• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Merchant flags and Ship collision damage

thats what I tought yes. I will see to it this week. Will see if I can just make it troggable in the menu. So you can choose to have no collision damage at all. Only when the player is involved or at all times.
We await your work! :onya

Umm, not having GA appear automatically as soon as you approach an island is a cheat? I am so looking forward to the greatly reduced GA from this mod. :xmas
Not getting damage from hitting stuff is a cheat. Not sure what the GA has to do with this at all.
Unless ships like to crash into islands so often and lose masts that that commonly triggers the issue.

Just extract attached to PROGRAM\SEA_AI and see if it makes any difference. No new game required.

Attachments

• AIShip.zip
    53.7 KB · Views: 90
Every island has 6 ships around it and if one of them crashes into the island and dismasts itself there WILL be GA. It is rare to NOT get GA when sailing into port.

Got it!

I just got a strange ctd. I got in a fight with a pirate ship, sunk it, and as I was sailing away it ctd'ed with a message about c+++. Looking at the logs makes me think it might be related to this aiship file.

Possible false alarm as I replayed this and it worked perfectly.

Attachments

• compile.log
    27.7 KB · Views: 94
  • error.log
    170 bytes · Views: 90
  • system.log
    23.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 90
invalid index 3 [size:3]
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 90
function 'CreateFlagEnvironment' stack error
And:
Code:
For character 1296 fall Mast name mast1 has index 1
Looks like something flag-related. Stupid flags code!!! :whipa

I saw that and it is odd because no ship lost a mast. The pirate ship was the old snow brig, which is a problematical one because of the "model could not be read" issue. That means it has never been updated and urgently needs to be replaced or repaired.

Looks like the game crashed at the moment a ship DID lose a mast. Not sure what ship though; doesn't say.

That invalid index error is a weird one though. Got that as well when trying to fix the various flags problem, but as far as I understand it, it simply shouldn't be happening.
Clearly doesn't stop it from happening anyway though, which is REALLY annoying. :modding

Hmm. Mast 1 is the bowsprit. That is either my ships crashing into each other or another ship somewhere crashing into something. But I had installed your fix.

I don't think my fix changes masts falling when hitting stuff; just prevents HP hits.

Huh. Frankly I would prefer them to take HP hits. That way they will eventually sink and eventually the GA will go away. This is observed behavior when ships crash into islands.

Extract attached to PROGRAM\SEA_AI . I think that should disable non-player-ship mast damage on collisions in addition to disabled HP hits.
If anything can be enabled again, we can do so. Perhaps put the HP hits back as you suggest.

Attachments

• AIShip.zip
    53.8 KB · Views: 87
First impressions: No GA when sailing around islands and only got into one small battle. One mast was lost, but it was a fast merchantman which does not have flags so no GA.

So has this improved properly as per the new update? Can we restore the HP damage and just prevent mast damage?
How do people want this to work? Your choice! :whipa

I am quite happy with it as is. GA is rare now instead of constant. I would avoid ship combat and spend as much time as possible on the world map and then use max time compression in order to minimize the GA. Now I can sail around and enjoy the game.

Since the ship collision detection system is and has been broken for a long time, not losing HP makes for better battles as the ships no longer sink or surrender but continue the battle after crashing into each other and spinning like tops.

Hmm. Thinking on the fly, would it be better to have them survive the collisions or just go ahead and sink or surrender? :nerbz I have avoided the big Spanish galleons just because of this issue. With one of those in my fleet being in a harbor results in much damage and sunken ships, some of them mine.

Sounds like we'll just leave it disabled then. Thanks for the comments. :doff

Back