• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

need help: build13_final no dialogues

Leopard2

Landlubber
hello everybody,

first i want to thank you modders for the great job you've done, i can imagine how much time and effort you put into this projects, and the results are really awesome.

i've got a serious problem with the build13 final mod, and hopefully there's someone who can help me fix this. i'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, because i'm not sure wether its a bug or some other kind of problem, so i hope you don't mind that i post it here.

after following the installation instructions:

1 - Install Build 13 Final, following the installation procedures in the installer file
2 - Let the installer run the RunMe.bat file and follow it's instructions
3 - Open PROGRAM\Worldmap\worldmap.c and set MAPSPEED to 1.0 at the top of the file
4 - Install the Midnight Full Cargo Hold CTD Fix
5 - Change the game's settings in BuildSettings.h
6 - Change the game's controls to your liking

i started a new game and this problem occured:
right at the beginning when nathaniel jumps out of the bed normaly the tutorial sequence with malcolm begins, but in my case it doesn't. malcom is standing at the door of the cabin and doesn't talk, and neither i can talk to him. all controls are working fine, i can walk around, open the chests, use the weapons, etc. but i can't trigger the dialogue sequence. without beeing able to trigger the tutorial sequence the only door to the deck keeps locked, and the only thing i can do is to attack malcolm, and then he kills me.
after that nathaniel wakes up in the tavern room, and normaly there should start another dialogue sequence with the woman in that room, but again nathaniel jumps out of the bed, walks to the woman, the camera swings around and then nothing happens. and again all the controls are working fine exept of the dialogue function. and of course the tavern room door won't be unlocked so i'm stuck in that room.

i hit enter to open the command icons, use the arrow buttons to select the "talk to - icon", and hit enter again to activate it. but nothing happens. does anyone has an idea what's going wrong?

my system:
amd athlon 64 dual core 4200+
4gb ram
nvidia gforce 8800 gt
creative soundblaster x-fi
windows xp home sp3
original PotC 1.0 german version
mods from Pirates Ahoy download mirrors

greetz

Welcome! :gday

If it's not something related to it being the German version, then my guess would be a bad download or install. I have gotten bad downloads before that caused strange things to happen. It's a pain doing it all again, but sometimes necessary.

Build 14 patch 4 is working pretty well. You might want to try that also.

On the other hand, if Build 13 Final acts that strangely, I'm not sure if Build 14 Beta 1 would be better.
It should just work. :wacko:

while trying again to play the game today i recognized some other odd things:

i startet a new game with language settings switched to german, as i did the last time. the same problem occured, and also most of the item discriptions in the inventory were not shown, and the quest book wasn't there. to be more precise, it IS there, but actually u can't SEE it. the whole screen is black. only thing u see is the menü bar on top of the screen (wich works properly) and the questionmark at the end of the first quest entry in the book.
u can even "blind"-click on the entry to select it (the questionmark disappears), and click somewhere else to deselect the entry (the questionmark appears again), and that means its WORKING but u can't SEE it because both the text and the rest of the screen are black.
all the other screens are working fine, e.g. the character screen or the ship inventory, etc. they're all displayed correctly and work just fine.

after that i started a new game with language switched to english, and what a surprise, immediately after nathaniel jumps out of bed the tutorial dialogue with malcolm is triggered! i then played about 3 and a half hours without any problems until finally the game crashed after my ship sinking due to loosing a battle against two spanish ships in a storm. so, besides the crash, the build13 obviously runs pretty good, i suppose it has got something to do with the language settings?

it seems that i have to play the game in english, what is not really a big problem to me, but i think maybe some of u modding guys want to have a look on that issue? as a little challenge? :) i would be very interested to what it comes out if u manage to find a solution. if there is something i can do to help u with it, please tell me.

greetz

The language situation is explained in this link starting at post #369. Translating is a big job that no one has done.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/15382-build-14-beta-1/page__st__360

Indeed, that's where your problem was coming from. Build 13 will only work in English (and Russian). All the code for switching language is present and functional, but no translated files was ever added so it can't load anything. It's just awaiting some translators with high motivation...

I recall several persons did start to work on it some time ago, by their own... But well, as far as I can tell nothing was ever released.

I had myself started a French translation, and some people were ready to help. But that was never finished, and now it wouldn't be very usefull. We better wait a little more for Build 14.

Very true. The modpack can only be used in English until somebody does a full translation job, which isn't going to be finished any time soon.

well, i am aware that translating all textfiles would be a huge job, and the fact that the translation never has been completed is an explanation why no german texts are displayed, just because they don't exist.

but that's not the problem. i don't understand why missing textfiles can have an influence on the game coding itself?

as far as i know, a game (like any other computer program) in general works like this:
for example: if funktion "start dialogue" is activated, then start "program sequence dialogue".
(program sequence dialogue -> move camera to xyz, load frame, load name of character, load image of character, load textfiles, etc.)
if language is set to "english", then load textfile "english dialogue", if language is set to "german", then load textfile "german dialogue", and so on.

in case of the item discriptions it is like that, the item is shown but the text isn't displayed.
but in case of the dialogue sequences it's a little different. if just the textfiles are missing, the dialogue sequence SHOULD START without showing any text. but the dialogue sequence DOESN'T START AT ALL!

so i think the code for switching languages isn't functional.

Well, you just think wrong. I can insure you it is fully functional. The dialog coding just doesn't work that way.

If the needed dialog .h file is not found (the one with all text strings for the required dialog), it will try to load a standard error dialog file in stead, but as this error message is language-dependant as well and need its own .h file too, it can't load it either. As a consequence, it is coded so that it won't load any interface at all, rather than an empty interface without text. But it will generate a big bunch of lines in error.log. That's all. :shrug

ah, i see. so the interface is triggered AFTER the textfiles are loaded. well, everyday one can learn something new :)

i would like to have a look on it, where can i find the error.log. ?

i would like to have a look on it, where can i find the error.log. ?

To enable error logging see item 5 in this post -> http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/14915-build-mod-and-forum-faq/page__view__findpost__p__352879

The log files will be posted by the game in the Pirates of the Caribbean folder.

:cheers

ok, thanx a lot.

Last question: is there a thread about editing the nation's flags?

in the buildinfo folder there's a file named KK Mod ReadMe.txt which describes the possibility to change the nation's flags,
by changing e.g. the file: file RESOURCE\TEXTURES\flagall.tga.tx

i know how to edit image files like tga, but how can i edit tga.tx files?

You just need the TX Converter to convert between TGA.TX and TGA: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/files/file/22-tx-convertor/

well, i already found out by myself that i have to use the converter, but i coldn't find the link.

but now i think i found it :)

wow, that was quick answer, thanx a lot

Back