• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help New Default Controls

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
My left hand is seriously clumsy and I never liked the way that both hands are jammed over to the left side of the keyboard while fighting. So I re-arranged the furniture to be more like the COAS system. This means that attack is now the left mouse button and block is now the right mouse button. Try it and see what you think.

The "DefaultControls.h" goes in your POTC--->Program--->controls folder. Rename your stock one first so you still have it if needed.

Attachments

• DefaultControls.7z
    2.2 KB · Views: 129
I've been thinking of doing that, but never did. If people agree, we can set it up as the new controls. :yes

Other differences in your file:
- QuickSave: Do we want to use F4 and F5 or F5 and F6 for this? Any change is related to this:
Code:
ENABLE_CHEATMODE functionality added: F4 allows instant teleporting and dialog tests by Baste
- Dialog Choice Up/Down: We changed this to W and S to match with the new default controls for movement. Do we want to keep it that way or not?

Quicksave? I never use it and do not know how. Never touched that.

I moved the dialog buttons back to use my left hand less and my right hand more. Personal preference and not everyone might like it.

Quicksave? I never use it and do not know how. Never touched that.
Then why is your code different, I wonder? :shock

I moved the dialog buttons back to use my left hand less and my right hand more. Personal preference and not everyone might like it.
Personally I still can't get used to the W and S keys for it, though logically it DOES make more sense that way to me. :facepalm

I'm using a pure dog stock POTC except for a few modified ships and the cannon smoke mod. :shrug

My right hand gets stiff if left on the mouse too long and it helps to move it to the arrow keys now and then. There is no rush when talking to people.

I'm using a pure dog stock POTC except for a few modified ships and the cannon smoke mod. :shrug
Pure unmodified Build 14 Beta 2.3, I suppose? :wp

My right hand gets stiff if left on the mouse too long and it helps to move it to the arrow keys now and then. There is no rush when talking to people.
True, that. I'm hoping some other people here might chip in. I'd be quite happy to change the default settings further to something more sensible. :yes

I agree with remapping the fighting and dialogue keys, and we might was well change the quicksave buttons to accommodate the teleport cheat.
If we do go ahead with this, we need to make it absolutely clear to people so they don't end up pressing the wrong keys by force of habit, especially when it comes to quicksaving.

By default:
F4 = Teleport Cheat
F5 = Quick Save
F6 = Quick Load

W = Dialog Up
S = Dialog Down

Ctrl = Block
Space = Attack

My suggestion would be to keep everything as-is, but set Block and Attack to Mouse Right and Left.

What about using the up and down arrow keys for dialogue screens again?

Whatever people prefer. To me, using W and S does make sense. But it somehow feels strange after all these years. :facepalm

I agree it makes sense, though somehow the arrow keys seem a more natural choice to me. I don't really mind which is default, but if I had to choose, it would be the arrow keys.

So does that make it 2.5 (Hylie+Armada+1/2 of myself) vs. 0.5 (1/2 of myself) in favour of returning to the arrow keys for the dialogs?

LOL! We need some more input for tie breakers. Pieter, I don't know what drugs you are on, but I want some. :woot

I have been testing the controls before and I'm not sure how I want them to be, but the reason why Hylie's file is different regarding quicksave and quickload is because that change isn't included in any build version. See here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/the-loading-screen-tips.19572/page-4#post-442415

Since the teleport function is a stock game function I'd say keep it at F4 and change quicksave to F5 and quickload to F6.

Since the teleport function is a stock game function I'd say keep it at F4 and change quicksave to F5 and quickload to F6.
Wasn't that how it was set up in Beta 2.3 anyway? That's what I intend to set it at in any case. :yes

No, Beta 2.3 has quicksave at F4 and quickload at F5, with the teleport function not used. :)

EDIT: Nope, it is as you said, I just checked. My bad. :facepalm Strange that Hylie's file is different, then.

Really? I thought that teleport function was enabled as per Beta 2.3? Oh well; doesn't matter either way, does it? :razz

I edited my above post. Turns out I was mistaken. :p It is indeed like that in Beta 2.3. Strange about Hylie's file, though.

Back