• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release The loading screen tips

Good to see you again, mate!

For the tips, I figure moving them to the top of the screen should be good enough.
Removing useless information and adding new Build-specific stuff would be a bonus, but not required.

Actually, moving them up isn't always going to work either. Some of the loading screens have the "PotC: New Horizons" logo at the top. :facepalm
Should we remove the logo from those generic screens? I always kind-of liked having them there... :(

I don't mind the tips at all, and have learned some things. Some of the info is outdated though, like the stuff about culverins.

Actually, moving them up isn't always going to work either. Some of the loading screens have the "PotC: New Horizons" logo at the top. :facepalm
Should we remove the logo from those generic screens? I always kind-of liked having them there... :(
Perhaps just moving them clear of the "Loading" scroll will do, then. That position is probably best.

Just for the sake of considering Build-specific tips for future inclusion: why not add one for using mines?
It was recently mentioned in another thread, which reminded me how well hidden that feature is. :facepalm

Likewise, Pieter. :yes

So, should I try moving them, or does someone else want to try, and where should they be moved to? Wouldn't moving them just above the "Loading" scroll cause them to be in the way of the actual image?

Might not be easy to fix. :/

Wherever they're moved, they'll always end up on top of the image. :facepalm

I tried moving them and this is what they look like moved from the bottom position to the corresponding top position. So, should they be moved just above the "Loading" scroll or just below the "New Horizons" scroll?

Attachments

• Moved tips 1.jpg
    Moved tips 1.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 66
  • Moved tips 2.jpg
    Moved tips 2.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 87
I think the top would probably be best. Most loading screens would have the main scenery at the bottom, I think.

This is what they look like both just below the "New Horizons" scroll and just above the "Loading" scroll, in corresponding positions. What do people say?

Attachments

• Moved tips top 1.jpg
    Moved tips top 1.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Moved tips top 2.jpg
    Moved tips top 2.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Moved tips bottom 1.jpg
    Moved tips bottom 1.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Moved tips bottom 2.jpg
    Moved tips bottom 2.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 59
The high version doesn't obstruct the image as much as the low version.

It looks like having the tips on the bottom puts them in the middle of the screen. Placing them at the top leaves more of the background viewable. They also look off center.

They also look off center.
True, centred would look better. But apparently when they original made those tip files for the Stock Game, they didn't bother centring them.
It can be done after all, but it is more work. :shrug

I just noticed this thread, and I just have to say this is awesome! :onya

Nice work mates, the loading screens and the teleport option will be a great addition! I also agree that the top version look better.

It seems we have settled on having them just below the "New Horizons" scroll, so should I move them there and center them like this?

Also, about adding new tips, there is some sort of shadow effect behind the text and it looks like this in the alpha channel. I would need some help with creating this shadow effect and to set up the alpha channel properly before I can add new tips.

Attachments

• Centered tips 1.jpg
    Centered tips 1.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Centered tips 2.jpg
    Centered tips 2.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Tips alpha.jpg
    Tips alpha.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 76
That positioning looks just right, to me. :onya

I see your point about the alpha channels. That's most annoying, because I'm not entirely sure how they managed that.
Which program are you using to modify the tips? I could only help with GIMP, I guess.

I'm using Photoshop CS, so hopefully the procedure is similar in both Photoshop and GIMP.

OK, I'll play around with a few settings in GIMP and let you know if I can figure anything out.

Well, I think I've managed to get a pretty close approximation. Here's what I did in GIMP:
1. Transfer the alpha channel to a layer mask, and delete it.
2. Use "select by colour" to select the black parts of the image, and delete them.
3. Create two new layers and place them beneath the first one.
4. Add the original layer's remaining alpha channel to a selection, and grow the selection by 2 pixels.
5. In the second layer, use a blend effect (a gradient from black to transparency), with the shape set to "Shaped (spherical)", on the selection, to create a subtle outline around the text.
6. With the same selection, expand it by 8 pixels, and feather the edges by 10 pixels.
7. In the third layer, use the same blend effect (but with "Shaped (angular)") on the selection, to create a background shadow.

The result can be seen in this before/after image, with a white background to highlight the shadow effects:
Tips_shadows1.jpg

I think it actually looks much neater than the original shadow. :cheeky

That looks good. Thanks for helping. :) I'll see if I can reproduce your result.

