• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

More accurate ranks and new uniforms

Aerilon

Powder Monkey
Hello there,

in this thread Click I already mentioned that I will edit some ranks because I didn't liked the existing ones.
I changed nearly all existing ranks into more accurate and more correct ranks. But I thought "Hey, maybe some others want also more accurate ranks".
So I decided to give you the edited file. It is in the attachment and I hope it is okay that way. If it should be that I am not allowed to edit files or upload edited files please tell me.
Otherwise you will find the new nations_init.c file in the attachment.
The changes are the following:
England
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Midshipman"; -> Ensign
rNation.Ranks.2 = "3rd Lieutenant"; -> Sub-Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.3 = "2nd Lieutenant"; -> Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.4 = "1st Lieutenant"; -> Lieutenant-Commander
rNation.Ranks.5 = "Commander";
rNation.Ranks.6 = "Captain";
rNation.Ranks.7 = "Commodore";
rNation.Ranks.8 = "Rear Admiral";
rNation.Ranks.9 = "Vice Admiral";
rNation.Ranks.10 = "Admiral";
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Admiral of the Fleet";
rNation.Ranks.12 = "First Lord of the Admiralty"; -> Lord High Admiral (Just another name for the same rank, but i like it better ;) )

Spain
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Alferez"; -> Aspirante (Because Alferez means Lieutenant and Aspirante means something like Ensign)
rNation.Ranks.2 = "Seg.-Tenente"; -> Alferéz de Fragate
rNation.Ranks.3 = "Teniente"; -> Alferéz de Navío
rNation.Ranks.4 = "Capitan de Corbeta"; -> Teniente de Navío
rNation.Ranks.5 = "Capitan de Fragata"; -> Capitán de Corbeta
rNation.Ranks.6 = "Capitan de Navio"; -> Capitán de Fregata
rNation.Ranks.7 = "Contra Almirante"; -> Capitán de Navío
rNation.Ranks.8 = "Vice Almirante"; -> Contraalmirante
rNation.Ranks.9 = "Almirante"; -> Vicealmirante
rNation.Ranks.10 = "Capitan General"; -> Almirante
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Almirante General"; -> Almirante General
rNation.Ranks.12 = "Almirante de Armada Espanola"; ->Capitán General

Holland
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Cadet Officier" -> Adjutant Onderofficier
rNation.Ranks.2 = "3e Luitenant";
rNation.Ranks.3 = "2e Luitenant";
rNation.Ranks.4 = "1e Luitenant"; -> 2e Luitenant 1e klasse
rNation.Ranks.5 = "Schout-bij-Nacht"; -> 1e Luitenant
rNation.Ranks.6 = "Kapitein-Luitenant"; -> Kapitein-luitenant
rNation.Ranks.7 = "Kapitein ter zee";
rNation.Ranks.8 = "Commandeur";
rNation.Ranks.9 = "Vice-Admiraal"; -> Schout bij Nacht
rNation.Ranks.10 = "Luitenant-Admiraal"; -> Vice-Admiraal
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Admiraal"; -> Luitenant-Admiraal
rNation.Ranks.12 = "Generaal-Admiraal"; -> Admiraal

Portugal
rNation.Ranks.Quantity = 12;
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Aspirante";
rNation.Ranks.2 = "Seg.-Tenente"; -> Subtenente
rNation.Ranks.3 = "Tenente"; -> Segundo-tenente
rNation.Ranks.4 = "Capitao-Tenente"; -> Primeiro-tenente
rNation.Ranks.5 = "Capitao-de-Fragata"; -> Capitão-tenente
rNation.Ranks.6 = "Capitao-de-Mar-e-Guerra"; -> Capitão-de-fragata
rNation.Ranks.7 = "Comodoro"; -> Capitão-de-mar-e-guerra
rNation.Ranks.8 = "Contra-Almirante"; -> Comodoro
rNation.Ranks.9 = "Vice-Almirante"; -> Contra-Almirante
rNation.Ranks.10 = "Almirante"; -> Vice-Almirante
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Almirante da Armada"; -> Almirante
rNation.Ranks.12 = "Almirante da Marinha de Guerra Portuguesa"; -> Almirante de Armada

USA
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Sarge"; -> Ensign
rNation.Ranks.2 = "Master Sergeant"; -> Lieutenant jr. Grade
rNation.Ranks.3 = "Sub-Lieutenant"; -> Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.4 = "Lieutenant"; -> Lieutenant-Commander
rNation.Ranks.5 = "Captain"; -> Commander
rNation.Ranks.6 = "Major"; -> Captain
rNation.Ranks.7 = "Colonel"; -> Commodore
rNation.Ranks.8 = "Commodore"; -> Rear Admiral
rNation.Ranks.9 = "Counter-Admiral"; -> Vice Admiral
rNation.Ranks.10 = "Admiral"; -> Admiral
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Capitalist"; -> Fleet Admiral
rNation.Ranks.12 = "Corporation Head"; -> Chief of Naval Operations

