• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Mutiny problem

Jack Rackham

ex train dispatcher
Quest Writer
Storm Modder
With a Bermuda sloop and 11 crew (+2 immortal officers) they want to question me as captain. But in the mutiny deck scene there's no one to duel with. I see that for the Bermuda sloop min crew is 12. I have met two different upper left corner icons but no one could take me from the scene, Stuck. o_O

I've been having this problem forever. If it's a companion ship, I end up "boarding" it but get stuck on the main deck after killing everyone. Nothing to do except press F12.

I got stuck in a boarding scene too recently but no companion ship was involved. Don't remember the details to report it properly.

@Jack Rackham, @Kara Korsan: Can either of you provide a savegame from shortly before a mutiny? If so, I can play through the mutiny and try to find out what is going wrong.

Otherwise, next time you get a mutiny and either have nobody to fight or can not continue after the fight, please quit the game and post "compile.log", "system.log", and "error.log" if it exists.

Here's a savegame that can trigger a mutiny. If the crew is no longer 11 (the savegame did reset to max crew 41!!!)
it worked with this from console:

SetCrewQuantity(Pchar,11);

Attachments

• SAVE.7z
    635.3 KB · Views: 169
I was unable to confirm any of this.

@Jack Rackham: I loaded your savegame, sailed the whole way from Antigua to Jamaica, and did not get a single mutiny. The crew was 11. The savegame is in the "Woodes Rogers" storyline - is there supposed to be a mutiny triggered by a quest?

So then I set up a FreePlay game with cheatmode enabled, starting as an Adventurer, so no merchant licence, no LoM, not much "Leadership" skill, and therefore no mitigating factors against mutiny - or so I thought. After giving myself 2000000 gold by cheating, I sailed around for weeks and didn't even get a warning, let alone a mutiny. I even tried capturing a few ships in the hope of being branded a pirate, and that didn't happen either - a different issue which I'll raise in another thread. So I had silly money, was still supposedly paying by salary, refused to pay salary when asked, so the crew weren't getting a blind penny and still wouldn't mutiny.

After some digging, I finally found why I wasn't getting a mutiny. Function "AllowUnlimitedLoot()" is defined in "PROGRAM\NK.c" and returns true if you have no LoM and are not a pirate. You don't need a merchant licence.

So I bought a LoM and then got the warning. And in due time I got a mutiny. I'd chosen a Bermuda Sloop as my starting ship and resisted the temptation to switch to one of the pirated ships with a hold full of gold, so I still had the Bermuda sloop. The deck contained at least one mutineer, some loyal crew, and my officers. It's a small deck so I started off up some stairs at the stern, and the loyalists slaughtered the mutineers before I could even get down the stairs.

After that, I bought some bonus items to boost all my skills, in particular "Leadership" up to a level where I could take prize ships. A few promotions to the LoM got my reputation up to "Bloke", and I'd recruited an officer with reputation "Rascal". By happy coincidence I was later attacked by an enemy Bermuda sloop, which I captured and gave to the rascally officer. He eventually mutinied and I recaptured the ship. This concluded the same way as if I'd captured any other ship - after the boarding, the ransack screen appeared, and I assigned a captain to the ship.

Attached is a save folder containing a save at Charlestown, Nevis, before the rascally captain has mutinied. I've given almost all my "Leadership" bonus items to one of the officers so that my skill is down to 3. So if you load this, it shouldn't be long before either your own crew or the companion mutinies. (It goes into profile "Player10", so unless you also have a lot of FreePlay profiles, you should be able to copy the file into place without affecting your own game. This does mean you'll need to change profile to try it.)

Attachments

• SAVE.zip
    822.3 KB · Views: 161
With a Bermuda sloop and 11 crew (+2 immortal officers) they want to question me as captain. But in the mutiny deck scene there's no one to duel with. I see that for the Bermuda sloop min crew is 12. I have met two different upper left corner icons but no one could take me from the scene, Stuck. o_O
I can confirm this with the latest update (clean install no personal MODs) with the save you've provided. The savegame did not reset the crew so it's still 11. seadogs2_0003.jpg So, I went underway until it was time to pay the crew which I've denied that triggered a mutiny within a day or two. seadogs2_0005.jpg And yes, the deck was empty with no one to fight and was just stuck there. seadogs2_0000.jpg

Also, I've noticed that the blade does not appear even when it is equipped. I'll try to make a new game in freeplay and trigger a mutiny to see if it's still the same whenever I get the chance. The save might not be compatible with the default settings.

