if we did. Just for fun, try going to saint pierre. It's not uncommon to see a man with a dress standing in port.

2 - Not really a locator issue. It's a limitation of the ability to see ships sailing around in port. I don't think the ship AI you normally see out on the open ocean is present when you're standing on land, and there's no hitbox for any area outside the places where you can walk, so ships just move in a random direction and possibly sail through land, or each other. They and any visible yet unreachable portion of the island are purely visual.

3 - That is an issue. I can't remember if i've ever had it myself, but the quests in the original game, expecially towards the end of the main quest, have become rather buggy over time. It's still possible to finish it though.

4 - Yes, actually. The reasoning was that it's a modified merchant ship that basically got turned into a machine gun. This was an actual tactic in real life. It favors artillery numbers over power. I think either the Great Harry or the Sovereign of the Seas (the real one) used this tactic.

5 - Yeah, that needs fixing. I've been fiddling around with some of the old dialogue recently. Maybe i'll fix that as well. Hell, the trading rumors told to you by NPC's have not been changed since the stock game, nor had most of the other ones until recently.

There is nothing wrong with the part where you break into Rheims house. It works perfectly for me every TIME. TIME is very important.

There is some sort of locator issue at Sao Jorge. I was stood in the port look out to sea and a ship came sailing towards me and straight throught the centre of the island.
Never heard that before, but it could indeed happen. The ships in port mode have got NO clue that there's land to avoid.
I think locators generally have an angle though and the ships generated on them will keep sailing on the course of the locator.
That means if we would know WHICH locator is the troublesome one, we could turn it around so it DOES aim out to sea.

I think issue 1 is to do with the adding of muskets to guards. They are both static guards one with musket and one with out.

Also new major one for the list:

5. Bartolomeu o portuguese quest is bugged. No hangman is present and the charector just freezes outside the church.

6. When signing articles with England and getting to the the rank of captain I was given an advanced war ship and my frigate was given to an officer. After sustaining damage headed to the shipyard but after repairing my ship the frigate disappears. Iv tried it in Bonaire port, jamaica and iv tried repairing just my ship and both ships. Everytime i tried the frigate disapeared.

I've got a nice one. Apparently, since all crewmembers you take ashore are named the same, the game can't tell the difference between them. Hiring a new crewmember while on land to replace a dead one will, after one loading screen, give the new member the equipment of the old one. Opening that person's inventory will even change his appearance back to that of the old guy once you close it again. While i do say the item recovery could be considered a convenient feature, since you can't loot killed crewmembers on land, the appearance change is slightly more bug-worthy.

Probably due to the way it was programmed with consecutive numbers for the crew IDs.

5) That is a problem with your game. Try over again from a previous save. I have played the Bart O Port side quest many times, the last time last week, and it works for me almost all the time.

6) The reward ship mod is not completed and still has some bugs. The best thing to do is to save before getting the reward ship from the governor. Then as soon as you get it swap ships so you get your old one back and replace that new officer commanding it with another one.
You will find you have two of this new officer now, but only one at a time can be used. Also, the Portagee reward officer will not set foot on land. I use him to bring in heavily damaged prize ships. Also, none of the reward officers will accompany you into boarding battles.

Morgan Terror: Are you talking about crewmen or officers?

Only crewmen. Officers work just fine, although some quest officers could use some imporving in terms of dialogue and skillset.

I'm also noticing that the waves in storms don't neccesarily follow the wind. Is this on purpose?

Don't think so; might just be the way it is programmed. Just consider it as being swell. :wp

It seems a bit strange to me, swell or not. Running before the wind seems like the more sensible thing to do, but that puts me with the waves on my beam now.

On an unrelated note, these icons i see for topics that indicate where i've been posting really look like succesfully pillaged targets with my particular avatar.

It seems a bit strange to me, swell or not. Running before the wind seems like the more sensible thing to do, but that puts me with the waves on my beam now.
I'm not sure if we can get the waves to follow the wind. Should be possible to code, but I guess no-one has tried before.

On an unrelated note, these icons i see for topics that indicate where i've been posting really look like succesfully pillaged targets with my particular avatar.
:rofl
Watch out, he's taking us out one by one! :ninja

The waves already follow the wind outside of storms, so it might be as simple as copy-paste. In the meantime, i'll check for any signs of consistency. Last storm i had the waves coming from a roughly 90 degree angle to my right, likewise for the wind vs. waves angle.

Back