• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Pirates RPG - Seas of Vengeance - WIP

I completely understand where you're coming from, but I am using UE4 and other projects are using Unity. I do agree though, it would be better if everyone teamed up that way progress would be exponentially quicker, we would have a lot more ship models and an overly better chance of success.

I have always hoped the very, very opposite. More people willing to work together on the same project means a much larger chance of success and faster development.
It is like there are a whole bunch of separate people, all trying to reinvent the same wheel. Seems like such a waste to me. But so be it. :shrug

I also agree with Pieter. Just take a look at the project called Traction Wars. It's a community of programmers and WW II lovers who are working very hard to make the best WW II simulator game out there. I think you could do more putting your effort into Hearts of Oak, even though I do agree that Unreal Engine 4 is a better solution. However, regarding my current PC specs, seems to be that Hearts 0f Oak will be less demanding in terms of PC specifications...

Hi all,
another game update is coming soon -- showing off a multiplayer arena mode that will be open to early access and will be a casual mode you can play on release - Note this is just a casual mode, there is also going to be a large scale singleplayer mode.
However, if you wish to stay more in contact with the Seas of Vengeance project head over to my website at www.schaps-studios.com and then click on the Seas of Vengeance project page. Note this website is still in development and that is why it looks terrible. Also join the community forums to have a larger say in what features are to be in the game. Note I will still be posting in this thread and on youtube, but there will be more detail on the official website for the project.
Also applications for early access will be coming soon -- we first have to gather a small amount of donations however to get some more ship models for the game.
Anyway, that's it for this update. I will be showcasing loads of more stuff very shortly.
Regards,
SCHAPS

We tried the Unreal Engine first, along with a couple of others. While it does do some things quite well, other things are not quite as good, we chose Unity because it has a good balance and should allow us to do everything that we want to accomplish. Your project is aiming for a bit different style though, so it may work better for you. Fair winds mate.

I am the opposite. I started with Unity but since I am pretty much no budget I had to use the free version of Unity which is not particularly good. I then moved to Unreal Engine and in my opinion it is a far superior engine in terms of technology and features. Have you tried the landscape editor? It comes already packed with releastic hydroerosion and erosion brushes while in Unity you have to pay for those tools on the marketplace

That is one reason that we tried Unreal first, because it is supposed to be more advanced, but as I said, there are some things it just didn't work well for. @Captain Murphy would know far more about that than myself. he mentions most of them in his development videos I believe. Yes, I believe the Dev team did try the landscape editor, I am not directly part of the development, but I work closely with them.

You are certainly correct about having to buy certain assets, we had a donation campaign a while back to purchase the assets that we needed. Hopefully we will not have to do that again, but we will do what we have to do.

Yeh I hate asking for donations but I cannot model and ship models are incredibly expensive due to how much time people spend making them. My main issue with Unity is that you have to pay money for a lot of stuff that should really be including. For instance with Unreal I got an amazing water material for free, when I was using Unity the standard ones were not particularly nice and I would have to pay money to get the Sumino one which from what I knew was the best on the marketplace. Anyway, I thought Hearts of Oak started on CryEngine no?

We tried Cryengine, yes, but we also tried Unreal as well before that, I believe. We also tried Ogre 3D as well, which is the one I really wanted to use, as it is all open source. Unfortunately it was just not advanced enough for what we needed.

@Hammie was the one who did the Unreal development.
As I remember if, one of the biggest issue with it was that it was unable to update the weather in mid scene.
Which is rather crucial for a sailing game. :facepalm

I see, I've managed to get a persistant weather system through the use of a dynamic skybox. It even goes as dynamic as having snow, hail, rain and lightning flashes. Also it live updates the wind depending on the weather which also affects the water, this allows for some very releastic and atmospheric storm situations with massive amounts of wind, tons of rain, lightning, dark clouds, extremely wavy water etc

Unreal has come quite a long way since HoO was first evaluated with it. It still lacks the speed in development that Unity has, though. Also, the ability to code in C# is a massive gain over base C++ in terms of variable handling, garbage collection, and more. It also helps with documentation since the amount for C# is around double for C++ now. Since HoO was relying on volunteers for the base of coders (and many of them inexperienced) it was a better route to go with C# than C++ in terms of complexity, tutorials available, examples in the wild, and community support. There were plenty of factors that came into play, but complexity and iteration time were the two most pressing with all other factors being about the same. Both engines can make the same game (lighting is comparable, fps is comparable, effects are comparable), but the least complex will win when having to herd cats for the results!