Attachments

• compile.log
    12 KB · Views: 153
  • error.log
    510 bytes · Views: 201
  • system.log
    1.7 KB · Views: 188
How did you trigger the mutiny?

From "compile.log":
Code:
ItemLogic: On load location MUTINY_Deck
That's a quest-specific location defined in "PROGRAM\Storyline\WoodesRogers\Locations\init\QuestLocations.c", which seems to confirm that this is a quest scene, though "compile.log" does not seem to show any quest cases being triggered immediately before the mutiny. Also, screenshot "seadogs2_0005.jpg" shows morale to be "Good", which should not normally trigger a mutiny as far as I know.

There are several failed attempts to create characters:
Code:
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <0> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 2)
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <1> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 3)
Ex officer Israel Hands on rld:loc0
... and becomes commander of the mutiny
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <2> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 4)
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <3> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 5)
Ex officer Ignatius Pell on rld:loc1

As for the sword, "system.log" repeatedly says:
Code:
resource\models\Ammo\bladeA4.gm: can't open geometry file
Try copying "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ammo\OtherItemsJRH\bladeA4.gm" into "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ammo", then see if you can trigger the mutiny again.

Try loading my savegame, which is a FreePlay with favourable conditions for a mutiny, and see what happens in your game.

The questblades which I've added do not automatically equip themselves when moving to a new location.
These 5 blades will be changed and moved (for other reasons too) to standard (unique) blades in my next update.

@Grey Roger thanks for digging into this. Also I've now been working for about 2 months with bug fixing and jump starts.
I have 73 changed files and hope to soon be ready for the next update. :type1

And yes, the deck was empty with no one to fight and was just stuck there.
Yes! That's it. :doff

There are several failed attempts to create characters:
Code:
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <0> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 2)
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <1> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 3)
Ex officer Israel Hands on rld:loc0
... and becomes commander of the mutiny
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <2> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 4)
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <3> can invalide model(man) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false (LAi_numloginedcharacters = 5)
Ex officer Ignatius Pell on rld:loc1
Odd; normally I'd expect those messages when too many characters are loaded in a location.
But that's apparently not the case here... o_O

I even tried capturing a few ships in the hope of being branded a pirate, and that didn't happen either - a different issue which I'll raise in another thread.
Huh? Yikes!

Odd; normally I'd expect those messages when too many characters are loaded in a location.
But that's apparently not the case here... o_O
It also used to happen if the player had been executing lots of prisoners, which then weren't cleared properly, leading to enemy captains failing to appear on the deck of a surrendered ship. That was fixed some time ago by making sure that they were properly cleared.

Huh? Yikes!
... a different issue which I'll raise in another thread
The other thread: Unconfirmed Bug - To pirate or not to pirate?

It also used to happen if the player had been executing lots of prisoners, which then weren't cleared properly, leading to enemy captains failing to appear on the deck of a surrendered ship. That was fixed some time ago by making sure that they were properly cleared.
Was that with the introduction of my scary 'ClearCharacter' function?
Glad to hear that ended up working out in the end.

Are there characters reused in mutinies too?
I wouldn't expect that. Though it worked pretty much the same way as boarding...

Was that with the introduction of my scary 'ClearCharacter' function?
Glad to hear that ended up working out in the end.
If I remember correctly, it was with a further use of 'ClearCharacter'. The function already existed and was doing its job in most situations, which is why I never ran into the problem of missing captains - I either released prisoners for ransom or reputation, or occasionally recruited them. The function wasn't being used on prisoners who were recruited or executed, so players who routinely did either of those were the ones who eventually ran into trouble.

