• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Muskets not being used in boardings

Green Jacket

Sailor Apprentice
Hey noticed a weird problem.....

When you go onto your ship your gunner gives you ammo for your equipped gun....

Problem is it replaces whatever ammo is in your inventory.

And also for musketoons and muskets your gunner gives you grapeshot.... as such you cannot put musket balls in you crews weapon locker....

Thus they have muskets... but no ammo :facepalm

Edit: As suggested issue is nothing to do with ammo, simply bug with crew not firing musket during boarding actions, fix posted later in thread.
*Thread title changed to reflect this*

Last edited:
Cheers,

the gunner should give you the one type of ammo you need, according to the weapon you have equipped.
And I think it is that he replaces your ammo in inventory for purpose, so you'll have the maximum ammo of your required type in inventory.

To equip boarders with ammo, it is not required to place ammo in the weaponslocker. Just throw the weapons in.
At least I think it is so.

Edit:
Just tried it out.
Gave Musketoon and Musket to me and some of my officers.
All where equipped with the correct type of ammo, which is musket bullet for the musket, and grape for the musketoon.
Firing them worked too, me firing musket worked, and my mate with his musketoon fired, too. Just the guy with the musket did not fire, but tried. But he had the right ammo.

Not yet tried boarders. I know the fire when they board, but I haven't yet looked whoo fired and who not. Since they usually win, that wasn't necessary.

Maybe there is a problem with muskets not firing except the one the main character is equipped with?

Last edited:
The long guns will not fire if the shooter already has a weapon drawn. The sword has to be sheathed and then drawn, then the musket will fire.

On boarding actions the crew often starts off with drawn weapons so their gun does not fire.

You do not need to give ammo to either crew or officers unless they run low before you make it back to the ship.

Only player and officers require ammunition; none of the other characters do.

Only the player and officers (I think) need ammo, not crew.
And once again I'm sorry but the "musket/musketoon on back" mod is not at all perfect.

Wow that happened while I was posting, hi Pieter!

Hiya, mate! :cheers

I think the biggest issue with the "musket/musketoon on back" mod is when it is used in boarding scenes and the characters and generated with their blade already drawn.

Yes, and in every situation when more than one character is using those rifles. We have talked about it and the reason is the game
doesn't know who is doing what. We need something ... global...ehhr ... or so. o_O

Aye, too bad it doesn't work.
But then again, as a workaround, there's a lot of fine pistols in game that all seem to work.

Perhaps it would be an idea to disable your mod in boarding scenes and fort assaults? That might help quite a bit for gameplay purposes.

Do you know how to do that? Or at least which code would need to be disabled?
Using if(bAbordageStarted) might do the trick.

Do you know how to do that? Or at least which code would need to be disabled?
Using if(bAbordageStarted) might do the trick.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.
I found this: if (LAi_boarding_process), see what works.

Great thanks - will test it.
And I think it's not a problem if Muskets are not shown on back during boardiong - boarders almost instantly draw weapons.

Thats great... where do I put that file (seeing I'm relatively new to New Horizon)

Thread could do with a re-name maybe seeing we got to the root of the real problem, aka muskets not being used.

And what could cause the problem of no weapons (my crew) firing? I only have pistols in the weapons locker and just in case added ammo and gunpowder in the chest as well, but when I "loot" a dead crewmember he has no ammo, neither did he shoot.

Back