• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Pirates RPG - Seas of Vengeance - WIP

SCHAPS

Powder Monkey
Hi there,
I have just started working on a new game called Seas of Vengeance.
I will post some videos and screenshots soon, but to tell you about some of the features in the game currently, and to be inputted soon:
1. Map mode inspired by Mount and Blade with many Islands. Islands belong to different factions and you can even create your own faction and capture an Island later on - Semi - Completed
2. Semi-realistic buoyancy system with a more arcady sailing system (kinda like AC: Black Flag) - Completed
3. Fast Paced sword fighting with lots of blood - Semi-Completed
4. Eventual multiplayer support for a massive player-driven world. - WIP
5. Realistic economy system, trading, city building elements - WIP
If you like the idea keep checking this thread, I will probably post a screenshot once a week or so.
If I am not able to carry on with the project, I'll release all the assets, scripts etc for anyone who might want to continue to use.

Ahoy Schaps, welcome aboard mate. I missed your post a couple of weeks ago, looking forward to see your progress, and your pics and videos of course!

Yeh I will be posting soon, just finalising some stuff. I don't suppose you know where to get 3d ship models for free? I have 2 so far but obviously I need to get more for a naval game

There are some free 3D models out there, most ship models are newer ships and boats though. The few free sailing vessels out there are nowhere near to being accurate.

Hi guys,
here's a quick update for you. I have just moved from UE4 from Unity 5 which has set my progress down a little, but I hope to get to the same spot within a week or two! I am loving UE4's landscape editor so I brought a quick video showing you what it might be like to explore a tropical jungle in the future, please note the island you see is a concept and subject to a lot of change before it is in the game. The ship you see is quite early alpha and I will be replacing the cannons with separate cannon models and replacing the sails with cloth materials. The water you see is also a place holder, I am having to remake the realistic water with buoyancy that I had in Unity for Unreal so for now the water you see is simply a plane with a water material that has an adjusting bump map to simulate waves.
Enjoy and please give me feedback :)

Hey guys new update coming today possibly, first Island almost completely flushed out. I am gonna be showing the questing system and also the navigation system. Basically it works the same away as Age of Pirates/Mount and Blade/POTC where there is a map navigation mode to speed sailing up, and when you get near to an enemy or an island you go into the realistic sailing instance of that location

Hi all, new update coming now of the dynamic water and also the ship and cannon interaction. Tomorrow I am posting an even bigger update -- the navigation system (as in around the map like you would in POTC) and 2 of the islands made so far -- the volcanic ash covered island that will be home to a lot of treasure but also a lot of danger, and the lush, tropical island. Within the next few weeks I will be building the first proper port island, I am also beginning to make the UI for some of the inventory systems, shop systems etc and I might showcase going into a shop and purchasing a weapon. At the moment, if anyone wants to help the progress, the team is solely individual at the moment but later down the road I will allow people to join in with the development. If you do want to help the best you could probably do is help me out with 3d modelling of ships, buildings and characters. Anyway please give me feedback as I will try to implement any features you suggest.

Hi Mirsaneli, yes I am developing this by myself. I am currently doing my gcses so I doubt this game will be finished within the next 6 months, but within a year or two I do expect to finish it. Also with the growing community on unreal engine, it is making it easier than ever to make games in your own. For instance the entire boyouncy system I got from a free communal pack and I have managed to get countless assets and scripts for free from the community.
I do understand it may sound far - fetched, especially at my younger age, but as I said at the beginning of the thread, I will be releasing all the files so someone with more time can finish it if I am not able to.

Doing the game all yourself is going to be quite a challenge! You have a pretty good start though. Thanks for the update! :onya

Hi Mirsaneli, yes I am developing this by myself. I am currently doing my gcses so I doubt this game will be finished within the next 6 months, but within a year or two I do expect to finish it. Also with the growing community on unreal engine, it is making it easier than ever to make games in your own. For instance the entire boyouncy system I got from a free communal pack and I have managed to get countless assets and scripts for free from the community.
I do understand it may sound far - fetched, especially at my younger age, but as I said at the beginning of the thread, I will be releasing all the files so someone with more time can finish it if I am not able to.

Unreal engine is a good engine. Are you using Unreal Engine 3?

Unreal engine is a good engine. Are you using Unreal Engine 3?
I started the project on Unity 5 but I then moved over to Unreal Engine 4 for multiple reasons:
UE4 has a very powerful visual scriptîng system that is so good entire games have been made with it
UE4 has an incredible materials editor that allows almost any type of material to be made.
UE4 has a much better standard shader and overall real time lighting is a lot better.
UE4 has a very large marketplace where I can get tons of stuff for my game when I get the money.
If you want to see the beautiful graphics of UE4 watch my first dev episode where I show a work in progress tropical island

Doing the game all yourself is going to be quite a challenge! You have a pretty good start though. Thanks for the update! :onya
Yeh it is quite a challenge but being an avid computer geek as well as sailing geek, it's something I am willing to try
Furthermore, I already have the entire ocean system done, the cannons are done and the ship controller is done. I still have a lot to do but some of the most difficult and time consuming systems are already complete.
Plus I want a new POTC so I decided to try and make it myself.

You do know that is pretty much why Hearts of Oak exists, right? ;)
Yes and I think Hearts of Oak is an awesome game, but the more pirate games the better right? There are a lot more than 1 fps game so why can't there be room for many naval rpg games?

Yes and I think Hearts of Oak is an awesome game, but the more pirate games the better right?
I have always hoped the very, very opposite. More people willing to work together on the same project means a much larger chance of success and faster development.
It is like there are a whole bunch of separate people, all trying to reinvent the same wheel. Seems like such a waste to me. But so be it. :shrug

Back