• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Music- kind of a human resource

Tyrinius

Landlubber
Hey Guys and Ladies!
Been lurking around here for years since I bought PotC and been playing the Build Mods up and down.
You already have a lot of talented Musicians on board! I've been listening to some stuff and that's really awesome!
I merely want to introduce myself and tell you where I might be able to lend you a hand.
I am a musician by trade. Primarily electric bass guitar, but also lots of double bass and (now the more important part) I also play folk music and I am very interested in the history of such music.
With my Folk Band I play the Tenor Banjo (which doesn't really fit on a ship, oh god, I don't want to tune a banjo head there, not to mention it doesn't fit in the timeline), Irish Bouzouki (which is essentially an octave-mandolin, just with a smaller corpus, so it could fit just right) and Mandolin. I also play the Tin Whistle, but I'm really bad, I might make for a credible sailor trying to play it drunk, though :D
I am also able to do all that jazz every musician can. Converting audio, compression and stuff. Unfortunately I am living in the middle of Germany, so I can't record any SFX related to the genre. But I have a pretty decent pool of musicians around and I can record up to 16 tracks at once, so if one of the musicians needs something I might be able to force someone to play it :D

:ahoymate!

Keep lurking! Methinks your talents will come in handy soon enough. Mandolin? :woot

Sounds perfect, actually. What kind of mandolin do you have? The Neapolitan mandolin (luteback) is perfect for the time period we'll initially be creating. The steel stringed Neapolitan would have been relatively new then. (I have one- Unfortunately the soundboard if misshapen and it will need to be taken apart and re-bent.) The bouzouki will be useful as well. I already have a few ideas for period songs.
I think an arrangement of this could sound very good on those two instruments. Maybe with more if you can press-gang a few people. Unfortunately, I don't have sheet music for it.

And you don't need to keep lurking. The sooner we can starter making music, the larger our soundtrack will be. That's especially good for folk.

Oh, hello, I'm the music coordinator by the way. :p
The only purpose of that role right now is to make suggestions.

Edit: Does anyone you know own and play a hurdy gurdy? That would be so, so perfect.

Last edited:
Great to have you, mate! Access to actual musicians would be good for sure. :cheers

Sorry for the late response. It's a flat backed mandolin with oval soundhole. I'm pretty busy at the moment, but I hope to make some recordings soon so you can hear how it sounds.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who owns a Hurdy Gurdy. But that would indeed be awesome. I'll keep my eyes open!

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing them. Note that I'll be gone this week from Wednesday to Sunday, so I might not get a chance to check back during those days.

Back