• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

new horizons thoughts

ntnsvcg

Landlubber
Mod is very well done. I love it. Storyline with two twins is SWEET. I am still learning how to do normal versus realistic.... I have a lot of trouble in realistic. It seams easier to assault ships than destroy ships.... kinda. I don't know if it is intended to be that way. But seriously, buying upgrades and making 4 killers officer crew flat out boarding ships seams easier than ship to ship combat. 1-2 full blasts from shrapnel and assault is like a walk in the park. Also killing captain is the easiest part. I am not doing iron man or anything like that tho. Either way thank you guys for this great mod.

:ahoy

Indeed it is easier to board than engage in a gunnery duel. Boarding was the preferred method of attack. Yes, with great officers and crew it is almost too easy to take a ship. It gets dicey with just regular Joe's.

Realistic is just that. The ships sail like they really did. The more you learn about sailing the bigger your advantage over the other guy.

It is really very difficult to sink a wooden vessel. Even after receiving a pounding from cannon, most remained quite seaworthy unless they were struck and holed multiple times below the waterline. Which by the way, is not that easy to do, once a cannon ball hits water it looses a lot of velocity. The best way to sink a vessel was to board her, get below decks and chop or drill holes in the hull, or set a fire to scuttle her. Might as well do a bit of plundering while your there! :onya

Most sea battles lasted all day, the engagements certainly weren’t over in a matter of minutes as some other games would have you believe. Some would literally last days. The story of the English race built galleon Revenge is good one to give you an example of just how difficult it could be to actually board a ship, and just what kind of pounding a wooden vessel can take. The poem "The One and Fifty Three" by Tennyson is well worth reading as well!

Back