How would you go about in creating an entirely new tip, with alpha channel properly set up and all?

This is a list of all the tips, as written in the texture files:

Having a high Leadership skill will decrease the price of your crew's salary. It will also lower the price for hiring new crewmen in the taverns.

Your chance of successful boarding with the Instant Boarding ability depends on your Boarding and Luck skills.

Using your Special Abilities can often save the day in even the most hopeless battle situations.

Hire officers for your party that have different skills than your character. If you have a high Sailing skill, hire a Boatswain with high Melee and Boarding skills.

You can give different items to your officers. Just stand next to him and use the Exchange command from the quick menu.

Remember that you can Use an Item while you're holding the block button. This allows you to use potions to recover health in critical situations.

When an enemy is approaching you from a distance, you can shoot him with your pistol. Just remember that distance decreases your accuracy and damage.

If you get poisoned - use an Antidote or a Mixture to heal yourself.

Powerful new weapons will be available from the vendors when you reach the higher ranks.

Firing from on-deck with manual aiming greatly improves your salvo accuracy. Just remember to arc your cannon-shots.

Buy goods from where they are exported and sell them where they are imported. This will bring you a tidy profit even if you don't have a high Commerce skill.

Be careful in the dungeons! You can find valuable booty there, but you can also find your doom!

Don't forget to save often! You never know what may surprise you from behind the next stone, tree, or cliff.

When fighting multiple foes in melee combat, don't let them surround you. Try to find a narrow place to restrict their movement and avoid becoming trapped.

Use your pistol often! Picking off an enemy from a distance may save your life. That is, if he doesn't pick you off first!

You can use the various healing potions and mixtures to heal yourself if you get wounded.

Naval officers can sometimes be found in the taverns around the archipelago.

Having loyal officers by your side may mean the difference between victory and defeat in a tough fight.

Your officers gain experience just as you do. You can distribute their skill and ability points on the character screen.

You can exchange equipment like guns and swords with your officers. To do this, stand in front of your officer and select the Exchange icon from the quick menu.

You can assign your officers to command additional ships that you buy or capture. Having your own armada often helps in those tricky pirate encounters.

The archipelago is a vast place with many treasures waiting to be found and mysteries to be solved. Explore it all and you will be rewarded for your curiosity.

Talk to people everywhere. You will often learn information of great value.

Sailing vessels rely on wind for propulsion. Always pay attention to the arrow on your mini-map as it shows the wind's current direction. Align your ship so the arrow faces upwards, and you will increase your ship's speed.

Speed is essential for successful naval combat. If you are faster than your enemy, you dictate the range-of-engagement. You can also escape if things start to look grim.

When fighting multiple ships, try to maneuver so that one of them obstructs the other's line-of-fire. If you're lucky, they may damage each other.

When you sink a ship, some of the cargo remains afloat where it sank. You can collect this booty by sailing over it with your ship.

The cannons on your ship are hard-mounted to the deck. So, you must align your ship so that the cannons face their target in order to fire.

Most of a ship's cannons are concentrated on the sides, so maneuvering for better cannon position is crucial for success in naval combat.

Cannons tend to have a shorter range than culverines, but they deal more damage.

When fighting a fort, you might want to install cannons on your ship rather than culverines, since the fort will outrange you with heavy artillery.

Cannonballs are the basic cannon ammunition. They may do less damage than some of the other ammo types, but they are cheap and have a good range.

Grapes have a devastating effect on the enemy ship's crew, but they have a short range. You'll have to get close to the enemy ship for them to be effective.

If you want to slow down your enemy ship, use knippels to destroy its rigging and sails.

Bombs tend to do nasty things to the enemy ship's hull and crew, but they're quite expensive.

To board an enemy ship, you need to get very close to her, align your ship to be parallel, and match your speed to hers.

The Grappling skill and several of the special abilities will greatly improve your chances of boarding.

Boarding an enemy ship is a great battle strategy. If you are successful, you get both the cargo and the ship, to do with as you please.

Most large ships have large crews and may be difficult to overcome in battle, especially if you are short on crew.

You can buy many useful items such as weapons and potions from the vendors in the streets. They will also buy any valuable treasures you may have found during your travels.