@Hammie was the one who did the Unreal development.
As I remember if, one of the biggest issue with it was that it was unable to update the weather in mid scene.
Which is rather crucial for a sailing game. :facepalm
Unreal has undoubtedly come a long way since we used it, when it was under the "UDK" moniker. Although I haven't used UE4 yet (and will be covering it alongside Unity for my degree), from what I hear, it can trade blows with Unity all day long.

The important thing is that both engines can produce equally good results, nowadays. It seems to be more about personal preference than feature disparity now, which is great for indie developers.

Unreal has undoubtedly come a long way since we used it, when it was under the "UDK" moniker. Although I haven't used UE4 yet (and will be covering it alongside Unity for my degree), from what I hear, it can trade blows with Unity all day long.

The important thing is that both engines can produce equally good results, nowadays. It seems to be more about personal preference than feature disparity now, which is great for indie developers.
That pretty well sums it up. Both engines are very capable now. I do like that Unity free has pushed their envelope further into the PBR/PBL spectrum to begin to rival the lighting in Unreal. I am just glad we got away from CryEngine before it took the game down with it.

Unreal has undoubtedly come a long way since we used it, when it was under the "UDK" moniker.
Yes, it was a long time ago. So indeed whatever limitations applied then don't necessarily need to apply anymore now anymore.

That pretty well sums it up. Both engines are very capable now. I do like that Unity free has pushed their envelope further into the PBR/PBL spectrum to begin to rival the lighting in Unreal. I am just glad we got away from CryEngine before it took the game down with it.

From what I see, games developed with Unity seem to be less requiring in terms of system performance than those made with Unreal engine. I don't know what will be the case with HoO, but the graphics seem very detailed from what I've seen on the official videos on the website.

Hmm you could say that, but also Unity can be create inefficient and create laggy games. Also Unreal Engine has tools to use less intensive shading or setup lighting instead of using realtime lighting which would be much less intensive

Hey does anyone have any recommendations of good places to get highly detailed 3d sailing ships from, preferably with interiors?

Are you making a naval battle game, or RPG? Cause if you are making and RPG, I must admit that I admire your effort. I really don't understand how are you going to make a whole RPG game with all the quests and game world just by yourself. Good luck with that anyway :)

Hi Mirsaneli.
To answer your question I have a vision in my mind of an RPG game but different to your classic RPG game with tons of quests and levels that take thousands of hours to make. I am thinking more like Mount and Blade styled RPG where there are 20 or so quest templates for instance "deliver message to person in this city" and the location and person will change each time. But the RPG is less focussed on the simple questing and is more focussed on building a crew up, getting a better ship, getting treasure and selling it on, choosing a role within the world. For instance I want the player to be able to become a merchant, a pirate, a privateer, a naval officer for one of the factions within the game or make his/her own faction and start taking over islands like you could in Mount and Blades. Now this mode will most likely start off singleplayer, but I intent to make this into multiplayer as I think the experience would be incredible.
However, at the moment so early into development I am definitely not making this RPG yet. At the moment I am still flushing out the most primal of mechanics -- shooting, using cannons, sailing, multiplayer connectivity, destruction, dynamic between wind, water speed and boat speed etc etc. I am currently working on these mechanics while also working on the arena mode. The arena mode will be a mode released to the Seas of Vengeance community members and will be similar to what Blackwake is. Players will be able to sail boats of different sizes testing them out while having fun arena based naval combat. This will be featured as a side multiplayer feature in the final game.
Hopefully I have answered your question sufficiently, but if I haven't more information will be at my website www.schaps-studios.com when it is fully setup.
Btw just a side note, although I am starting this game off by myself, when the community I intend to setup is large enough I plan to have applications for people to become developers for the project. I am in specific need of modellers as at the moment I am at the mercy of what free ship models I am able to scavange off the internet

Back