• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved New to PotC and New Horizons

shakey2

Landlubber
I wasn't sure if this belonged in the PotC forum or in the build mod forum, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. As the title says I'm new to this game and the mod, and I'm looking for some advice. I picked up the game and the mod before playing the vanilla game because I had read the game wasn't that great by itself and the mod made it much better. My experience with sailing sims is Sid Meier's Pirates and a handful of sailing MMOs (uncharted waters online, voyage century, and one other whose name evades me).

I'm looking for some advice on where to start with this game/mod. There are quite a few scenarios and I have no idea which to choose first.

Choose the Nathaniel Hawk storyline for sure; that one starts with a tutorial that explains the basics of the game.
After you're familiar with the basics, it all depends on what kind of gameplay you would like.
A lot is possible with more features being worked on for Build 14 Beta 3.5 as well.
If you have any wishes, post them here and we can point you towards the storyline and gameplay options that you might like.

If you want to stick to Build 14 Beta 3.4 for now, which is the latest public release, be sure to get the fix attached here as well:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-4-release.24486/

We usually recommend playing the unmodded game at least for a little bit so you can see the difference.
Several mod-added features are based on Sid Meier's Pirates! as well, so those should seem familiar to you.

There are several places you can find information, such as:
- Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/frequently-asked-questions.14915/
- Documentation\New Horizons Manual.pdf in your game folder (somewhat outdated and not always correct, but still a good read)
- Ingame Tips & Tricks Interface

And of course, when in doubt, you can post any question here and we'll answer as soon as we're able to.

I like building my way up from the bottom eventually leading to world conquest. If possible putting everything under my own flag, if not then making one nation control everything. Also if it's something with story I prefer something completed, I really hate a half finished storyline.

Just about all storylines allow you to capture towns and take them for yourself.
You should probably avoid:
- Devlin Opera: Not finished
- The Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower: Naval gameplay doesn't allow normal free play
- Woodes Rogers is completely different from any of the others

Then you can choose whether you want to have free play only or to have a storyline to follow too.
Keep an eye on the bottom line in the Select Storyline interface.

If you do want a storyline, the Nathaniel Hawk one is a good place to start as that one has all the sidequests too.
If you don't want a storyline, you may consider Brave Black Flag too.
Assassin and Bartolomeu are fairly linear. Jack Sparrow is good to use too, but that depends on how much you care for the PotC films.

This is all fairly different in the Beta 3.5 WIP we are currently working on. There are less storylines in the next version,
but there is now one Free Play storyline that allows you to set up your own starting scenario.
Plus the sidequests are now available in ALL storylines instead of just some.
But since that is still a WIP, you might want to skip on it until you're a bit more familiar with the game.
If you are interested, however, check the link in my signature for details and the download link. :doff

Maybe if the folder BraveBlackFlag could be named FreePlay?
I'll definitely be doing that for the Beta 3.5 release; might actually do it with whatever new EXE installer I make.
The name isn't actually displayed anywhere, but it being used in the code is indeed still a bit confusing.
Especially now that I put some exceptions for it in the Select Storyline Interface code.

That part about them being friendly with the pirates is a very rare bug. I don't know if there is a cure for that one.

Errr. Apparently that post went into the wrong thread. :shrug

I was talking about a rare bug where everybody goes friendly with everyone else including pirates. Someone somewhere around here just ran into that issue. :keith

Ah, yes. Apparently that does happen sometimes, but not often. :modding

Back