Ok, these are all the changes. Surprisingly the french ranks were all correct oO

Furthermore I asked in the linked thread if it is possible to edit the textures of the uniforms.
I saw that there are Uniform for the English, French and Spanish. And they look really great!
But I'm still missing the Uniforms for the Dutch, Portuguese and the USA.
Well, I would create some, but I really suck in 3d modellin, actually I have never modelled anything.
So I thought it could be possible to just take the British Uniforms and give them other colors. A black or really dark blue for USA, orange or a orange/blue mix for Holland and Green for Portugal.
So I tried to do by using the TX Converter and Photoshop and it turned out that I also fail in repaiting.
So my request is, if anybody would be so kindly to either a) do the repaint, rename and implementation of those uniforms for me or b) tell me how to do, so that even I can't fail.

So far so good,
sail safe!

Attachments

• nations_init.c
    33.5 KB · Views: 99
are you sure about the english ones? the original ranks (such as 3rd lieutenant and such) were mentioned several times in master and commander, if i remember correctly. are your changes based on the modern ranks, or the historically correct ones?

Well, I couldn't find any historical ranks, so I used modern ones.
For the Lieutenant Ranks I used the Hornblower Movies and Books as a source. There is no 1st, 2nd, 3rd Lieutenant. There are just a Lieutenant on duty and a patented Lieutenant ( I translated literally, i just know the names in german. There it is "diensthabender Lieutenant" and "patentierter Lieutenant" so if anybody does know a better translation^^). I know there were no Lieutenant-Commander in the RN in the 17th/18th century. But i like the sound of this rank, so i included it.
It might be that the 3rd lieutenant and 2nd and so on are historical correct. But then you don't need to change them. Then change just the other stuff. Actually all i wanted to do was changing the US ranks because they are just crap.
But then i thought i look up the ranks of the other navies and change them too...My changes might not all be correct, so feel free to correct them. I like them as they are now and if u do so too, you are welcome :D
Bye

i can't comment on most of them, but i'm pretty sure the dutch and english ranks were correct, at least for the most part. they used the 17th century titles. the american ranks are an odd case, since it depends on when you'd consider america a seperate nation. i think the game does make that assumption, but i'd expect the ranks to be fairly similar to the english ones at the time the game takes place.

Yeah the dutch ranks are correct but were in a wrong order. Schout bij nacht is comparable to a rear admiral, so it comes after the commodore rank, and between the 1e luitenant and 2e luitenant there is a 2e luitenant 1e klasse,
i cann tell you this for sure because i have dutch relatives who confirmed this for me. At least this is the way today. But i think that even 200 years ago a rear admiral came after a commodore :D
And a rank like genraal-admiraal never existed. In the spanish armada there is a Capitán-General, this i know for sure. Though it is used today for the King, but in the 17/18th century it was a regular military rank.

Okay, so far for now....i have to go to my spanish classes :D

Adíos Amigos ;)

I know nothing about the correct ranks for that time, but I do know that two of the Portagee names are too long and will crash the game. They are : Capitao-de -Mar-e-Guerra and Almirante-da Marinha-de-Guerra -Portuguesa.

Yes, that's true. It would be interesting to know how many characters the game maximum allows.
Capitão-de-Mar-e-Guerra means literally translated "Captain of Sea and War" so I would cut it to Capitão-de-Mar which than means "Captain of Sea" So I think the "of war" part is not that relevant.

The English first rank of "Midshipman" is correct for sure, going by the Hornblower books.
The first Hornblower book is even called "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower".

"Adjutant Onderofficier" sounds pretty cool, but I like "Cadet Officier" because that's a rank I've held some years ago.
Of course now I'm "Third Officer/Derde Officier", which isn't on the list at all.
Which might have something to do with me not working on navy ships. :razz
Maybe we can change it to:

Holland
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Cadet Officier";
rNation.Ranks.2 = "Adjutant Onderofficier";
rNation.Ranks.3 = "3e Luitenant";
rNation.Ranks.4 = "2e Luitenant"
rNation.Ranks.5 = "1e Luitenant";
rNation.Ranks.6 = "Kapitein-Luitenant"
rNation.Ranks.7 = "Kapitein ter zee";
rNation.Ranks.8 = "Commandeur";
rNation.Ranks.9 = "Schout bij Nacht"
rNation.Ranks.10 = "Vice-Admiraal";
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Luitenant-Admiraal";
rNation.Ranks.12 = "Admiraal";

USA
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Capitalist"; -> Fleet Admiral
rNation.Ranks.12 = "Corporation Head"; -> Chief of Naval Operations
^It remains funny. :rofl

But to be fair, half the US ranks are based on the army and the other half are ridiculous
and maybe a little bit respectless, with none of it being accurate.
So it'll be good to have that change. But I'll miss the capitalists. :razz

I cannot really speak for the Spanish and Portuguese ranks...

