• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release The loading screen tips

Ah, you posted when I edited.

Well, as I said, it's probably best to leave them out of this update, in case I don't manage to finish them this week. The original files don't fit the new loading screens so it's better to include the updated files later.

Sorry for the delay. :/

The tips are finished and available for download! I got delayed again, and I know it's too late for 2.3, but at least it's ready for 2.4.

I have moved them just below the "New Horizons" scroll and centered them, and adjusted some of them, and made some more suited for the Build Mod.

I changed "lower your sails" to "strike your sails" since that is the proper term, as I've understood it.

Since the one that was in double has been removed there are now 77 files, so the line in engine.ini should be "numoftips = 77".

Attachments

• Updated tips.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
Hey! A new avatar! :)

There will be other odds and ends added later as well. It seems a storm fix got missed.

That's excellent Baste, thanks very much! :doff

With things like this and other fixes popping up around the forum, I can easily see us releasing a mini-patch between now and Pieter's return from sea.

Hello;
I Just finished D/L the "New Horizons" mod and am having some difficulties with the graphics. Each time I install it, I get messed up graphics on the ships, grass, surrounding objects, and people. As well, the controls seem kinda wonky, but this may be something else entirely. I noticed that in the installation note, you mention that I need a clean install. Clean instal of which? AOP, COAS, or GOF? I have tried AOP and GOF, but for some reason, I seem to have lost the original files for COAS. I have tried to install with and without the graphics enhancement, to no avail. I have a fairly high end system, and have NEVER run into any problem before, so this has me very puzzled. I have gone through the config file and tried all of the various settings, as well as trying to set the compatibility to almost all the various Win. versions.
My system
Intel core2 duo @3.00 Ghz
4 GB ram
GEForce 9800 GT video card
Windows 7 Ultimate
any help here? or am I posting in the wrong section. Thanks all in advance

This is not the proper thread for this, but you are in the proper forum, I can see where you might get confused with the thread title.

The New Horizons mod is for the original Pirates of the Caribbean(POTC) only, not for Age of Pirates (AOP) or Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships(CoAS). The GOF mod is for CoAS only, we don't have any current mods for AOP and haven't had for many years.

It appears to me that you may have inadvertently installed the wrong mods for the wrong games. You will need to uninstall everything and start all over with a clean install of the game you are trying to mod. Do not install any of the games into their default Program Files directory, or you will have serious issues with Windows "security features". Install them to C:/Games/ or some other directory.

I can easily see us releasing a mini-patch between now and Pieter's return from sea.
If so please let me know because I have already some bugfixes ready.

With things like this and other fixes popping up around the forum, I can easily see us releasing a mini-patch between now and Pieter's return from sea.
By all means, go right ahead! Thanks for your efforts. :woot

hi again, thanks for the help on the last question I posted here. Again I may be in the wrong place, but this seems right this time. I am playing "Woodes Rogers" and have rescued Catherine K. and returned for the reward. I can do everything up until I get into the armoury. I need to get into the chest at the end of the counter (yes I peeked at the walkthrough for this part), but there seem to be two problems. 1 - if I step on the steplock, I get launched(?) over the counter to the powder room door. I am a little frustrated at this, and can't seem to find a way around the steplock. 2 - The walkthrough says that the chest is now clear of the piled up junk, but it is obviously not. I am assuming that the grumpy gunner guy is supposed to fire the cannon and that would clear the chest, but thats not happening. Am I missing a step here somewhere? I have followed the walkthrough, just to be sure I made all the steps right, but I still can't get to the chest, and even if I could, I doubt I could open it.
Thanks in advance

Have you visited the gunpowder supply yet?
In there you are supposed to pick up the powderflask & the ammobag and fill them up (12 each).
After that the monkey leaves and the gunner fires the cannon etc etc

hi again, thanks for the help on the last question I posted here. Again I may be in the wrong place, but this seems right this time.
Ah, this still isn't the right thread. It's about some gameplay tips that appear on the game's loading screens, not a place to ask for help.
In future, please use the appropriate storyline forum here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/categories/storylines.95/
My apologies for the confusion; it's not your fault. :oops:

Hey! A new avatar! :)
Yeah, I had the placeholder one for much longer than intended. At least this one is a little better.

Unfortunate that the thread name caused confusion. Should hopefully be okay now.

I noticed that F4 for teleport mode won't work since that key is also used for quicksave, so either the key for teleport mode needs to be changed or the key for quicksave needs to be changed.

I'd say change quicksave to F5 and quickload to F6, keeping teleport mode at F4. To make it work I changed this code in init_pc:
Code:
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F9        = 120;
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F9.img    = "f";
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F5        = 116;
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F5.img    = "a";
Into this:
Code:
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F9        = 120;
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F9.img    = "f";
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F5        = 116;
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F5.img    = "a";
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F6        = 117;
    objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F6.img    = "b";

Also, I suggest changing this code in the same file:
Code:
    // Main interface
    CI_CreateAndSetControls( "General", "MainMenu", CI_GetKeyCode(CTL_ACTIVATE_MAINMENU), 0, false );
Into this:
Code:
    // Main interface
    CI_CreateAndSetControls( "General", "MainMenu", CI_GetKeyCode(CTL_ACTIVATE_MAINMENU), 0, false );
    CI_CreateAndSetControls( "General", "MainMenuDouble", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_ESCAPE"), 0, false );
With this Esc can be used for opening the main menu as well.

I seem to remember MANY years ago enabeling Esc for the main menu, but then I disabled it again. But I can't remember why. There WAS a reason, that much I do know.... :facepalm

I thought it was because the file in the build is probably based on the file from the American version, in which Esc can't be used for opening the main menu. What could have been the reason? Did it interfere with something?

Can't quite remember now, but there was something that had some weird effects that made me decide to undo it again.
I think it may have been that it then closes AND opens menu's, so if you press it twice, you end up in the main menu.

Just noticed that tips_0033.tga.tx is showing wrong information:
If you want to slow down your enemy's ship,
use knippels to destroy its rigging and sails.
^ I don't think so! :whipa

It doesn't work like that in the Build Mod? Well, nobody told me anything about that tip so I included it that way. :p

Should I correct it, and if so how, or should I remove it?

Back