• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

My third try...:p

Nice, looks like the Suprise, is that the base model your using?

Not quite, the movie surprise is the Rose, a replica of a vessel with the same name built in 1757. The lines of the 'original' were based on the Peregrine Galley, the archetype of pretty much all of the smaller british frigates from 1750 - 1780, hence the similarity between Surprise/Sphynx. :) The Surprise should be a tad larger, though.

Awsome Ship, I am totally speachless! This must be Art! May the force be with you to finish it...

Thanks, Takeda :)

Again a (very) small update, the bowsprit got a complete overhaul (new main and low rail, head timbers etc.) and some more details.

And early WIP of the 9-pounders:

:)

Hi, the cannon is beautiful:) Also the ship, but the compliments for it i think that was enough:)

Hehe, Oskar, but I put the pics up for Comments and Criticism, so if you spot something thats not okay, feel free to say so. :)

Polygon overload though?

I just hit the 40k triangles mark , but there´s still a lot of room for optimisation (mainly due to mirrored parts). With cannons and the standing rigging in place I´d expect something around 60k.
And some - if not most - of the details won´t make into the final model, but I need them for texture work.

You´re right with the cannon, though, the barrel alone has 12000 faces :D
But I´m gonna use this model for texture baking (as soon as I´ve found the right material settings for a nice looking 'gun iron' :b: ), the one the ship will be made of a low-poly 6 sided cylinder.

Regards,
Bava

Hi, i've got only a question for the cannon, why don't you make the rest of the cord getting out of the pulleys rolled on the deck? On the mine i think of making it... I think also the cable that retains the gun may be a bit longer or on the kick the gun'll fall on the deck, no? I'm not sure, i want only help you:)

Hi, i've got only a question for the cannon, why don't you make the rest of the cord getting out of the pulleys rolled on the deck?

I´ve thought about that, but I have yet to find a solution that looks good and is acceptable poly-wise.

I think also the cable that retains the gun may be a bit longer or on the kick the gun'll fall on the deck, no?

Yep, it should be longer. :yes

Okay, guys, a question:

Do you want the red and black colour scheme without the ornaments on the side or the one shown in the pictures below?

Red and Black would be more realistic for an english ship in the 1770s and I´d add 'tear and wear' details, so it looks like the ship has been at sea for some time.

Red and Blue

Close-up

Should look like this in the end (without the white hull colour):

I think you can make two version, in coas you can chose a skin, the same on potc...

I like both colour schemes. Indeed two versions sounds good to me.
The blue-and-gold looks somewhat French to my eyes, so we could use the two versions for different nations.

Thats the sad thing about POTC, 1 model per texture. COAS can have 3 textures per model, so i say make 2 models fot POTC and 1 model with both or 3 different textures. :onya

The Red and Blue colour scheme requires some changes to the model itself and as I only have time for one version I figured it´d be the best to ask which one I should work on.

Anyway, the little lady finally got a figurehead:

:dance

Great this work. :onya
Where did you get the beautiful textures with ornaments? :woot

Thanks, mate :)

For the ornaments, I modelled them, made a render with an alpha backround and then applied the result to my planking texture. Easy to do, but a bit time consuming :p

BEAUTIFUL!

Very Nice colour scheme, don't mess with it! :p

Q: This meant to be like this, it just caught my eye as a little odd:

imag1.jpg

Yup, its meant to be this way :yes
The anchor lining protects the chain plates when the anchor is lowered/lifted. Usually its black but the painting by Marshall I linked in the opening post shows it with ornaments.

Back