Are there characters reused in mutinies too?
I wouldn't expect that. Though it worked pretty much the same way as boarding...
Normally it does. If a companion ship mutinies because its captain is of opposite alignment to you, that captain takes over the ship and if you then board the ship, you get to fight him. Or capture him if he surrenders. You can even re-recruit him. On the other hand, if the crew morale falls too far because of other factors, e.g. having lots of gold and not sharing it, then the mutineer, and any additional crew, seem to be created randomly as fantoms. @DavyJack's "error.log" shows four complaints about that procedure:
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Loc_ai\LAi_utils.c; line: 418
function 'LAi_CreateFantomCharacterEx' stack error
Line 418 of "LAi_utils.c" is indeed part of 'LAi_CreateFantomCharacterEx', which is one of a long sequence of functions involved in fantom creation. The next one down the line is called on line 418:
Code:
return LAi_CreateFantomCharacterRk(isfriend, offset, genrank, officertype, hasblade, hasgun, model, group, locator);
But that's not the end point - 'LAi_CreateFantomCharacterRk' then calls 'LAi_CreateFantomCharacterExOt', which calls 'LAi_CreateFantomCharacterExOtAt', which is the one that actually does the work.

So then I set up a FreePlay game with cheatmode enabled, starting as an Adventurer, so no merchant licence, no LoM, not much "Leadership" skill, and therefore no mitigating factors against mutiny - or so I thought. After giving myself 2000000 gold by cheating, I sailed around for weeks and didn't even get a warning, let alone a mutiny. I even tried capturing a few ships in the hope of being branded a pirate, and that didn't happen either - a different issue which I'll raise in another thread. So I had silly money, was still supposedly paying by salary, refused to pay salary when asked, so the crew weren't getting a blind penny and still wouldn't mutiny.

Drove me crazy. I was trying to get my folks to take up arms against me as well, so I could upload a save file here. Don't have any letters of marque yet, so the crew doesn't care how ridiculously rich I am.

I ended up just running KAM_Mutiny() on the console, but it didn't glitch. For some reason, I can't reproduce the glitch anymore.

Try my save from post #7. You should not have long to wait for a mutiny of one sort or another...

If you want to make sure it's the companion which mutinies, check the party officers to see who has all your "Leadership" bonus stuff. Also, edit "InternalSettings.h", go to the bottom, enable cheatmode, then hit numeric keypad 7 a couple of times to boost your reputation. That will increase the difference between you and the rascally companion, who should then mutiny sooner.

Try my save from post #7. You should not have long to wait for a mutiny of one sort or another...

Thanks, but I ended up getting a letter of marque and finally managed to trigger a...natural mutiny. Working perfectly. Y'know, that glitch was the sole reason I put up with my jealous crew and signed articles all the time instead of decimating them every time they got uppity. Wonder at which point it got fixed. Or maybe it's the clean install I did recently. Had I known, I'd go full Bezos on them all this time.

How did you trigger the mutiny?
Using @Jack Rackham 's save I went underway for two to three days until it was time to pay the crew which I denied, another day or so passes and they mutinied.
Try loading my savegame, which is a FreePlay with favourable conditions for a mutiny, and see what happens in your game.
I tried your save and everything seems to be working the way they should be. Nice little ship btw. :) ship1.jpg ship2.jpg Ahemm, anyway so I went underway for like a week and have had several attempts of mutiny on the companion ship which was prevented several times as well which I was impressed until the day came that they challenged me. seadogs2_0002.jpg so I've shredded the other ship and boarded her where I was met by the captain trying to make a deal seadogs2_0005.jpg which I've denied so I killed him and took all their possessions and that I transferred all my crew or rather sentenced most of them to death with the sharks lol until I only have the minimum which is 12 for this ship and again went underway until it was time to pay the crew which I've denied and after a day or so, here come's the mutiny. seadogs2_0008.jpg And yes, there was a fight, it was me and my two loyal officers and two mutineers which they've easily disposed of. seadogs2_0010.jpg After that we went to catch the sunset and took some photos which are the first two on this post. :p

One shocking thing that I've noticed tho is that your crew @Grey Roger are freakishly rich! :shock seadogs2_0014.jpg Both the mutineers have over a million in gold. I could've only wished there were more of them :woot A million per head, oh yeah! They could mutiny every day. Lol. :whipa

Attachments

• compile.log
    24.9 KB · Views: 175
  • error.log
    195 bytes · Views: 168
  • system.log
    1.1 KB · Views: 170
Back