Except for the Lietenants, The English ones were correct to begin with. The problem with lieutenants is at this time in the British and American navies is their rank was decided by seniority so that in a given ship the 1st lieutenant had been lieutenant longest, the 2nd lieutenant the 2nd longest and so on. depending on what ship you sailed in as a lieutenant, you could have been a 1st lieutenant on one ship and then afterwards 5th lieutenant on another ship. I don't know how you would best show this in-game, either the way it was or junior and senior lietenants or something like Lieutenant level 1,2, &3. I don't think lieutenant commander was a rank at this time , but I think a lieutenant could be captain of a cutter or the like and be called the lieutenant commanding or something like that. I am pretty sure that in both the US and British Navies the rank of Midshipman was not renamed Ensign until awhile after the final game period ends, like mid or late 1800s. Here is how I would make the ranks for England and the US more accurate

England
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Midshipman";
rNation.Ranks.2 = "Junior Lieutenant "; -OR- 3rd Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.3 = " Lieutenant "; -OR- 2nd Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.4 = "Senior Lieutenant"; -OR- 1st Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.11 = "Admiral of the Fleet";
rNation.Ranks.12 = "First Lord of the Admiralty";

USA
rNation.Ranks.1 = "Midshipman";
rNation.Ranks.2 = "Junior Lieutenant "; -OR- 3rd Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.3 = " Lieutenant "; -OR- 2nd Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.4 = "Senior Lieutenant"; -OR- 1st Lieutenant
rNation.Ranks.11 = " Fleet Admiral";
rNation.Ranks.12 = "Chief of Naval Operations"; -OR- Secretary of the Navy

They look good to me Captain Armstrong, and will not rub up our american players so much i suspect! :onya

(even if they are funny ;) - don't forget we have a 'dead albatross' artifact, so humour is alive and well!).

I'm not sure if you even can advance in pirate ranks, as I've never tried, but I changed the ranks a while ago for fun when I changed the American and Dutch ones.
Unknown Freebooter --> Dishonest Sailor
Unknown Pirate --> Rumrunner
Freebooter --> Freebooter
Cutthroat --> Smuggler
Promising Pirate --> Corrupt Merchant
Well-known Pirate --> Cunning Pillager
Famous Pirate --> Free Captain
Infamous Pirate --> Terror of the Caribbean
Dread Pirate --> Terror of the Seven Seas
Scourge of the Archipelago --> Captain of the Jolly Roger
Scourge of the Caribbean --> Seafaring Legend
Scourge of the Seven Seas -->Gentleman of Fortune

Concerning uniforms, the American ones look almost purple at times. A dark blue would be nice, as a play for the US a lot.
Also, I can repaint things fairly well on photoshop, but I'm clueless in converting or coding. Unfortunately I'm moving in less than 10 days so I can't really help now.

i dunno about those new pirate titles. i like some of them, since they reflect what society thinks of you at the time, but some of them are not that good. they're indicators of personal wealth though, not an actual letter of marque from the pirates. maybe both.

i dunno about those new pirate titles. i like some of them, since they reflect what society thinks of you at the time, but some of them are not that good. they're indicators of personal wealth though, not an actual letter of marque from the pirates. maybe both.

Well they're just ones I made for fun a while ago, I didn't really concentrate on perfecting the names and I agree some are not that good. (If it was up to me I would only have about 8 ranks, because there is no way the First Lord of the Admiralty would be sailing around the Caribbean getting stopped by every soldier for looking suspicious) They are meant to reflect an increase in wealth and notoriety, as there is no pirate navy. I'm not even sure you can raise rep with pirates over 0, sinking national ships doesn't seem to do anything, and you just pay them off for "protection" rather than getting a Letter of Marque.

Which ones do you like/not like?

The pirate ranks are related purely to how well-known you are.
Technically you could end up being a Scourge of the Seven Seas through being an Admiral in one of the navies.
Admittedly doesn't make much sense. :facepalm

I'm kinda lost here. What Islands in the game are american because i havent came across any americans.

Also is there a way to change your starting weapons.

Eleuthera is American in the Master and Commander time period.
The USA didn't exist in Nathaniel Hawk's time so it doesn't appear.

I would think you could change the starting weapons in the Storyline files, or you could get the console to give you what you want at the push of a button.

Back