• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

More guns and new calibres and other relevant things

Wolfgang Hamilton

Admiral and Commander of the Red Squadron in HMRN
alright so i have to admit i am quite late to join this site, but i've been playing the mod for POTC since D-day

now i am really happy about all the different upgrades for the ships, but i still feel that there may be improvements

take the guns for example, it would be nice with more variety ranging from 3 pounders all the way to 92 pounders.

also a special new cannon to those going more for the seabattles rather than trade.

one that is quite famous and was used on ships as well. "Geschwinda Skott" which litteraly means "Fast Shot"

these guns were special in that they used the very first primitive form of propellant and projectile in one.

it was all in a wooden or wax catridge which outright drastically increased accuracy, range and most importantly...rate of fire.

it was not uncommon for a veteran crew to fire off 12 rounds or maybe even up to 14 rounds per minute.

the downside was that these guns required special casting, took longer time to make and materials and so were alot more expensive and also required special munition.

if they were in the game i reckon depending on the calibre one of these would be be worth as much as a decent warship or even squadron, so you would really need to have quite a few of them dubloons and some extra time when installing a whole set or even one gun, also they would need a new kind of ammunition since they would not be able to simply have balls and powder.

instead you would need to buy these wooden or wax catridges from the store or get them from the cannon foundry

if the Geschwindas and other unique cannons make it in, you would proparbly need a way to keep them away from too fresh a cap'ns, by determining 3 stats, leadership, cannons, accuracy and also proparbly abilities.

much like which determines what kind of ship you can use, you would need to meet the required credentials to make use of special guns. and maybe even abilities

i also can propose a few new abilities (i carefully made them so that you would not get too op and you need the previous to open the next like some other abilities) PS if you want to change the increase values to make it more balanced go ahead.

Rookie Gunner
you have spent a little time training potshots on rocks and palms
accuracy is increased by 5% reload by 5% range by 1% you can also make use of the smallest calibers of special guns

Experienced Gunner
you've been in some skirmishes involving the use of ship artillery.
Accuracy is increased by 7% reload increased by 7% critical increased by 2% and chance of fire on enemy ship increased by 2% and you can make use of some of the small to mid size special cannons

Veteran Gunner
You are no stranger to the humps of metal that are on your ship and knows how to use them well.
Accuracy is increased by 15% reload increased by 15% range increased by 3% critical hit chance increased by 5%
Range increased by 4% can use mid size special guns

Elite Gunner
Being at the deck along with the guncrew for a long time has made you very knowledgable.
increase are up to you
can use some heavy guns

Master Gunner
higher than elite
can use heavy guns and howitzers

Legendary Gunner
can use the heaviest of guns and also some other weapons

Mathematics
increase accuracy and range slightly

Ballistics
increase range and accuracy moderately

improved ammunition storage
lesser chance of critical hit and flame and slightly increases cargo hold

deck fire sequence
enable it to fire decks singularly (less power in broadsides but more continous volume)

group cannon firing sequence (a group of guns fire after eachother, weaker than deck and normal, but more continous firing)

singe gun firing sequence (weakest broadside but you will allways have a gun firing all the time)

these 3 last are active abilities.

if you want you can come up with other ideas to enhance the more violent element of your vessels, like abilities or guns or other things to enhance them, maybe even new munitions.

POTC is an old program that simply does not allow for the variety you are describing in cannon sizes. You do know that a given ship is limited to only one gun size. That means a ship would be armed with only "Geschwinda Skott", for example. I may have seen pictures of those, and
if I remember correctly they were smaller size guns.

A new more detailed gunner ability ladder might work.

Regarding the ability ladder, it should not be forgotten that each ability would still require skillpoints. Dedicating that many points to nothing other than gunning seems excessive, unless you plan to replace the old abilities with your new ones entirely. Even then they would be a bit numerous.

The only thing that WOULD be possible is to make the bow chasers extra strong, for example. But there's already a upgrade for that.

Back