• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New to the adventure. Any keyboard layouts?

Skeletor9292

Landlubber
Hello I'm new here just found out about this and dove in,
Question 1 is there a keyboard map being a lil old school these help me tremendously or any control thread haven't been able to find one.
Question 2 when creating my character I noticed a variety of fun backrounds to start with, was curious about starting cursed does this give me a quest line to remove said curse and if I select say naval officer could I become cursed lolol

This seems to be a very well put together mod cheers.

is there a keyboard map
There is a list of keys used, but nobody ever made a map picture.

was curious about starting cursed
Might not be the best background for a first ever character... :wp

You can lift the curse if you can figure out a way to get rid of that coin you start with.
Once you know how to do that, it's not much of a challenge.

Originally it was meant more as an Easter Egg than anything else.
We expanded on that quite a bit.

if I select say naval officer could I become cursed
Yes, you can.
In some storylines through random bad luck.
But mostly by doing the 'lift the curse' trick in reverse.

This seems to be a very well put together mod cheers.
Thanks for the positive feedback!
Indeed a lot of people put in a lot of thought and effort.
And there's been a lot of polishing over the past few years.

I won't claim it's perfect, but still an impressive collection if you ask me.

I'll be curious to hear how you like it after you've gotten into it a bit. :woot

There is a list of keys used, but nobody ever made a map picture.
Is there not "DOCUMENTATION\Default Key Assignments.txt"?

You can lift the curse if you can figure out a way to get rid of that coin you start with.
Once you know how to do that, it's not much of a challenge.
It's not quite that easy if you start as a cursed character. You already know where to take the coins (it's mentioned in the initial entry of your ship's log). You can already find it because you start with the required special item.

But I said "coins". Plural. There are some more in your weapons locker. And, as you'll have learned from talking to your officer, there are some more which are not in your weapons locker. They're not in the chest on the special island either. You'll just have to look for them in any random chests which you find...

If you are playing in "Arcade" mode, you can start as a naval officer or any other character type, and you'll be cursed if you find a coin in any random chest. In "Realistic" mode, random coins in chests should be harmless and you will indeed need to find the special island if you want to trigger the curse.

Is there not "DOCUMENTATION\Default Key Assignments.txt"?
Yes there is.

I took "map" to mean "picture showing all the keys".

there are some more which are not in your weapons locker. They're not in the chest on the special island either. You'll just have to look for them in any random chests which you find...
Oh, I had forgotten I did that!
But you're right; that does make it a bit more challenging.
And gives it more of that 'quest' feel.

Yes there is.

I took "map" to mean "picture showing all the keys".
I could take screenshots of it and then post them as a .jpg if you like. :p

Oh, I had forgotten I did that!
But you're right; that does make it a bit more challenging.
And gives it more of that 'quest' feel.
Another thing to note is that there are two specific characters to whom none of this applies. Davy Jones' curse is that he can never go ashore. And I don't know what @GhostOfDeath91 has in mind for Ricardo Orellana but it probably doesn't involve coins!

I could take screenshots of it and then post them as a .jpg if you like. :p
:razz

My imagination had a picture of a keyboard layout with arrows pointing what the buttons are for.
But it's a lot of buttons. That would probably get messy.
Plus pain to update when something changes again.

I suppose that explains why we stuck with the simple text file. :cheeky

I started on a on foot let me know if you guys would like this and I can tweak/clean it up more. Also working on the sailing layouts then would add small notes that are in the document for all the visual people out there.

Attachments

• on foot new horizons layout.jpg
    on foot new horizons layout.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 332
My imagination had a picture of a keyboard layout with arrows pointing what the buttons are for.
But it's a lot of buttons. That would probably get messy.
Plus pain to update when something changes again.

I suppose that explains why we stuck with the simple text file. :cheeky
Some keys have different effects depending on context. W, S, A and D do various things depending on whether you're on land, at sea in 3D, or on the worldmap. Mouse buttons also do different things depending on whether you're on land or sea. So do numbers, especially 1-4 (top row, not numeric keypad).

