• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Pirates RPG - Seas of Vengeance - WIP

Aside from this,
new update video!
I have recently moved to Unity 5 as I have had some problems with Unreal Engine -- mainly that I simply feel more comfortable in coding C# and JS and I feel I can make more progress with Unity than UE4 even though I am sad that I have to abandon the incredible visuals that UE4 can present.
If you want to join the project for Seas of Vengeance.
Sign up on the forums at www.schaps-studios.com and click on the seas of vengeance page. Note the forum isn't fully setup yet.
Regards,
SCHAPS

Your video is still processing, so I'll check it out later.

Unreal does indeed have some great visuals, but I think you will find that Unity is just as capable, though it may require a bit more work to achieve some results. Good luck with your community mate, just a word of caution though, don't expect immediate success. It takes quite a lot of work to build a community, and we at least had the advantage of having a Sea Dogs following to build off of. Of course, Disney's movies helped a bit there as well. We have been around for over 12 years and we have had a relatively small number of ship modelers, and animators and character artists have been far fewer. Good luck in your endeavors! :cheers

Yeh I completely understand that, I have been apart of communities before and remember waiting day after day only getting a few more members that quickly left. But it's more about the game really then setting up a community as the community would simply be around the game

So..... now you'll be making your PotC-like game in Unity 5? As in: Exactly what the Hearts of Oak team is trying to accomplish?

Is your game meant to be commercial? If so, I understand about keeping them separate. But if you want to make it free, you should DEFINITELY consider joining forces.
And maybe there can be some cooperation one way or another? No point repeatedly inventing semi-circular wheels side-by-side.
Might as well invent one round together and use it everywhere we need stuff rolling. ;)

I think there are now then five Unity-based piratey games being worked on:
1 - Hearts of Oak, free RPG, originally PotC-inspired
2 - Letters of Marque, commercial multi-player game developed by some former HoO team members
3 - Blackwake: Players play as different crewmembers on the same ship
4 - Naval Action!, commercial multi-player game
5 - Your own game now

There has and still is some cooperation between the first three of that list. You may want to become a fourth one there. ;)

As for a community: I have always offered different game developers to use PiratesAhoy! as a promotional platform.
We can set up a subforum for you here, just like we've done for other games. And if you have stuff to post, we can post it to our various profiles too.

After all, we're all for supporting each other here! :onya

Hi there!
I currently don't have plans to make this game commercial. I intend to release this game completely free although saying that, this game is no budget and therefore for it to finish with all the content that people would want in it, I am relying on people supporting the game. I am more than happy to cooperate with Hearts of Oak and also using PiratesAhoy as a promotional platform :) I completely agree with you, ot make the awesome pirate game we have all wanted we should definitely support each other. One thing that does set my game slightly different is that it is going to follow a similar navigation system to Mount and Blade -- which will be shown in the latest dev video coming in the next few minutes. But I am more than happy to cooperate with Hearts of Oak if they are interested.

Hey,
Episode 4 of the development vlog series. Two episodes in one day! This episode is focussing on the prototype I have created for the navigation. Note although you can travel about on the world map like this, just like in POTC you can sail about on the ocean at any time by simply entering the sailing instance.
Please subscribe to the channel if you haven't already and I am listening to all feedback so if you have a suggeston, don't be shy to share it!

Also note everything you see in the video is a placeholder. The cubes will be replaced with islands, the rectangle will be replaced with a ship model and the island you see at the end is going to be replaced with one of the islands I am creating with far more detail

One thing that does set my game slightly different is that it is going to follow a similar navigation system to Mount and Blade -- which will be shown in the latest dev video coming in the next few minutes.
I'm not entirely sure how that might be different from HoO.
If it is similar to PotC, eg. some sort of "map" plus "3D mode" to travel between islands, it sounds very compatible with the intentions for HoO. :yes

Yeh that's pretty much it, if you look on the video I uploaded a minute ago. It basically works on a set of instances. If you are sailing around in POTC and choose to sail freely away from the world map view, it won't put you into the persistant open world ocean, it will put you in an instance depending on where you are sailing. So if you are sailing in a stormy area, it will drop you in a stormy ocean instance. So that way it makes it appear as if there is a massive open world to explore, when in reality it is just a set of instances

I'm not entirely sure how that might be different from HoO.
If it is similar to PotC, eg. some sort of "map" plus "3D mode" to travel between islands, it sounds very compatible with the intentions for HoO. :yes
From what I had gathered, that is pretty much the configuration that had been decided on for a MVP version of HoO. Simplified, repeatable quests. Simplified world navigation (with real time sailing as an option).

Regardless of how you structure the 'open world' you are always working from a set of scenes that you are stitching together unless you work from dynamic data that is populated from a database entirely. As much fun as procedural generation is, it is a massive burden on the programming team. It also leaves a lot to be desired when getting into the details of a world since you don't let the artists really 'tune' the scenes to their liking.

Since you are not doing a commercial venture, I would highly recommend working with the HoO team on it rather than starting from scratch. It will cut the time to get results down drastically for both parties. It also opens up access to a lot more art and assets that would normally not be available or would be expensive to do alone (coming from someone that has a LOT of assets purchased out of pocket for our game and donated to HoO).

For your reference, this may be an interesting read: At a Glance: First Game Concept feature - Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas
That is an article I wrote when the HoO project was first started and shows the philosophy that we had in mind at that time.
Of course not everything is the same by now, but the "one pirate game to best them all" intention is still there.

If you know PotC and especially if you're familiar with our work on the New Horizons mod for it,
you have a fairly good idea of what we'd wish HoO to accomplish.

Hmmm, I've been intrigued. Perhaps I will apply to Hearts of Oak

You are certainly most welcome to apply! As Captain Murphy pointed out above, we are basically working on almost the same game already, the more people we have working together, the faster we can get the game that we all want! :onya

Back