• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Naval Action - Open world multiplayer RPG

i'm a bit late coming to this discussion - but only looked up PvE today as fired up Naval Action for the first time in years. PvE sounds very similar to single player to me? That sounds great

Edit - by 'that sounds great' i meant 'why aren't we all playing it?'

Is it because PvE isn;t like singleplayer or because its missing the on shore pirate duel element?

The ship battles are beautiful - trading decent - they've even added fishing and crafting.

Last edited:
Because PvE is basically PvP without PvP.

And thus executed poorly with less content.

-Poland, Russia and Prussia don't have ports and thus can't use the Admirality (Making the combat marks useless, apart from selling them).
-No port battles, even not against the AI.
-Can't fight cooperatively with foreign nations, including friending them. Playing as the three aforementioned nations means you are playing an Always-online-SP-game with very lacking content.
-No endgame. I'm basically just collecting ships now.

It's obvious that the PvE-server was quickly set up to appease the PvE-crowd, without giving it much afterthought. We can only hope that it will be properly adjusted later in development.

Yet the game seems to do something right, as I have already sunk over 90 hours in it and have built up a worthy fleet, with a Victory and L'Ocean as my top-guns. It probably helps that you don't have to grind for weeks or months to even set foot on a 2nd rate, like in Pirates of the Burning Sea. In fact, even 1st rates are very easy to come by due to generous payouts. I bought myself a Bellona way before I could sail it in the first place.

Last edited:
Im amazed its still in alpha - i bought in years ago and theres been far buggier games released - what are they up to i wonder

It's in alpha since five years with barely any progress (No wonder with only 2 developers), I'm afraid that they will end development due to running out of money or finally giving up as they just can't keep the workload up anymore.

When you say 'fleet' do you mean a collection of ships and you can take one out at a time - or is there an element of fleet battles? Like you can give the ai ships orders? Or is it just a free-for-all

ive answered my own question - looking online it seems you could control some AI ships using commands on the map screen - but also it seems they have removed the fleet battles for the PvE games - people not happy about that. Anyway - i can honestly say it is the most beautiful age of sail gamne ive ever played - some of the battles almost look realistic - especially as the sun is setting, with cannon smoke drifting over the water.

Back