I started on a on foot let me know if you guys would like this and I can tweak/clean it up more. Also working on the sailing layouts then would add small notes that are in the document for all the visual people out there.
There's also F8 - take a screenshot. This will go to the top level of the game installation folder as "seadogs*.tga", with "*" being a different number for each picture. You'll probably get several copies of each shot.

Sidestep only works if you have edited "InternalSettings.h" to allow it. If you do that, you can also enable cheatmode, in which case the numeric keypad keys do the cheating in various ways.

Going to do the castaway start, starting from scratch will be tough but rewarding
Maximum challenge! :cheers

I like it!
Looks like something that would fit nicely in the mod's Documentation folder. :onya

Thanks for all the input to a newbie guys much appreciated I'll keep refining a layout for the forum as my thank you for being helpful. Let's just say castaway first playthrough rough so after 4 tries of trial and error I'm doing army veteran start tonight and going through tutorial. I'll do castaway once I master the mechanics.

Sounds wise.
Tutorial does help to understand the game.
Even if it makes for quite a dull start. :p

I think if you choose the full tutorial, you can't leave the cabin at least until you've equipped your gear and gone through the weapon's locker and then you are forced to go ashore and do the chores, I think you can't even leave the island straight away until you've sorted that out, but I could be mistaken there.

Maybe there's an option to back out, but when I do it it's because I'm pushing space too fast to skip the inital dialogue, so I probably miss that option too.

Indeed I do recall you need to get the gear.
But that's sorted in two minutes.

The chores have to be done regardless of following the tutorial.
Only choice that you have is whether you want to chase after Malcolm or do things yourself.

At each stage of the tutorial, you have to complete the whole stage, then there should be an option in the dialog to end the tutorial. So, if you started with the option for the full tutorial, you'll certainly need to collect your gear from the locker, then you may be able to end the tutorial.

Even if you skip the full tutorial, you do indeed still have the preliminary quests - buy spyglass, sell cargo, repair ship, hire crew. In theory, these should all disappear if you have not completed them when you put to sea. However, the code which closes the quests is in case "Story_leavingOxbay", which is triggered from case "begining":
Code:
           if (!CheckQuestAttribute("StartAdventure", "begin")) {
               pchar.quest.Story_LeavingOxbay.win_condition.l1 = "location";
               pchar.quest.Story_LeavingOxbay.win_condition.l1.location = "Oxbay";
               pchar.quest.Story_LeavingOxbay.win_condition = "Story_leavingOxbay";
           }
That's fine if you start as a British character. You start at Speightstown. Location "Oxbay" is the sea around Barbados. So when you put to sea, case "Story_leavingOxbay" is triggered and the quests are closed.

If you start as any other nationality, you start somewhere else. You go to sea at some other island. The quests won't close unless you then sail to Barbados.

So I tried changing "begining" to this:
Code:
           switch(GetCurrentFlag())
           {
               case ENGLAND: homeisland = "Oxbay"; break;
               case FRANCE: homeisland = "FalaiseDeFleur"; break;
               case SPAIN: homeisland = "IslaMuelle"; break;
               case PIRATE: homeisland = "QuebradasCostillas"; break;
               case HOLLAND: homeisland = "Douwesen"; break;
               case PORTUGAL: homeisland = "Conceicao"; break;
               case AMERICA: homeisland = "Eleuthera"; break;
               homeisland = "Oxbay";
           }
           if (!CheckQuestAttribute("StartAdventure", "begin")) {
               pchar.quest.cancel_tutorial.win_condition.l1 = "location";
               pchar.quest.cancel_tutorial.win_condition.l1.location = homeisland;
               pchar.quest.cancel_tutorial.win_condition = "cancel_tutorial";
           }
This sets a variable "homeisland" depending on your nationality, then triggers "cancel_tutorial" if you leave that island. ("cancel_tutorial" is "Story_leavingOxbay", renamed because this is FreePlay and there is no story. xD)

Put this into "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\quests", overwriting the existing file. You should then be able to start as a non-British character, skip the tutorial, go to sea wherever you start, and the preliminary quests should close down.

Something similar can probably be done for "Tales of a Sea Hawk", though it's less important because even if you started somewhere other than Barbados, you'll be sailing there very soon to start the story. (If you don't want to start the story, why are you playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk"? :D)

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    53.5 KB · Views: 173
Back