• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help New Default Controls

Sorry about that! :p

But really, how come Hylie's file is different if he is using Beta 2.3? :confused:

Ooohhh. :facepalm Now I remember. I have an old defaultcontrols.h file saved and whenever I make a new install I just pop that baby right in there. No muss, no fuss. There's no telling how old it really is.

In the latest WIP patch, quicksave and quickload are at F4 and F5, with the teleport function at F6. Shouldn't the teleport function be at F4, with quicksave and quickload at F5 and F6?

Do you know how to make F6 show up with the proper icon in the game menus? I just tried again, but only managed to make my game crash when opening the Options menu.
Keeping F4 and F5 for Quicksave and Quickload and F6 for the Teleport function was just the easier solution. :shrug

I found a way to do it! I also got crashes at first, but then I discovered that the lines need to be in the correct order in the fonts_euro file.

We need to assign a character to the key so that the correct icon will show in the menu. In these files it's "ö" since it is one that wasn't in use, but another one might be more appropriate.

Attachments

• fonts_euro.ini
    55.9 KB · Views: 119
  • init_pc.c
    38.7 KB · Views: 162
I'm going to consider this "Solved" as per Beta 2.5. If anyone has any further suggestions for the default controls, be sure to let us know though. :doff

Actually, with the introduction of the cheat of the Shotgun Mode, I've been finding myself reconsidering the default controls.
This is what I would like:
Left Ctrl = Block (stock game)
Space = Attack (stock game)
Left Mouse = Fire gun (more like shooter games; you've got to admit that using "Q" is awkward!)

Also, I'm not sold on using "V" for manually aimed fire at sea. Could we think of something better? Perhaps Left Mouse too?
That clashes with the 1st person Sea Camera. Perhaps use Forward and Backward Arrow for that instead?

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Actually, with the introduction of the cheat of the Shotgun Mode, I've been finding myself reconsidering the default controls.
This is what I would like:
Left Ctrl = Block (stock game)
Space = Attack (stock game)
Left Mouse = Fire gun (more like shooter games; you've got to admit that using "Q" is awkward!)

Also, I'm not sold on using "V" for manually aimed fire at sea. Could we think of something better? Perhaps Left Mouse too?
That clashes with the 1st person Sea Camera. Perhaps use Forward and Backward Arrow for that instead?

Does that make any sense to anyone?

I personally use Space for firing a pistol, along with the mouse for Attacking and Blocking, and I quite like how that works.
Maybe use Shift for manual fire at sea? I also tend to use the mouse for setting/striking sails, with W and S for the camera zoom. I change a LOT of controls.

Do you want to use these as default controls for the shotgun mode or for the whole game?
Whole game was the idea.

I personally use Space for firing a pistol, along with the mouse for Attacking and Blocking, and I quite like how that works.
I also tend to use the mouse for setting/striking sails, with W and S for the camera zoom. I change a LOT of controls.
Lots of changes indeed! Oh well, that's what the Controls menu is for. :cheeky

Maybe use Shift for manual fire at sea?
Better than "V" in any case. If possible, I'd like to link it to the pistol key ashore though, so controls don't differ too much between shore and land.
I'm not sold on using the arrow keys for the 1st person camera though, because usually you'd find yourself with your left hand on the left side of the keyboard
and your right hand on the mouse. So you'd have to move your left hand to the arrow keys, which seems awkward too. :facepalm

well, for the whole game I don't like it. I think attack on left mouse and block on right is better, because you more likely fight with your sword than fire your pistol. If its possible to change the controls in the shotgun mode, I agree, firing on left mouse would be nice ;)

Hmm, I don't like using the mouse for fighting anyway; does too much stress on my fingers. :wp

The way this is going, I think trying to enforce new default controls is pointless, because we all have our personal preferences and will make several changes regardless. :facepalm
If anything, we ought to have a poll to decide which control schemes (e.g. using mouse or keys for fighting) are more popular, and try to cater for that.

LOTS of different settings indeed! In that case, how about sticking close to the game's default controls to start out with?

Saving your own DefaultControls.h is indeed a good idea. Except for the next release, because I had to add some stuff to it for the modified cheatmode.

Back