Trade may become very profitable if you take the time to find good trade routes.

Having several ships in your fleet not only helps in combat, but in trading too. The more cargo you can haul, the higher your profits will be.

You can use your handy Command Menu to travel quickly between key town locations such as the tavern, port, or store.

You can use your Command Menu to sail quickly to different parts of an island if you are near it.

You can use your Command Menu to sail quickly to different ships that are near you.

If you happen to get caught in a storm, always try to sail either downwind or upwind. Your ship will suffer less damage that way. The less damage you take, the higher your experience bonus will be.

When caught in a storm lower your sails to reduce damage to them.

If you see a storm coming your way while sailing in map mode, you may still have a chance to outrun it.

While avoiding a storm may require an undesirable change of course, being ripped apart by a tornado is not exactly pleasant either.

You can remove your valued officers from active duty before a tough battle to avoid the risk of loosing them. You can remove your officers on the 'Passengers' screen.

Keep in mind that the crew that you hire in the tavern may have different morale than your current crew. For example, if you hire new crewmen with lower morale than your crew, they will lower the morale of your whole crew.

You can raise the morale of your crew, but it will cost you some gold. You can do so from your 'Ship' menu.

You can't open doors with your sword drawn. Sheathe your weapon before using doors.

Some the abilities that you can acquire work only for a short time, and need to be activated from the Command Menu.

If you kill innocent people or commit similar evil deeds, your reputation will be lowered. Earn a low reputation, and some people will refuse to deal with you.

If you manage to earn a very low reputation, you'll find punitive squadrons chasing you all around the archipelago.

You can raise your reputation by completing certain quests or donating money to the church. The latter is easier, but also quite expensive.

If you repeatedly sink ships of any nation, that nation will declare you their enemy, and the next time you go near their fort, you'll be greeted with cannon fire.

If you want to improve relations with a nation, you'll need to find a Diplomat. For a hefty sum these people may help you improve your relations with a nation.

Smuggling is one of many ways to make some quick cash. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk of being caught by the proper authorities.

Whenever you need information, or are looking for someone, got to the nearest tavern and talk to the innkeeper. These people know a lot about what's going on in the archipelago.

The Leadership skill is important for any captain. It affects the price at which you hire crew and the salary you pay them.

High Leadership will reduce the morale penalties when not paying your crew their salary.

Having high Leadership is important for hiring better officers and successfully persuading certain game characters to see things your way.

The Melee Combat skill affects the amount of damage you deal with your blows, as well as your chance of blocking enemy blows and piercing his blocks.

The Sailing skill affects the maneuverability of your ship and the speed of setting and lowering sails.

The Accuracy skill represents the accuracy of your cannon fire.

The higher your Cannon skill, the less time it takes your crew to reload your cannons, and the more coordinated their salvo will be.

The Grappling skill affects the maximum range at which you can board an enemy ship. The higher your skill, the longer the range will be.

Having a high Leadership skill will decrease the price of your crew's salary. It will also lower the price for hiring new crewmen in the taverns.

The Repair skill affects the percentage of your ship's hull and sails that you can repair while at sea, as well as the amount of materials needed to do so.

The Defense skill represents how good you are at keeping your crew alive under fire. A high Defense skill means lower crew casualties from hostile fire.

The Commerce skill represents how good you are at trading and haggling.

A high Commerce skill will yield you better prices from the stores and vendors. It also provides you with the financial means to persuade certain game characters to do your bidding.

The Luck skill represents how lucky your character will be throughout the game.

Being lucky helps you in random encounters.

Being lucky is useful when gambling in the taverns and smuggling contraband between islands.

Paying to spend the night in a tavern restores your character's health, but doesn't cure him from nasty poisons.

I can see that some of these should be adjusted, and one is even in double. Does anyone think any of these should be adjusted or removed?

How would you go about in creating an entirely new tip, with alpha channel properly set up and all?
Well in GIMP you would start with a new file with a white background (512x512 pixels), and exchange the white for an alpha channel (Colour to alpha).
You would then add the relevant text (the difficult bit here would be using the right font and text colour) as its own layer.
You can then use that text layer's alpha channel as a selection, and pick up the rest of the steps from there.

That's a very long list of all the tips! I'll have a look through them tomorrow to comment on them.

Back