• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release The loading screen tips

Knippels are for crew. Chainshot is for the rigging. Looks like the original game developers were a little... confused. :wp

Aren't knippels and chain shot the same thing and used for rigging and sails, while grapes are used for crew? At least that's how I've understood it.

AGH! You're right. I'm mixing up my terms. Indeed GRAPE is the crew one. :oops:

Is the term "knippels" even used in the Build Mod, though? I could change the tip to say "chain shot" instead of "knippels" if it would make it more clear.

Looks like it has been renamed to Chainshot:
Code:
string = Knippels,"Chainshot"

If you look at the cargo in game it shows a picture of knippels but calls them chainshot. :facepalm

Technically that indeed isn't chainshot on account of it not having chains between the balls. But they ARE for taking down masts and rigging.

Actually, maybe THAT is where my confusion comes from. Knipples IS against riggins. As is Chainshot.
Knipples are the solid ones and chainshot is with the chain between two balls.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the age of sail and ships, but could it be that knippels is a term that refers to both chain shot and bar shot? If so, it should say "knippels" in the game and the tip to refer to both types.

I just found this function scattered around the game code:
Code:
SetReloadNextTipsImage();
If we put an if-statement around it, we can probably disable the loading screen tips through code.
If that works, that means we could put a proper toggle on it. Anyone got any thoughts if we can link that in with something?
I was thinking the "Dynamic Interfaces" function in the Options menu; that has been used for similar stuff.
Though I remember Jack Rackham wanting it disabled for his storyline specifically. So we could also make it difficulty-dependent.

Can someone let me know if they still see tips during reloads in their game?
They seem to have disappeared for me and I've got no clue if it is something I did these past few days or if it applies to other people as well.
I'm confused. o_O

Can someone let me know if they still see tips during reloads in their game?
They seem to have disappeared for me and I've got no clue if it is something I did these past few days or if it applies to other people as well.
I'm confused. o_O
Yup! They're still there. Clipboard01.jpg (Latest Beta Version)

Last edited:
Peculiar. Could you possibly zip up your PROGRAM folder and post it somewhere? And your engine.ini as well?
I don't have access to my clean Beta 3.1 files until the weekend. :facepalm

I get the loading screen tips. Always have since you installed them. I thought I saw an on-off for them somewhere.

Got it! Thanks a lot. :doff

I get the loading screen tips. Always have since you installed them. I thought I saw an on-off for them somewhere.
It is in engine.ini with the numoftips line. Except that I have it ON and they're still not showing.
I'm trying to set up an ingame toggle, but I can't test it if they're never there. :facepalm

You have that set to "0" and you're STILL getting those tips? Uh? WHA!?! o_O

Back